- •Dysphagia is a major disorder in patients with MS, yet its prevalence is unknown.
- •54 of 997 reviewed records made it to the meta-analysis, encompassing 11266 MS cases.
- •The overall prevalence of dysphagia across all the included studies was 44.8%.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Neurologic impairment and disability status in outpatients with multiple sclerosis reporting dysphagia symptomatology.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 1997; 11: 7-13
- The frequency of dysphagia and its impact on adults with multiple sclerosis based on patient-reported questionnaires.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2018; 25: 227-231
- Electrophysiological patterns of oropharyngeal swallowing in multiple sclerosis.Clin Neurophysiol. 2013; 124: 1638-1645
- Gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with degenerative neurological disorders: Multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease.QJM. 2011; 104: 353
- Relapsing remitting multiples sclerosis (RR-MS) IN Chile. Evolution of dysphagia and dysarthria in 84 patients.Mult Scler J. 2012; 18: 1862
Barcikova A, Prochazkova L, Cingelova M, Martinkova J. Dysphagia in patients with multiple sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis. 2007;13:S121--S.
- Prevalence and risk factors of dysphagia in patients with multiple sclerosis.Dysphagia. 2021;
- Polygraphic evaluation of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler J. 2016; 22: 864
- Myotonometric comparison of sternocleidomastoideus and masseter muscles in multiple sclerosis patients with swallowing problem and healthy individuals.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2022; 57103387
- Electrophysiological evaluation of dysphagia in the mild or moderate patients with multiple sclerosis: A concept of subclinical dysphagia.Dysphagia. 2015; 30: 296-303
- The DYMUS questionnaire for the assessment of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis.J Neurol Sci. 2008; 269: 49-53
- Validation of the DYMUS questionnaire for the assessment of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis.Funct Neurol. 2009; 24: 159-162
- Dysphagia in multiple sclerosis - Prevalence and prognostic factors.Acta Neurol Scand. 2002; 105: 40-43
- Screening and typology of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis.Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2013; : 56
- Oropharyngeal and oesophageal dysphagia in MS: pathophysiology, severity and risk factors.Mult Scler J. 2015; 21: 517
- Comparing the DYMUS dysphagia screening questionnaire with the video fluoroscopic swallow study in MS: a pilot study.Mult Scler J. 2019; 25: 410
- Prevalence and risk factors of dysphagia in patients with multiple sclerosis.Dysphagia. 2022; 37: 21-27
- Prevalence of multiple sclerosis (MS) in Iran: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Neurol Sci. 2022; 43: 233-241
- Global assessment of characteristics of multiple sclerosis registries; A systematic review.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2022; 63103928
- Newcastle-Ottawa Scale: comparing reviewers’ to authors’ assessments.BMC Med Res Method. 2014; 14: 45
- Orofacial symptoms in patients with multiple sclerosis.Acta Stomatol Croat. 2019; 53: 286
- Multiple sclerosis: impact on oral hygiene, dysphagia, and quality of life.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17
- Clinical assessment of orofacial manifestations in 500 patients with multiple sclerosis.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013; 71: 290-294
- Screening of dysphagia in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis patients in Montenegro.Neurosciences. 2021; 26: 331-338
- The relationship between dysphagia, respiratory functions and anthropometry in patients with multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2021; 55
- Depicting neurogenic dysphagia in a sample of Egyptian multiple sclerosis patients.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2018; 26: 237-238
- Oropharyngeal dysphagia in patients with multiple sclerosis: Do the disease classification scales reflect dysphagia severity?.Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2013; 79: 460-465
- Orofacial evaluation in patients with multiple sclerosis using nordic orofacial test-screening.Clin Oral Invest. 2017; 21: 1681-1685
- Prevalence of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Neurol Sci. 2015; 36: 671-681
Hartelius L, Svensson P. Speech and swallowing symptoms associated with Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis: a survey. Folia Phoniatr Logop. 1994;46(1):9--17 , pmid = 8162135.
