- •Many co-morbidities arise after FND diagnosis.
- •High levels of pain, fatigue and sleep problems before FND diagnosis.
- •Fibromyalgia and CFS/ME were the commonest co-morbidities in this population.
- •High rate of dissatisfaction with care provision.
Abbreviations:FND (Functional Neurological Disorder)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
- Functional Disorders in the Neurology Section of ICD-11: A Landmark Opportunity.Neurology. 2014; 83: 2299-2301
WHO (2011). ICD-11 – Mortality and Morbidity Statistics. World Health Organisation. Available at: https://icd.who.int/browse11/l-m/en#/http%3A%2F%2Fid.who.int%2Ficd%2Fentity%2F108180424.
- Somatoform Disorders Among First-Time Referrals to a Neurology Service.Psychosomatics. 2005; 46: 540-548
- Medically Unexplained Symptoms in Frequent Attenders of Secondary Health Care: Retrospective Cohort Study.Br Med J. 2001; 322: 767-769
- Do Medically Unexplained Symptoms Matter? A Prospective Cohort Study of 300 New Referrals to Neurology Outpatient Clinics.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2000; 68: 207-210
- The symptom of functional weakness: a controlled study of 107 patients.Brain. 2010; 133: 1537-1551
- Who Is Referred to Neurology Clinics? The Diagnoses Made in 3781 New Patients.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2010; 112: 747-751
- Assessment of Emergency Department and Inpatient Use and Costs in Adult and Paediatric Functional Neurological Disorders.JAMA Neurol. 2020; 78: 88-101
- Epidemiology.Handb Clin Neurol. 2016; 139: 47-60
- A Service Evaluation of the Experiences of Patients With Functional Neurological Disorders Within the NHS.Front Neurol. 2021; 12
- International Online Survey of 1048 Individuals with Functional Neurological Disorder Journal.Eur J Neurol. 2021; 28: 3591-3602
- The Impact of Non-Motor Symptoms on the Health-Related Quality of Life in Patients with Functional Movement Disorders.J Psychosom Res. 2018; 115: 32-37
- Neuropsychiatric Factors Linked to Adherence and Short-Term Outcome in a U.S. Functional Neurological Disorders Clinic: A Retrospective Cohort Study.J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2018; 30: 152-159
- “A Unifying Theory for Cognitive Abnormalities in Functional Neurological Disorders, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Systematic Review.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2018; 89: 1308-1319
- Attentional Processing and Interpretative Bias in Functional Neurological Disorder.Psychosom Med. 2020; 82: 586-592
- Characteristics of Patients with Motor Functional Neurological Disorder in a Large UK Mental Health Service: A Case-Control Study.Psychol Med. 2020; 50: 446-455
- Functional Motor Disorders Associated with Other Neurological Diseases: Beyond the Boundaries of ‘Organic’ Neurology.Eur J Neurol. 2021; 28: 1752-1758
- Undiagnosing’ Neurological Disease: How to do It, and when not to.Pract Neurol. 2014; 14: 436-439
- Functional Neurological Disorder and Multiple Sclerosis: A Systematic Review of Misdiagnosis and Clinical Overlap.J Neurol. 2021; 1: 1432-1459
- Functional Movement Disorder Comorbidity in Parkinson’s Disease: Unraveling the Web.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2021; 82: 138-145
- Clinical and Demographic Characteristics of Patients with Functional Movement Disorders: A Consecutive Cohort Study from a Specialized Clinic.Acta Neurol Belg. 2021; 112
- Functional Neurological Disorder after COVID-19 Vaccination.Neurol Sci. 2021; 42: 10 42(10): 3989-3990
- “A Practical Review of Functional Neurological Disorder (FND) for the General Physician.Clin Med. 2021; 21: 28-36
- Management of Functional Neurological Disorder.J Neurol. 2020; 267: 2164-2172
- Outcome measurement in functional neurological disorder: a systematic review and recommendations.Neuropsychiatry. 2020; 91: 638-649
- Decade of progress in motor functional neurological disorder: continuing the momentum.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2021; 92: 668-677
- Rapid Response to: Recognising and Explaining Functional Neurological Disorder, Working Together.BMJ. 2020; 371m3745
- Functional Neurological Disorders in Outpatient Practice: An Australian Cohort.J Clin Neurosci. 2016; 28: 93-96
- A Bayesian Account of ‘Hysteria.Brain. 2012; 135: 3495-3512
Carson A, Hallett M, Stone Jf. 2016. Assessment of Patients with Functional Neurologic Disorders. Vol. 139. 1st ed. Elsevier B.V.
