- •Palliative care consultation rate for elderly patients with traumatic brain injury (TBI) is low.
- •Baseline dementia and severe TBI are associated with palliative care consultation.
- •Average palliative care consultation timing was at 8.6 days.
- •Patients with palliative care had longer admissions, more days intubated, and higher costs.
- •Patients with earlier-than-average palliative care had lower costs and shorter hospitalization.
Abbreviations:ED (Emergency department), GCS (Glasgow Coma Score), ISS (Injury severity score), ICD (International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Problems), ICU (Intensive care unit), LOS (Length of stay), NIS (National Inpatient Sample), PC (Palliative care), TBI (Traumatic brain injury)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Long-term survival of adult trauma patients.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1001-1007https://doi.org/10.1001/JAMA.2011.259
- Geriatric trauma: demographics, injuries, and mortality.J Orthop Trauma. 2012; 26: e161-e165https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0B013E3182324460
Report to Congress – Traumatic Brain Injury in the United States: Epidemiology and Rehabilitation; 2015.
Traumatic Brain Injury Data. Centers Dis Control Prev; 2022.
- Prediction of mortality in critically-ill elderly trauma patients: a single centre retrospective observational study and comparison of the performance of trauma scores.Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2020; 28https://doi.org/10.1186/S13049-020-00788-9
ACS TQIP Palliative Care Best Practices Guidelines. Trauma Qual Improv Progr; 2017.
- Quality of life up to 10 years after traumatic brain injury: a cross-sectional analysis.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2020; 18https://doi.org/10.1186/S12955-020-01391-3
- Dementia risk after traumatic brain injury vs nonbrain trauma: the role of age and severity.JAMA Neurol. 2014; 71: 1490-1497https://doi.org/10.1001/JAMANEUROL.2014.2668
- Utilization and Delivery of Specialty Palliative Care in the ICU: Insights from the Palliative Care Quality Network.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2022; 63: e611-e619
- Inpatient palliative care utilization for patients with brain metastases.Neuro-Oncol Pract. 2021; 8: 441-450
- Palliative Care for Extracorporeal Life Support: Insights From the National Inpatient Sample.Am Surg. 2021; 87: 1621-1626https://doi.org/10.1177/00031348211024232
- Palliative Care Consultations in Patients with Severe Traumatic Brain Injury: Who Receives Palliative Care Consultations and What Does that Mean for Utilization?.Neurocrit Care. 2022; 36: 781-790
- Older Patients With Severe Traumatic Brain Injury: National Variability in Palliative Care.J Surg Res. 2020; 246: 224-230https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JSS.2019.09.002
- Dying of Traumatic Brain Injury-Palliative Care too Soon, or too Late?.JAMA Surg. 2020; 155: 731https://doi.org/10.1001/JAMASURG.2020.1810
- Who, why and when: stroke care unit patients seen by a palliative care service within a large metropolitan teaching hospital.BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2013; 3: 77-83https://doi.org/10.1136/BMJSPCARE-2012-000331
- Palliative care needs of patients with neurologic or neurosurgical conditions.Eur J Neurol. 2008; 15: 1265-1272https://doi.org/10.1111/J.1468-1331.2008.02319.X
- Characteristics, findings, and outcomes of palliative care inpatient consultations at a comprehensive cancer center.J Palliat Med. 2007; 10: 948-955https://doi.org/10.1089/JPM.2006.0257
- Traumatic Brain Injury in Older Adults: Characteristics, Outcomes, and Considerations. Results From the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma Geriatric Traumatic Brain Injury (GERI-TBI) Multicenter Trial.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2022; 23: 568-575.e1
- Palliative care needs and symptom patterns of hospitalized elders referred for consultation.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2011; 42: 410-418https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JPAINSYMMAN.2010.12.005
- Impact, challenges and limits of inpatient palliative care consultations - perspectives of requesting and conducting physicians.BMC Health Serv Res. 2020; 20https://doi.org/10.1186/S12913-020-4936-X
- Economics of palliative care for cancer: Interpreting current evidence, mapping future priorities for research.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 980-986https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.18.02294
Chung TH, Nguyen LK, Lal LS, et al. Palliative Care Consultation in the Intensive Care Unit Reduces Hospital Costs: A Cost-Analysis. J Palliat Care. 2022. doi:10.1177/08258597221095986.
- Differences in Characteristics, Hospital Care, and Outcomes between Acute Critically Ill Emergency Department Patients Receiving Palliative Care and Usual Care.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021; 18: 12546
- Palliative Care Consultation and Cost of Stay in out of Hospital Cardiac Arrest.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2022; 39: 1333-1336
- Economic Impact of Early Inpatient Palliative Care Intervention in a Community Hospital Setting.J Palliat Med. 2018; 21: 933-939https://doi.org/10.1089/JPM.2017.0416
- Proactive palliative care in the medical intensive care unit: effects on length of stay for selected high-risk patients.Crit Care Med. 2007; 35: 1530-1535https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000266533.06543.0C
- Prospective Cohort Study of Hospital Palliative Care Teams for Inpatients With Advanced Cancer: Earlier Consultation Is Associated With Larger Cost-Saving Effect.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 2745-2752