- •Incidence of ruptured aneurysms is higher in Māori than European New Zealanders.
- •Māori present at a younger age with a greater burden of relevant comorbidities.
- •Ruptured posterior circulation aneurysms appear to be much less common in Māori.
- •Māori have higher rates of vasospasm despite more favourable radiological predictors.
- •Māori may survive with greater disability than European New Zealanders.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Indigenous peoples' health—why are they behind everyone, everywhere?.Lancet. 2005; 366: 10-13
Statistics NZ. Māori population estimates: At 30 June 2021 | Stats NZ [Internet]. Stats.govt.nz. 2022 [cited 20 February 2022]. Available from: https://www.stats.govt.nz/information-releases/maori-population-estimates-at-30-june-2021.
UN General Assembly. United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. 2 October 2007, A/RES/61/295. Available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/471355a82.html.
Ministry of Health. He Korowai Oranga: Māori Health Strategy. 2002 (revised 2014). Available at: https://www.health.govt.nz/publication/he-korowai-oranga-maori-health-strategy.
Medical Council of New Zealand. He Ara Hauora Māori: A Pathway to Māori Health Equity [Internet]. Mcnz.org.nz. 2019 [cited 21 February 2022]. Available from: https://www.mcnz.org.nz/assets/standards/6c2ece58e8/He-Ara-Hauora-Maori-A-Pathway-to-Maori-Health-Equity.pdf.
- HAUORA: Report on Stage One of the Health Services and Outcomes Kaupapa Inquiry.Lower Hutt, 2019
- Global, regional and country-specific burden of ischaemic stroke, intracerebral haemorrhage and subarachnoid haemorrhage: a systematic analysis of the global burden of disease study 2017.Neuroepidemiology. 2020; 54: 171-179
- The burden, trends, and demographics of mortality from subarachnoid hemorrhage.Neurology. 1998; 50: 1413-1418
- Non-aneurysmal non-traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage: patient characteristics, clinical outcome and prognostic factors based on a single-center experience in 125 patients.BMC Neurol. 2014; 14
- Risk factors for the formation and rupture of intracranial saccular aneurysms in Shimane, Japan.World Neurosurg. 2010; 73: 155-164
Manatū Hauora MOH. Cardiovascular disease (50+ years) [Internet]. Ministry of Health NZ. 2022 [cited 16 February 2022]. Available from: https://www.health.govt.nz/nz-health-statistics/health-statistics-and-data-sets/maori-health-data-and-stats/tatau-kura-tangata-health-older-maori-chart-book/nga-mana-hauora-tutohu-health-status-indicators-50-years/cardiovascular-disease-50-years.
Smokefree NZ. Facts & figures | Health Promotion Agency Smokefree [Internet]. Smokefree.org.nz. 2022 [cited 16 February 2022]. Available from: https://www.smokefree.org.nz/smoking-its-effects/facts-figures.
- Racial differences between Maori and European New Zealanders in aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage.Br J Neurosurg. 1993; 7: 175-181
Nzdotstat.stats.govt.nz. 2021. Subnational population estimates (DHB, DHB constituency), by age and sex, at 30 June 1996-2020 (2020 boundaries). [online] Available at: http://nzdotstat.stats.govt.nz/wbos/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=TABLECODE7509.
- P1–52 The implications of using different methods to measure ethnicity in a cohort study.J Epidemiol Commun Health. 2011; 65: A81
Te Hiringa Hauora Health Promotion Agency. Tobacco Control Registry - Dataset View [Internet]. Tcdata.org.nz. 2022 [cited 12 May 2022]. Available from: https://tcdata.org.nz/Chart%20Library/DatasetView.html.
- Prediction of Symptomatic Vasospasmafter Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: The Modified Fisher Scale.Neurosurgery. 2006; 59: 21-27
Report of World Federation of Neurological Surgeons Committee on a Universal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage Grading Scale. Journal of Neurosurgery. 1988;68(6).
- Cerebral Vascular Accidents in Patients over the Age of 60: II Prognosis.Scott Med J. 1957; 2: 200-215
- Interobserver agreement for the assessment of handicap in stroke patients.Stroke. 1988; 19: 604-607
- Indigenous data sovereignty and policy.Routledge, 2020: 1-16
- Worldwide incidence of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage according to region, time period, blood pressure, and smoking prevalence in the population.JAMA Neurol. 2019; 76: 588
- Ethnic differences in cardiovascular risk profiles among 475,241 adults in primary care in Aotearoa, New Zealand.N Z Med J. 2020; 133
- Maori have worse outcomes after coronary artery bypass grafting than europeans: another example of ethnic disparity in cardiovascular disease.Heart Lung Circul. 2013; 22: 588
- Are there differences between Maori and non-Maori patients undergoing primary total hip and knee arthroplasty surgery in New Zealand? A registry-based cohort study.N Z Med J. 2014; 126: 23-30
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage incidence among whites, blacks and caribbean hispanics: the northern manhattan study.Neuroepidemiology. 2006; 26: 147-150
- Risk factors associated with the presence of unruptured intracranial aneurysms.Stroke. 2015; 46: 3093-3098
- Ethnic distribution of intracranial aneurysms.Acta Neurochir. 1990; 106: 132-135
- Ethnic characteristics of location for cerebral aneurysms.Neurol Neuropsych Psychosomat. 2019; 11: 60-64
- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase polymorphism (−786T→C) and increased risk of angiographic vasospasm after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage.Stroke. 2008; 39: 1103-1108
Leclerc J, Blackburn S, Neal D, Mendez N, Wharton J, Waters M et al. Haptoglobin phenotype predicts the development of focal and global cerebral vasospasm and may influence outcomes after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2015;112(4):1155-1160.
- Early identification of patients at risk for symptomatic vasospasm after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage.Crit Care Med. 2000; 28: 984-990
- Factors associated with the development of vasospasm after planned surgical treatment of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage.J Neurosurg. 2003; 99: 644-652
- Quantitative analysis of hemorrhage volume for predicting delayed cerebral ischemia after subarachnoid hemorrhage.Stroke. 2011; 42: 669-674
- Racial differences in cerebral vasospasm: a systematic review of the literature.Neurosurgery. 2006; 58: 305-314
- Incidence and predictors of angiographic vasospasm, symptomatic vasospasm and cerebral infarction in chinese patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage.PLoS ONE. 2016; 11: e0168657
- Protective effect of external ventricular drainage on cerebral vasospasm. A retrospective study on aneurysmal SAH treated endovascularly.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2014; 124: 97-101
- Cerebrospinal fluid lumbar drainage in reducing vasospasm following aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage in Vietnam: A single-center prospective study.Interdiscipl Neurosurg. 2021; 25101175
- Risk of rupture of unruptured intracranial aneurysms in relation to patient and aneurysm characteristics.Stroke. 2007; 38: 1404-1410
- Cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption as risk factors for aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage.Stroke. 1993; 24: 639-646