- Fatigue in Hypokinetic, Hyperkinetic, and Functional Movement Disorders.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2021; 86: 114-123
- Interoception relates to sleep and sleep disorders.Curr Opin Behav Sci. 2020; 33: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cobeha.2019.11.008
- Interoceptive awareness in patients with functional neurological symptoms.Biol Psychol. 2016; 113: 68-74https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsycho.2015.10.009
- Psychiatric comorbidities in Functional Movement Disorders: A retrospective Cohort Study.Movement Disorders Clin Practice. 2021; 8: 725-732
- Sleep disturbance and psychiatric disorders.Lancet Psychiatry. 2020; 7: 628-637
- Briquet Syndrome Revisited: Implications for Functional Neurological Disorder.Brain Commun. 2020; 2
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome and Functional Neurological Disorders-Time for Reconciliation.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2019; 90: 608-614
- Functional neurological disorder 2.0?.Brain Commun. 2020; 2: fcaa156
- The occurrence of sleep-disordered breathing among middle-aged adults.N Engl J Med. 1993; 328: 1230-1235
- Prevalence of restless legs syndrome in functional movement disorders: a case-control study from the Czech Republic.BMJ Open. 2019; 9: e024236-e
Public health England. (2016, September). Diabetes Prevalence Model [Dataset]. Public Health England. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/612306/Diabetesprevalencemodelbriefing.pdf.
Health Survey for England (2020 2019 NHS digital December) https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/statistical/health-survey-for-england/2019#.
- The Relationship Between Obesity and Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders Causation, Association, or Neither?.Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008; 4: 572-578
- The relationship between types of life events and the onset of functional neurological (conversion) disorder in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Psychol Med. 2021; 25: 1-18
- Life adverse experiences in relation with obesity and binge eating disorder: A systematic review.J Behav Addict. 2016; 5: 11-31
- Change in Pain and Physical Function Following Bariatric Surgery for Severe Obesity.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1362
- The effects of physical activity on psychogenic movement disorders.Mov Disord. 2010; 25: 421-425
- The Prevalence and Disability Burden of Adult Migraine in England and their Relationships to Age, Gender and Ethnicity.Cephalalgia. 2003; 23: 519-527
- Functional Neurological Disorder After SARS-CoV-2 Vaccines: Two Case Reports and Discussion of Potential Public Health Implications.J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2021; 33: 345-348
- What Is the Role of a Specialist Assessment Clinic for FND? Lessons From Three National Referral Centers.J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2020; 32: 79-84
- Multidisciplinary clinic for functional movement disorders (FMD): 1-year experience from a single centre.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2018; 89: 1011-1012
- Diagnosing functional neurological disorder: seeing the whole picture.CNS Spectr. 2020; : 1-8
- Should neurologists diagnose and manage functional neurologic disorders? It is complicated.Neurology: Clin Practice. 2018; 9: 165-167
- Favourable outcome without psychotherapy in patients with functional neurologic disorder.J Clin Neurosci. 2020; 71: 141
- Occupational therapy consensus recommendations for functional neurological disorder.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2020; 91: 1037-1045
- Management of functional communication, swallowing, cough and related disorders: consensus recommendations for speech and language therapy.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2021; 92: 1112-1125