- Validation of the Persian version of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis questionnaire for the assessment of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis.Iran J Neurol. 2018; 17: 99-104
- Self-reported changes in cognition, communication and swallowing in multiple sclerosis: data from the Swedish multiple sclerosis registry and from a national survey.Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2021; 73: 50-62
- Perceptions of the impact of speech, language, swallowing, and hearing difficulties on quality of life of a group of South African persons with multiple sclerosis.Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2002; 54: 201-221
Levinthal DJ, Rahman A, Nusrat S, O'Leary M, Heyman R, Bielefeldt K. Adding to the burden: gastrointestinal symptoms and syndromes in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler Int. 2013;2013:319201 , pmid = 24163768.
- Oropharyngeal dysphagia in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS): Clinical and videofluoroscopy study (VFS).Gastroenterology. 2005; 128 (A636–A)
- Dysphagia and quality of life in multiple sclerosis patients.Eur J Neurol. 2021; 28: 912
- The prevalence and types of oral- and pharyngeal-stage dysphagia in patients with demyelinating diseases based on subjective assessment by the study subjects.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020; 37
- Methodological quality of case series studies: an introduction to the JBI critical appraisal tool.JBI Evidence Synthesis. 2020; 18
- Diagnostic evaluation of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis patients using a Persian version of DYMUS questionnaire.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2017; 17: 240-243
- Evaluation of the swallowing in 31 patients with Multiple Sclerosis by speech therapist.J Neurol Sci. 2005; 238 (S247–S)
- Oropharyngeal dysphagia in multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler J. 2010; 16: 362-365
- The modified DYMUS questionnaire is a reliable, valid and easy-to-use tool in the assessment of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis.Eur J Neurol. 2020; 27: 1231-1237
- Dysphagia prevalence, attitudes, and related quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis.Dysphagia. 2020; 35: 677-684
- Validation of DYMUS-NL for swallowing function in MS.Mult Scler J. 2018; 24: 848-849
- Swallowing disorder in multiple sclerosis: modified version of the screening tool.Arch Rehab. 2020; 21: 236-255
- Depression, anxiety, and stress relative to swallowing impairment in persons with multiple sclerosis.Dysphagia. 2021; 36 (pmid = 33783621): 902-909
- Translation, cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the Portuguese version of the DYMUS questionnaire for the assessment of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis.Springerplus. 2013; 2 (pmid = 23961403): 332
- Accuracy of the brazilian version of the DYMUS questionnaire for the assessment of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis.Dysphagia. 2019; 34: 962
Santos VAD, Vieira ACC, Silva HJD. Electrical activity of the masseter and supra hyoid muscles during swallowing of patients with multiple sclerosis. CoDAS. 2019;31(6):e20180207 , shorttitle = Atividade el \' e trica dos m \' u sculos masseter e supra-hi \' o ideo durante a degluti \c c \∼ a o do paciente com esclerose m \' u ltipla.
- Prevalence of dysphagia in a consecutive cohort of subjects with MS using fibre-optic endoscopy.Neurol Sci. 2020; 41: 1075-1079
- Prevalence of patient-reported dysphagia in multiple sclerosis patients: An Italian multicenter study (using the DYMUS questionnaire).J Neurol Sci. 2013; 331: 94-97
- Screening of dysphagia by DYMUS (Dysphagia in multiple sclerosis) and SWALQoL (Swallowing quality of life) surveys in patients with multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020; 45
- Prevalence and predictors of dysphagia in Iranian patients with multiple sclerosis.Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2017; 31: 882-885
- Validity and reliability of the Turkish version of the questionnaire for the assessment of Dysphagia in multiple sclerosis.Noropsikiyatri Arsivi. 2018; 55: 243-247
- Dysphagia and nutritional status in multiple sclerosis.J Neurol. 1999; 246: 677-682
- DYMUS questionnaire for dysphagia in multiple sclerosis: French validation and clinical considerations.Mult Scler J. 2013; 19: 356
- Swallowing abnormalities in multiple sclerosis: correlation between videofluoroscopy and subjective symptoms.Eur Radiol. 2002; 12: 789-792
- Evaluation of oropharyngeal dysphagia in patients with multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler J. 2017; 23: 906-907
- Dysphagia in multiple sclerosis - A cross sectional correlational study (#2).Mult Scler. 2012; 18: S53-S54
- Prevalence of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis and its related factors: systematic review and meta-analysis.Iran J Neurol. 2018; 17: 180-188