- •Compared to alteplase, urokinase is a less expensive thrombolytic drug with a simpler production and purifying process.
- •Our study found that urokinase is equally safe and effective to alteplase in the treatment of acute ischemic stroke.
- •Urokinase may revolutionize treatment for people suffering from acute ischemic stroke in developing countries.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Feigin VL, Stark BA, Johnson CO, Roth GA, Bisignano C, Abady GG, et al. Global, regional, and national burden of stroke and its risk factors, 1990–2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019. Lancet Neurol [Internet]. 2021 Oct 1;20(10):795–820. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(21)00252-0.
Powers WJ. Acute Ischemic Stroke. N Engl J Med [Internet]. 2020 Jul 15;383(3):252–60. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMcp1917030.
- Effect of endovascular treatment alone vs intravenous alteplase plus endovascular treatment on functional independence in patients with acute ischemic stroke: the DEVT randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2021; 325: 234-243
- Effect of mechanical thrombectomy without vs with intravenous thrombolysis on functional outcome among patients with acute ischemic stroke: the SKIP randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2021; 325: 244-253
- Global epidemiology of stroke and access to acute ischemic stroke interventions.Neurology. 2021; 97: S6-S
- Low-cost alternatives for the management of acute ischemic stroke in low and middle-income countries.Ann Med Surg [Internet]. 2021; 102969 (Available from:)
- Production and purification of urokinase: a comprehensive review.Protein Expr Purif. 2006; 45: 1-14
- Chinese Stroke Association guidelines for clinical management of cerebrovascular disorders: executive summary and 2019 update of clinical management of ischaemic cerebrovascular diseases.Stroke Vasc Neurol. 2020; 5: 159-176
- Safety and efficacy of intra-arterial urokinase after failed, unsuccessful, or incomplete mechanical thrombectomy in anterior circulation large-vessel occlusion stroke.JAMA Neurol. 2020; 77: 318-326
Kaesmacher J, Meinel TR, Kurmann C, Zaidat OO, Castonguay AC, Zaidi SF, et al. Safety and efficacy of intra-arterial fibrinolytics as adjunct to mechanical thrombectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational data. J Neurointerv Surg [Internet]. 2021 Dec 1;13(12):1073 LP – 1080. Available from: http://jnis.bmj.com/content/13/12/1073.abstract.
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: explanation and elaboration.BMJ [Internet]. 2009 Jul; 21 (Available from:)b2700
Bao H, Gao HR, Pan ML, Zhao L, Sun HB. Comparative study on the efficacy and safety of alteplase and urokinase in the treatment of acute cerebral infarction [Internet]. Vol. 29, Technology and Health Care. 2021. p. 85–90. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/thc-202382.
- Effectiveness of intravenous r-tPA versus UK for acute ischaemic stroke: a nationwide prospective Chinese registry study.Stroke Vasc Neurol. 2021; 6: 603-609
- Outcomes and treatment complications of intravenous urokinase thrombolysis in acute ischemic stroke in China.Front Neurol. 2021; 12685454
- The comparative study on therapeutic effects of intravenous alteplase thrombolysis, intravenous urokinase thrombolysis and interventional urokinase thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke.Int J Clin Exp Med. 2017; 10: 13646-13652
- Low-dose tissue plasminogen activator is as effective as standard tissue plasminogen activator administration for the treatment of acute ischemic stroke.Curr Neurovasc Res. 2014; 11: 62-67
- Comparative study of intravenous thrombolysis with rt-PA and urokinase for patients with acute cerebral infarction.J Int Med Res. 2020; 48 (300060519895352)
- Predictors for symptomatic intracranial hemorrhage after intravenous thrombolysis with acute ischemic stroke within 6 h in northern China: a multicenter, retrospective study.BMC neurology. 2022; 22: 1-7
Powers WJ, Rabinstein AA, Ackerson T, Adeoye OM, Bambakidis NC, Becker K, et al. Guidelines for the Early Management of Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke: 2019 Update to the 2018 Guidelines for the Early Management of Acute Ischemic Stroke: A Guideline for Healthcare Professionals From the American Heart Association/American Stroke. Vol. 50, Stroke. United States; 2019. p. e344–418.
- The evolution of recombinant thrombolytics: current status and future directions.Bioengineered. 2017; 8: 331-358
- Randomized trial of intraarterial infusion of urokinase within 6 hours of middle cerebral artery stroke: the middle cerebral artery embolism local fibrinolytic intervention trial (MELT) Japan.Stroke. 2007; 38: 2633-2639
- Intravenous thrombolysis guided by a telemedicine consultation system for acute ischaemic stroke patients in China: the protocol of a multicentre historically controlled study.BMJ Open. 2015; 5
- Intracarotid urokinase with thromboembolic occlusion of the middle cerebral artery.Stroke. 1988; 19: 802-812
- PROACT: a phase II randomized trial of recombinant pro-urokinase by direct arterial delivery in acute middle cerebral artery stroke. PROACT Investigators. Prolyse in Acute Cerebral Thromboembolism.Stroke. 1998; 29: 4-11
Nepal G, Yadav JK, Basnet B, Shrestha TM, Kharel G, Ojha R. Status of prehospital delay and intravenous thrombolysis in the management of acute ischemic stroke in Nepal. BMC Neurol [Internet]. 2019;19(1):155. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12883-019-1378-3.
- Urokinase-type plasminogen activator promotes N-cadherin-mediated synaptic recovery in the ischemic brain.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2021; 41: 2381-2394
- Urokinase plasminogen activator: a potential thrombolytic agent for ischaemic stroke.Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2020; 40: 347-355
- Worldwide reported use of IV tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke.Int J Stroke. 2014; 9: 349-355
- Presentation, evaluation, management, and outcomes of acute stroke in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Neuroepidemiology. 2018; 51: 104-112
- Worldwide stroke incidence and early case fatality reported in 56 population-based studies: a systematic review.Lancet Neurol. 2009; 8: 355-369
- Utilization of intravenous tissue plasminogen activator and reasons for nonuse in acute ischemic stroke in saudi Arabia.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2020; 29
Abanto C, Valencia A, Calle P, Barrientos D, Flores N, Novoa M, et al. Challenges of Thrombolysis in a Developing Country: Characteristics and Outcomes in Peru. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2020 Jul;29(7).
- Quality indicators of intravenous thrombolysis from North India.Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2017; 20: 393-398
- Regional and national differences in stroke thrombolysis use and disparities in pricing, treatment availability, and coverage.Int J Stroke. 2022; (174749302210824)
- Stroke and thrombolysis in developing countries.Int J Stroke. 2007; 2: 17-26
- Meeting the challenges of stroke in India.Neurology. 2013; 80: 2246-2247
- pH gradient difference around ischemic brain tissue can serve as a trigger for delivering polyethylene glycol-conjugated urokinase nanogels.J Control release Off J Control Release Soc. 2016; 225: 53-63