- •The prognosis of patients with ventriculostomy related infection is poorly defined.
- •We found no increase in mortality in patients with ventriculostomy infections.
- •We found no evidence of worse functional neurological outcome.
- •Patients with ventriculostomy infection have increased use of healthcare resources.
Abbreviations:CNS (Central Nervous System), CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid), EVD (External Ventricular Drain), GOS (Glasgow Outcome Scale), LOS (Length of Stay), mRS (modified Rankin Scale), NOS (Newcastle Ottawa Scale), RoB2 (Revised Cochrane Risk of Bias scale), VRI (Ventriculostomy-related infection)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
- The insertion and management of external ventricular drains: an evidence-based consensus statement: a statement for healthcare professionals from the neurocritical care society.Neurocrit Care. 2016; 24: 61-81
- Neuromonitoring in the intensive care unit. I. Intracranial pressure and cerebral blood flow monitoring.Intensive Care Med. 2007; 33: 1263-1271
- A meta-analysis of ventriculostomy-associated cerebrospinal fluid infections.BMC Infect Dis. 2015; 15: 3
- 2016 Meningitis Collaborators. Global, regional, and national burden of meningitis, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.Lancet Neurol. 2018; 17: 1061-1082
- Bacterial external ventricular catheter-associated infection.Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2020; 18: 219-229
Page MJ, McKenzie JE, Bossuyt PM, et al. The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews. BMJ 2021;372:n71.
PubMed User Guide. National Library of Medicine, 2021. at https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/help/.).
- EndNote 20 desktop version.J Med Library Assoc: JMLA. 2021; 109: 520-522
The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses. The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute. (Accessed 31 March 2022, at http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.asp.).
Sterne JAC, Savović J, Page MJ, et al. RoB 2: a revised tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials. BMJ 2019;366:l4898.
- A simple confidence interval for meta-analysis.Stat Med. 2002; 21: 3153-3159
Higgins J, James Thomas, Jacqueline Chandler, et al. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Cochrane; 2021.
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test.BMJ. 1997; 315: 629-634
- The implementation of an external ventricular drain care bundle to reduce infection rates.Br J Neurosurg. 2020; 34: 181-186
- Reduction of drain-associated cerebrospinal fluid infections in neurosurgical inpatients: A prospective study.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 84: 215-221
- Incidence, predictors, and outcomes of ventriculostomy-associated infections in spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage.Neurocrit Care. 2016; 24: 389-396
- Evaluation of ventriculostomy management protocol in neuroritical care unit (NCCU).Intensive Care Med. 2012; 38: S275-S276
- Factors contributing to ventriculostomy infection.World Neurosurg. 2012; 77: 135-140
- Infection incidence associated with external ventriculostomy placement: a comparison of outcomes in the emergency department, intensive care unit, and operating room.World Neurosurg. 2018; 110: e135-e140
- Predictors of extraventricular drain-associated bacterial ventriculitis.J Crit Care. 2014; 29: 77-82
- Infection rate and risk factors associated with infections related to external ventricular drain.Infection. 2011; 39: 47-51
- Decreasing external ventricular drain-related infection rates with duration-independent, clinically indicated criteria for drain revision: a retrospective study.World Neurosurg. 2019; 131: e474-e481
Segura Pensado M, Porral Sanchez B, Menor Fernandez EM, et al. External ventricular drainage-related infection in neurocritical patients. Intensive Care Medicine Experimental Conference: 32nd European Society of Intensive Care Medicine Annual Congress, ESICM 2019;7.
- Ventriculostomy-related infections in critically ill patients: a 6-year experience.J Neurosurg. 2005; 103: 468-472
- Predictors of ventriculostomy infection in a large single-center cohort.J Neurosurg. 2020; : 1-8
- Ventriculostomy-associated infections: incidence and risk factors.Am J Infect Control. 2005; 33: 137-143
- Ventriculitis complicating use of intraventricular catheters in adult neurosurgical patients.Clin Infect Dis. 2001; 33: 2028-2033
- Rates and determinants of ventriculostomy-related infections during a hospital transition to use of antibiotic-coated external ventricular drains.Neurosurg Focus. 2013; 34: E12
- CSF antibiotic prophylaxis for neurosurgical patients with ventriculostomy: a randomised study.Acta Neurochir Suppl. 1998; 71: 146-148
- Clinical analysis of external ventricular drainage related ventriculitis.J Korean Neurosurgical Soc. 2007; 41: 236-240
Hagel S, Bruns T, Pletz MW, Engel C, Kalff R, Ewald C. External ventricular drain infections: risk factors and outcome. Interdiscip Perspect Infect Dis 2014;2014:708531.
- Patterns of health care costs due to external ventricular drain infections.World Neurosurg. 2019; 128: e31-e37
- Delays in the administration of antibiotics are associated with mortality from adult acute bacterial meningitis.QJM. 2005; 98: 291-298
- Time to antibiotic therapy and outcome in bacterial meningitis: a Danish population-based cohort study.BMC Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 392
- Ventriculostomy-related infections: The performance of different definitions for diagnosing infection.Br J Neurosurg. 2016; 30: 49-56
- Factors and measures predicting external CSF drain-associated ventriculitis: A review and meta-analysis.Neurology. 2019; 93: 964-972
- The course of cerebrospinal fluid parameters </= 20 days after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage.J Neurol Sci. 2020; 415116899
- Validity of administrative data in recording sepsis: a systematic review.Crit Care. 2015; 19: 139
- Sepsis incidence and mortality are underestimated in Australian intensive care unit administrative data.Med J Aust. 2018; 209: 255-260