- •Clinically meaningful and statistically significant improvements in motor function and behavior observed following a novel robotic rehabilitation two-week program in 18 patients with prior hemispherectomy.
- •Training camps enhance patient and parent confidence in task performance.
- •Rehabilitation related improvement in motor function and behavior years after hemispherectomy procedure suggest continued long-term neuroplasticity.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hemispherectomy in adults and adolescents: Seizure and functional outcomes in 47 patients.Epilepsia. 2019; 60: 2416-2427
- Long-term functional outcomes and their predictors after hemispherectomy in 115 children.Epilepsia. 2013; 54: 1771-1779
- Functional brain reorganization in children.Brain Dev. 1996; 18: 347-356https://doi.org/10.1016/0387-7604(96)00032-0
- “A journey around the world”: Parent narratives of the journey to pediatric resective epilepsy surgery and beyond.Epilepsia. Jun 2015; 56: 822-832https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.12988
- Cognitive outcome of surgery.Handb Clin Neurol. 2013; 111: 797-802https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-52891-9.00082-8
- Hemispherectomy: a basis for mental development in children with epilepsy.Epileptic Disord. Mar 2011; 13: 47-55https://doi.org/10.1684/epd.2011.0403
- Contralateral MRI abnormalities affect seizure and cognitive outcome after hemispherectomy.Neurology. 2010; 75: 1623-1630
- Cognitive outcome of parietooccipital resection in children with epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2010; 51: 2047-2057https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2010.02651.x
- Locomotor training remodels fMRI sensorimotor cortical activations in children after cerebral hemispherectomy.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2007; 21: 497-508https://doi.org/10.1177/1545968307299523
- Intensive mobility training postcerebral hemispherectomy: early surgery shows best functional improvements.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2011; 47: 569-577
- Constraint-induced movement therapy for individuals after cerebral hemispherectomy: a case series.Phys Ther. 2009; 89: 361-369https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20070240
Robert MT, Ferre CL, Chin KY, et al. Intensive Bimanual Intervention for Children Who Have Undergone Hemispherectomy: A Pilot Study. Pediatr Phys Ther. 07 01 2021;33(3):120-127. doi:10.1097/PEP.0000000000000804.
- Altered contralateral sensorimotor system organization after experimental hemispherectomy: a structural and functional connectivity study.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2015; 35: 1358-1367
- Cerebellar pathway changes following cerebral hemispherectomy.J Child Neurol. 2013; 28: 1548-1554https://doi.org/10.1177/0883073812455101
- Surgical approaches to treating epilepsy in children.Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2012; 14: 620-629https://doi.org/10.1007/s11940-012-0203-8
- A retrospective study comparing preoperative evaluations and postoperative outcomes in paediatric and adult patients undergoing surgical resection for refractory epilepsy.Seizure. 2012; 21: 444-449
- Contralateral MRI abnormalities in candidates for hemispherectomy for refractory epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2010; 51: 556-563
- Speaking with a single cerebral hemisphere: fMRI language organization after hemispherectomy in childhood.Brain Lang. 2008; 106: 195-203https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bandl.2008.01.010
Hazany S, Mann D, Bagrodia N, et al. Cortical change after a 2-week novel robotic rehabilitation program in children with prior hemispherectomy: pilot imaging study. Childs Nerv Syst. Sep 10 2022;doi:10.1007/s00381-022-05664-8.
- fMRI and DTI assessment of patients undergoing radical epilepsy surgery.Epilepsy Res. 2013; 104: 253-263
- Residual motor control and cortical representations of function following hemispherectomy: effects of etiology.J Child Neurol. 2005; 20: 64-75
Holloway V, Gadian DG, Vargha-Khadem F, Porter DA, Boyd SG, Connelly A. The reorganization of sensorimotor function in children after hemispherectomy. A functional MRI and somatosensory evoked potential study. Brain : a journal of neurology. Dec 2000;123 Pt 12:2432-44.
