- •Our data suggests a potential benefit of cytoreductive surgery for selected patients with PCNSL.
- •Although not statistically significant, there was a trend towards improved OS, reduced TTR, greater RIC, and reduced WBRT requirement.
Abbreviations:PCNSL (Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma), NHL (Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma), CNS (Central Nervous System), CSF (Cerebrospinal Fluid), DLBCL (Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma), GTR (Gross Total Resection), PFS (Progression-Free Survival), OS (Overall Survival), EOR (Extent of Resection), TTR (Time to Remission), RIC (Response to Initial Chemotherapy), TTC (Time to Chemotherapy), PET (Positron Emission Tomography), CT (Computed Tomography), LDH (Lactate Dehydrogenase), RMPV (Rituximab, Methotrexate, Procarbazine, Vincristine), MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging), CR (Complete Response), PR (Partial Response), RECIST (Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumours), RANO (Response Assessment in Neuro-Oncology), WBRT (Whole Brain Radiotherapy), STR (Sub Total Resection), KM (Kaplan-Meier), AKPS (Australia Karnofsky Performance Status)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Ostrom QT, Cioffi G, Waite K, Kruchko C, Barnholtz-Sloan JS. CBTRUS Statistical Report: Primary Brain and Other Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2014-2018. Neuro Oncol. 2021;23(12 Suppl 2):iii1-iii105. doi:10.1093/neuonc/noab200.
- Changing incidence and survival of Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma in Australia: A 33-year national population-based study.Cancers (Basel). 2021; 13: 403https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers13030403
- Impact of histologic subtypes and treatment modality among patients with primary central nervous system lymphoma: a SEER database analysis.Oncotarget. 2018; 9: 28897-28902https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.25622
- The safety of resection for primary central nervous system lymphoma: a single institution retrospective analysis.J Neurooncol. 2017; 132: 189-197https://doi.org/10.1007/s11060-016-2358-8
- Craniotomy and survival for Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma.Neurosurgery. 2019; 84: 935-944https://doi.org/10.1093/neuros/nyy096
- Real-world impact of surgical excision on overall survival in Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma.Front Oncol. 2020; 1: 131https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2020.00131
- Consensus recommendations for MRI and PET imaging of primary central nervous system lymphoma: guideline statement from the International Primary CNS Lymphoma Collaborative Group (IPCG).Neuro-Oncology. 2021; 23: 1056-1071https://doi.org/10.1093/neuonc/noab020
- Primary Central Nervous System Lymphomas of the brain: a retrospective analysis in a single institution.World Neurosurg. 2017; 1: 550-556https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2017.03.095
- Excellent outcomes in older patients with primary CNS lymphoma treated with R-MPV/cytarabine without whole brain radiotherapy or autologous stem cell transplantation therapy.Leuk Lymphoma. 2021; 62: 112-117https://doi.org/10.1080/10428194.2020.1821007
- New response evaluation criteria in solid tumours: Revised RECIST guideline (version 1.1).Eur J Cancer. 2009; 45: 228-247https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.10.026
- Low-dose whole brain radiotherapy with tumor bed boost after methotrexate-based chemotherapy for Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma.Cancer Res Treat. 2014; 46: 261-269https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2014.46.3.261
- Characteristics and outcomes of Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma: a retrospective study of 91 cases in a Chinese population.World Neurosurg. 2019; 123: e15-e24https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2018.10.034
- Whither whole brain radiotherapy for primary CNS lymphoma?.Neuro Oncol. 2014; 16: 1032-1034https://doi.org/10.1093/neuonc/nou122
Schlegel U, Korfel A. The challenge of adequate imaging surveillance in primary central nervous system lymphoma. NEUONC. Published online December 26, 2016:now273. doi:10.1093/neuonc/now273.
Massicotte-Tisluck K, Vanderweyen D, Vendrell JF, Fortin D, Gahide G. Comparison of Measurement Techniques and Response Criteria for MR Imaging Follow-up in Adult Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma. American Journal of Neuroradiology. Published online April 29, 2021. doi:10.3174/ajnr.A7132.
