- •Surgical site infections in neurosurgery can result in significant morbidity.
- •Retrospective review conducted of all Deep Brain Stimulation surgeries.
- •An antibiotic envelope can prevent the onset of surgical site infections.
- •An antibiotic envelope is therefore a safe and well-tolerated adjunct.
- •No implant removal was required.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease.Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2003; 13: 696-706
- Deep brain stimulation for essential tremor.Neurology. 1996; 46: 1150-1153
- Long-term safety and efficacy of unilateral deep brain stimulation of the thalamus in essential tremor.Mov Disord. 2001; 16: 464-468
- Tourette's syndrome and deep brain stimulation.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2005; 76: 992-995
- Current and future directions of deep brain stimulation for neurological and psychiatric disorders.J Neurosurg. 2019; 131: 333-342
Mangram AJ, Horan TC, Pearson ML, Silver LC, Jarvis WR. Guideline for prevention of surgical site infection, 1999. Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1999;20:250-78; quiz 79-80.
- Management of device-related wound complications in deep brain stimulation surgery.J Neurosurg. 2012; 116: 1324-1332
- Risks of common complications in deep brain stimulation surgery: management and avoidance.J Neurosurg. 2014; 120: 132-139
- Complications of deep brain stimulation surgery.Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 2001; 77: 73-78
- Hardware-related complications of deep brain stimulation: a review of the published literature.Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 2006; 84: 248-251
Oh MY, Abosch A, Kim SH, Lang AE, Lozano AM. Long-term hardware-related complications of deep brain stimulation. Neurosurgery 2002;50:1268-74; discussion 74-6.
- Cost of Deep Brain Stimulation Infection Resulting in Explantation.Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 2017; 95: 117-124
- Management of Hardware Related Infections after DBS Surgery: A Cost Analysis.Turk Neurosurg. 2018; 28: 929-933
- Infections in Deep Brain Stimulator Surgery.Cureus. 2019; 11: e5440
- Antibacterial Envelope to Prevent Cardiac Implantable Device Infection.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1895-1905
Hagedorn JM, Canzanello N, Bendel MA, T PP, T JL. Antibacterial Envelope Use for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infection in Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation Surgery: A Retrospective Review of 52 Cases. J Pain Res 2021;14:2249-54.
- The World-wide Randomized Antibiotic Envelope Infection Prevention (WRAP-IT) trial: Long-term follow-up.Heart Rhythm. 2020; 17: 1115-1122
- Prevention and Treatment of Hardware-Related Infections in Deep Brain Stimulation Surgeries: A Retrospective and Historical Controlled Study.Front Hum Neurosci. 2021; 15707816
- Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2): a review of its use in surgery.Wien Med Wochenschr. 2019; 169: 222-225
- Comparative study of antiseptic toxicity on basal keratinocytes, transformed human keratinocytes and fibroblasts.Skin Pharmacol. 1990; 3: 157-163
- Hydrogen Peroxide Wound Irrigation in Orthopaedic Surgery.J Bone Jt Infect. 2017; 2: 3-9
Huntingdon Life Sciences Study TR-2013-001. (Data on file with Medtronic, PLC).
TYRX™ Absorbable Antibacterial Envelope, Medtronic, Fridley, MN, USA.