- •Describes a classic tool that allows neurosurgeons in training and junior attendings practice advanced microsurgical techniques and delves into strategy and anatomy of a side-to-side bypass.
- •The microsurgical anastomosis described here, in-situ side-to-side, mimics one of the most technical challenging bypasses performed in neurosurgery.
- •The model is easy to setup, efficient and cheap.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Effect of extracranial-intracranial bypass revascularization procedure in acute stroke after endovascular failure: the EIRASP study protocol.J Neurosurg Sci. 2022; https://doi.org/10.23736/S0390-5616.21.05564-8
- One-donor, two-recipient extracranial-intracranial bypass series for moyamoya and cerebral occlusive disease: rationale, clinical and angiographic outcomes, and intraoperative blood flow analysis.J Neurosurg. 2022; 136: 627-636
- Intracranial-intracranial bypass for aneurysms: quantitative intraoperative assessment of flow preservation.Oper Neurosurg (Hagerstown). 2022; 22: 337-342https://doi.org/10.1227/ons.0000000000000136
- EC-IC bypass for cerebral revascularization following skull base tumor resection: current practices and innovations.J Surg Oncol. 2018; 118: 815-825https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.25178
- A novel, low-cost, reusable, high-fidelity neurosurgical training simulator for cerebrovascular bypass surgery.J Neurosurg. 2018; : 1-9https://doi.org/10.3171/2017.11.JNS17318
- Cerebral bypass for aneurysms in the era of flow diversion: single-surgeon case series.Oper Neurosurg (Hagerstown). 2021; 21: 303-311https://doi.org/10.1093/ons/opab215
- Future directions of endovascular neurosurgery.Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2022; 33: 233-239https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nec.2021.11.007
- Challenges in using the posterior inferior cerebellar artery for revascularization of the anterior inferior cerebellar artery: a microsurgical anatomic study.World Neurosurg. 2021; 150: e591-e599
- Evolution of Intracranial-Intracranial bypass surgery: a bibliometric analysis.World Neurosurg. 2022; 162: 177-182.e9https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2022.02.116
- Comparative use of turkey and chicken wing brachial artery models for microvascular anastomosis training.J Neurosurg. 2011; 115: 1231-1235https://doi.org/10.3171/2011.7.JNS102013
- Step by step: microsurgical training method combining two nonliving animal models.J Vis Exp. 2015; 99: e52625
- Training in microvascular surgery using a chicken wing artery.Neurosurgery. 2003; 52 (discussion 1497–1498): 1495-1497https://doi.org/10.1227/01.neu.0000065174.83840.62
- Learning microvascular anastomosis in low socioeconomic vascular models during residency.Cureus. 2017; 9: e1199
- Microsurgical training on an in vitro chicken wing infusion model.Surg Neurol. 2009; 72: 695-699https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surneu.2008.12.008
Belykh E, Martirosyan N, Kalani Y, Nakaji P. Microsurgical Basics and Bypass Techniques | 9781626235304 | Thieme Webshop. Accessed September 22, 2022. https://shop.thieme.com/Microsurgical-Basics-and-Bypass-Techniques/9781626235304.
- Application of microanastomosis techniques in vascular neurosurgery training and innovation of future surgical strategies for giant aneurysms.World Neurosurg. 2019; 122: e1120-e1127https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2018.10.239
- Endovascular and microsurgical aneurysm training in a chicken thigh and leg pulsatile model.World Neurosurg. 2019; S1878–8750: 30036-130031https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2018.12.166
- An efficient microvascular anastomosis training model based on chicken wings and simple instruments.J Cerebrovasc Endovasc Neurosurg. 2013; 15: 20-25https://doi.org/10.7461/jcen.2013.15.1.20
Lawton MT. Seven Bypasses: Tenets and Techniques for Revascularization. Accessed September 22, 2022. https://www.wolterskluwer.com/en/solutions/ovid/seven-bypasses-tenets-and-techniques-for-revascularization-14582.
- Nonbiological microsurgery simulators in plastic surgery training: a systematic review.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2019; 144: 496e-507ehttps://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000005990
- A novel silicone simulation model for microvascular anastomosis.Plast Surg (Oakv). 2022; 30: 113-116https://doi.org/10.1177/22925503211003835
- Animal models in plastic and reconstructive surgery simulation-a review.J Surg Res. 2018; 221: 232-245