- Updated response assessment criteria for high-grade gliomas: response assessment in neuro-oncology working group.JCO. 2010; 28: 1963-1972https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.26.3541
- An update on therapy of Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma.Hematology. 2006; 2006: 311-316https://doi.org/10.1182/asheducation-2006.1.311
- Predicting surgical outcome in patients with glioblastoma multiforme using pre-operative magnetic resonance imaging: development and preliminary validation of a grading system.Neurosurg Rev. 2017; 40: 621-631https://doi.org/10.1007/s10143-017-0817-0
- Gross total vs. subtotal resection on survival outcomes in elderly patients with high-grade glioma: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Front Oncol. 2020; 10: 151https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2020.00151
- Near complete surgical resection predicts a favorable outcome in pediatric patients with nonbrainstem, malignant gliomas.Cancer. 2004; 101: 817-824https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20422
- Primary CNS lymphoma: combined treatment with chemotherapy and radiotherapy.Neurology. 1990; 40: 80-86https://doi.org/10.1212/wnl.40.1.80
Jellinger K, Radaskiewicz TH, Slowik F. Primary malignant lymphomas of the central nervous system in man. Acta Neuropathol Suppl. 1975;Suppl 6:95-102. doi:10.1007/978-3-662-08456-4_16.
- Primary non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma of the brain. A review.Medicine (Baltimore). 1985; 64: 425-430https://doi.org/10.1097/00005792-198511000-00006
- Primary intracerebral malignant lymphoma: report of 248 cases.J Neurosurg. 2000; 92: 261-266https://doi.org/10.3171/jns.2000.92.2.0261
- Primary central nervous system lymphoma in Japan: Changes in clinical features, treatment, and prognosis during 1985–2004.Neuro Oncol. 2008; 10: 560-568https://doi.org/10.1215/15228517-2008-028
- for the German PCNSL Study Group. Surgery for primary CNS lymphoma? Challenging a paradigm.Neuro-Oncology. 2012; 14: 1481-1484https://doi.org/10.1093/neuonc/nos159
- Surgical removal of primary central nervous system lymphomas (PCNSL) presenting as space occupying lesions: a series of 33 cases.J Surg Oncol. 2005; 31: 100-105
- Impact of therapeutic regimen and clinical presentation on overall survival in CNS lymphoma.Acta Neurochir. 2014; 156: 355-365https://doi.org/10.1007/s00701-013-1878-7
- Primary central nervous system lymphoma.J Neurosurg. 1985; 62: 522-527
- Prognostic factors in the diagnosis and treatment of primary central nervous system lymphoma.Cancer. 1989; 63: 939-947
- Multi-modality therapy leads to longer survival in primary central nervous system lymphoma patients.J Neurol Sci. 2002; 29: 147-153
Yuan XG, Huang YR, Yu T, et al. Primary central nervous system lymphoma in China: a single-center retrospective analysis of 167 cases. Annals of Hematology. Published online January 2020. doi:10.1007/s00277-019-03821-9.
- The role of whole brain radiation in primary CNS lymphoma.Blood. 2016; 128: 32-36https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2016-01-65010134
- High-dose methotrexate with or without whole brain radiotherapy for primary CNS lymphoma (G-PCNSL-SG-1): a phase 3, randomised, non-inferiority trial.Lancet Oncol. 2010 Nov; 11 (Epub 2010 Oct 20 PMID: 20970380): 1036-1047https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(10)70229-1
- Patterns of response and relapse in primary CNS lymphomas after first-line chemotherapy: imaging analysis of the ANOCEF-GOELAMS prospective randomized trial.Neuro Oncol. 2017; 19: 422-429https://doi.org/10.1093/neuonc/now238
Schellekes N, Barbotti A, Abramov Y, et al. Resection of primary central nervous system lymphoma: impact of patient selection on overall survival. Journal of neurosurgery. Published online February 2021. doi:10.3171/2020.9.JNS201980.
- The Australia-modified Karnofsky Performance Status (AKPS) scale: a revised scale for contemporary palliative care clinical practice [ISRCTN81117481].BMC Palliative Care. 2005; 4: 7https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-684X-4-7
- Primary CNS lymphomas: challenges in diagnosis and monitoring.Biomed Res Int. 2018; 2018: 1-16https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3606970
- Early complete response during chemotherapy predicts favorable outcome in patients with primary CNS lymphoma.Neuro-Oncology. 2010; 12: 720-724https://doi.org/10.1093/neuonc/noq010