- Somatosensory representation in patients who have undergone hemispherectomy: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study.J Neurosurg. 2000; 92: 45-51https://doi.org/10.3171/jns.2000.92.1.0045
- Regionalized sensorimotor plasticity after hemispherectomy fMRI evaluation.Pediatr Neurol. 1998; 19: 337-342
- Reorganization of sensorimotor function after functional hemispherectomy studied using near-infrared spectroscopy.Pediatr Neurosurg. 2011; 46: 313-317
- Interhemispheric reorganization of motor hand function to the primary motor cortex predicted with functional magnetic resonance imaging and transcranial magnetic stimulation.J Child Neurol. 2002; 17: 292-297
- Multimodal assessment of motor pathways and intracortical connections in functional hemispherectomy.Childs Nerv Syst. 2020; 36: 3085-3093
Jacokes Z, Bhattrai A, Torgerson C, et al. Chapter 12: The Neuroimaging Challenges in Hemispherectomy Patients. Traumatic Brain Injury; Rehabilitation, treatment, and Case Management4th ed. Springer; 2016.
- Robot-assisted Therapy in Stroke Rehabilitation.J Stroke. Sep 2013; 15: 174-181https://doi.org/10.5853/jos.2013.15.3.174
- The value of robotic systems in stroke rehabilitation.Expert Rev Med Devices. 2014; 11: 187-198
- Robotic Rehabilitation and Spinal Cord Injury: a Narrative Review.Neurotherapeutics. 2018; 15: 604-617
- Robotic orthosis lokomat: a rehabilitation and research tool.Neuromodulation. 2003; 6: 108-115https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1403.2003.03017.x
Chang JL, Saul M, Volpe BT. Practical Review of Robotics in the Treatment of Chronic Impairment After Acquired Brain Injury. In: J. E, ed. Acquired Brain Injury. 2nd ed. Springer, Cham; 2019:71-88:chap 5.
- Serious Games Strategies With Cable-Driven Robots for Bimanual Rehabilitation: A Randomized Controlled Trial With Post-Stroke Patients.Front Robot AI. 2022; 9739088https://doi.org/10.3389/frobt.2022.739088
- Robotic exoskeletons: a perspective for the rehabilitation of arm coordination in stroke patients.Front Hum Neurosci. 2014; 8https://doi.org/10.3389/fnhum.2014.00947
- Robot-Assisted Body-Weight-Supported Treadmill Training in Gait Impairment in Multiple Sclerosis Patients: A Pilot Study.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2018; 2018: 111-115https://doi.org/10.1007/5584_2018_158
Pérez-de la Cruz S. Use of Robotic Devices for Gait Training in Patients Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis: Current State of the Art. Sensors (Basel). Mar 28 2022;22(7)doi:10.3390/s22072580.
- Six-Minute Walk Test in Children and Adolescents.J Pediatr. 2007; 150: 395-399.e2
- The Canadian occupational performance measure: an outcome measure for occupational therapy.Can J Occup Ther. 1990; 57: 82-87https://doi.org/10.1177/000841749005700207
- Reporting outcomes of the Assisting Hand Assessment: what scale should be used?.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2012; 54: 807-808https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2012.04361.x
- The fugl-meyer assessment of motor recovery after stroke: a critical review of its measurement properties.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2002; 16: 232-240https://doi.org/10.1177/154596802401105171
- The 6-minute walk test and other clinical endpoints in duchenne muscular dystrophy: reliability, concurrent validity, and minimal clinically important differences from a multicenter study.Muscle Nerve. 2013; 48: 357-368
- Seizure and developmental outcomes after hemispherectomy in children and adolescents with intractable epilepsy.Childs Nerv Syst. 2013; 29: 475-488
- The cognitive outcome of hemispherectomy in 71 children.Epilepsia. 2004; 45: 243-254https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0013-9580.2004.15303.x
- Memory outcomes following hemispherectomy in children.Epilepsy Behav. 2020; 112: 107360