- •SOEC type 2 was the most detected type (71.3%).
- •In more pneumatized SOEC presence, AEA notch-ethmoid roof distance increases.
- •The surgeons should be more careful not to damage AEA in well-pneumatized SOECs (SOEC Type 3).
We investigated supraorbital ethmoid cell (SOEC) presence and types in paranasal sinus computed tomography (PNSCT).
The PNSCT images of 188 adult patients (93 males and 95 females) were evaluated as SOEC group (n = 87 sides), and non-SOEC group (n = 289 sides, control). In both groups, anterior ethmoid artery (AEA) notch-ethmoid roof distance and presence of AEA canal were evaluated. In the SOEC group, SOEC types (type 1 to 3) and SOEC angle are also examined.
SOEC was detected in 87 sides (23.13 %). SOEC type 2 was the most detected type (71.3 %). AEA notch-ethmoid roof distance of the SOEC group was significantly higher than those in the non-SOEC group. AEA notch-ethmoid roof distance of the SOEC Type 3 group was significantly higher than SOEC Type 2 group. AEA notch-ethmoid roof distance was 3.74 ± 1.81 mm in the SOEC group and 0.68 ± 1.16 mm in the non-SOEC group. When SOEC types were considered, this distance was 5.29 ± 2.66 mm in type 3, 3.35 ± 1.35 mm in type 2 and 3.48 ± 0.92 mm in type 1. In higher SOEC types, SOEC angle; and AEA notch-ethmoid roof distance increased.
In more pneumatized SOEC presence, SOEC angle increase, and AEA notch-ethmoid roof distance increases, AEA runs inferiorly in the ethmoid cells and freely below the skull base; and is more susceptible to injury. The surgeons should be more careful not to damage AEA in the FESS when detecting well-pneumatized SOECs (SOEC Type 3).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Complications of endoscopic intranasal ethmoidectomy.Lary ngoscope. 1987; 97: 273
- Cerebrospinal fluid fistula and endoscopic sinus surgery.Lary ngoscope. 1991; 101: 250-256
- Fatal and major complications secondary to nasal and sinus surgery.Lary ngoscope. 1989; 99: 276-283
- Complications of endoscopic sinus surgery.Oto/ary ngol Clin North A m. 1989; 22: 49-758
- Functional endoscopic sinus surgery: evaluation, surgery, and follow-up of 250 patients.Lary ngoscope. 1990; 100: 79-84
- Complications in endoscopic intranasal ethmoidectomy: an update.Lary ngoscope. 1989; 99: 686-690
- Fatal and other major complications of endoscopic sinus surgery.Lary ngoscope. 1991; 1: 349-354
- Endoscopic endonasal surgery: concepts in treatment of recurring rhinosinusitis. II. Surgical technique.Otolary ngol Head Neck Surg. 1986; 94: 147-156
- Endoscopic paranasal sinus surgery: radiographic evaluation of severe complications.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1992; 13: 1161-1167
- Anatomical basis of the surgical approach to the medial wall of the orbit.Anat Clin. 1985; 7: 15-21
- Supraorbital ethmoid cell.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1997; 116: 254-261
- Supraorbital ethmoid cell: a consistent landmark for endoscopic identification of the anterior ethmoidal artery.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014; 151: 1073-1077
- The important adjacent structures for anterior ethmoidal artery in FESS: Anterior ethmoidal artery canal angle, supraorbital ethmoid cells and Keros classification.J Clin Neurosci. 2022; 98: 207-212
- Radiological correlation between the anterior ethmoidal artery and the supraorbital ethmoid cell.Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010; 62: 299-303
- Two faces of orbital hematoma in intranasal (endoscopic) sinus surgery.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1999; 120: 841-847
- Computed tomographic and endoscopic analysis of supraorbital ethmoid cells.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007; 137: 562-568
- Comparison of frontal pneumatization patterns between Koreans and Caucasians.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006; 135: 780-786
- Radiological anatomy of the ethmoidal arteries: CT cadaver study.Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp. 2011; 62: 367-374
- Analysis of the relationship between the location of the anterior ethmoid artery and Keros classification.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017; 157: 320-324
- The surgeon’s view of the anterior ethmoid artery.Clin Otolaryngol. 2006; 31: 187-191
- Reliability of the supraorbital ethmoid cell vs Keros classification in predicting the course of the anterior ethmoid artery.Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2019; 9: 821-824
- Anatomical variations of anterior ethmoidal artery and their significance in endoscopic sinus surgery: a systematic review.Surg Radiol Anat. 2019; 41: 491-499
Accepted: February 7, 2023
Received: November 28, 2022
© 2023 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.