- •Cerebral Arteriovenous Malformations (cAVMs) represent a rare cerebral disease characterized by significant rate of morbidity and mortality mainly related to the hemorrhagic propensity.
- •The aim of the present study is to report a multicenter surgical experience in the treatment of IV and V grade AVMs, in order to simplify the interpretation of currently used scales and improve management strategies for these vascular high-grade lesions.
- •The pre-operative mRS was a factor influencing clinical outcome, as well as the number of bleedings preceding the treatment, age, and nidus characteristics. S-M IV, L-Y 3 and S-M supp 7 scores were associated with good outcome.
- •Surgical management for high-grade AVMs should be considered in highly selected patients with repeated bleeding or disabling symptoms.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The natural history of unruptured intracranial arteriovenous malformations.J Neurosurg. 1988; 68: 352-357
Mohr JP, Parides MK, Stapf C et al Medical management with or without interventional therapy for unruptured brain arteriovenous malformations [ARUBA]: a multicenter non-blinded, randomized trial. Lancet 383:614–621 Epub 2013 Nov 20 doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62302-8.PMID: 24268105.
- Treatment and outcomes of ARUBA-eligible patients with unruptured brain arteriovenous malformations at a single institution.Neurosurg Focus. 2014; 37: E8https://doi.org/10.3171/2014.7.FOCUS14242
- Outcome of microsurgical excision of unruptured brain arteriovenous malformations in ARUBA-eligible patients.Br J Neurosurg. 2016; 30: 619-622
- Multimodality Management of Cerebral Arteriovenous Malformations with Special Reference to AVM-Related Hemorrhages During Ongoing Staged Treatment.Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2016; 123: 153-158https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-29887-0_22
- A proposed grading system für arteriovenous malformations.J Neurosurg. 1986; 65 (PMID: 3760956): 476-483https://doi.org/10.3171/jns.1986.65.4.0476
- A supplementary grading scale for selecting patients with brain arteriovenous malformations for surgery.Neurosurgery. 2010; 66 (PMID: 20190666): 702-713https://doi.org/10.1227/01.NEU.0000367555.16733.E1
Sai Kiran N A, Vidyasagar K, Raj V et al Microsurgery for Spetzler-Martin Grade IeIII Arteriovenous Malformations: Analysis of Surgical Results and Correlation of Lawton-Young Supplementary Grade and Supplemented Spetzler-Martin Score with Functional Outcome World Neurosurg. 2020 Dec;144:e227-e236. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2020.08.101. Epub 2020 Aug 20.
- Regli L et al The AVICH Score: A Novel Grading System to Predict Clinical Outcome in Arteriovenous Malformation-Related Intracerebral Hemorrhage.World Neurosurg. 2016; 92: 292-297
- Outcomes following single-session radiosurgery for high-grade intracranial arteriovenous malformations.Br J Neurosurg. 2014; 28: 666-674
- Curative treatment for low-grade arteriovenous malformations.J Neurointerv Surg. 2020; 12: 48-54
- Contemporary endovascular techniques for the curative treatment of cerebral arteriovenous malformations and review of neurointerventional outcomes.J Neurosurg Sci. 2018; 62
- Curative embolization of cerebral arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) with Onyx in 101 patients.Neuroradiology. 2008; 50: 589-597
- Endovascular treatment of brain arteriovenous malformations with prolonged intranidal Onyx injection technique: long-term results in 350 consecutive patients with completed endovascular treatment course: Clinical article.JNS. 2011; 115: 78-88
- Endovascular transvenous cure for ruptured brain arteriovenous malformations in complex cases with high Spetzler–Martin grades.J Neurosurg. 2015; 122: 1229-1238
- Treatment of brain arteriovenous malformations: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2011; 306: 2011-2019https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000026352
- Current surgical results with lowgrade brain arteriovenous malformations.J Neurosurg. 2015; 122: 912-920
- Pendharkar AV et al Staged Surgical Resection of Brain Arteriovenous Malformations.World Neurosurg. 2021 Feb; 146 (Epub 2020 Nov 16PMID: 33212272): e925-e930https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2020.11.036
Schramm J, Schaller K, Esche J, Boström A. Microsurgery for cerebral arteriovenous malformations: subgroup outcomes in a consecutive series of 288 cases. J Neurosurg. 2017 Apr;126(4):1056-1063. doi: 0.3171/2016.4.JNS153017. Epub 2016 Jun 10. PMID: 27285541 Clinical Trial.
- The application of the novel grading scale (LawtonYoung grading system) to predict the outcome of brain arteriovenous malformation.Neurosurgery. 2019; 84: 529-536
- Validation of the supplemented Spetzler-Martin grading system for brain arteriovenous malformations in a multicenter cohort of 1009 surgical patients.Neurosurgery. 2015; 76: 25-33
- VM Spetzler-Martin Grade III Arteriovenous Malformations: A Comparison of Modified and Supplemented Spetzler-Martin Grading Systems.Lawton MT Neurosurgery. 2021; 88: 1103-1110
Pulli B, Chapman PH, Ogilvy CS, et al . Multimodal cerebral arteriovenous malformation treatment: a 12-year experience and comparison of key outcomes to ARUBA. J Neurosurg. 2019 Nov 1:1-10. doi: 10.3171/2019.8.JNS19998. Online ahead of print. PMID: 31675689.
- Combined Endovascular and Microsurgical Treatment of Arteriovenous Malformations in the Hybrid Operating Room.World Neurosurg. 2018; 117: e204-e214
- Du R The natural history of cerebral arteriovenous malformations.Handb Clin Neurol. 2017; 143: 15-24https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-63640-9.00002-3. PMID: 28552137 Review
- Brain arteriovenous malformations: A review of natural history, pathobiology, and interventions.Neurology. 2020; 95: 917-927
- Stoodley MA Critical review of brain AVM surgery, surgical results and natural history in 2017.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2017; 159: 1457-1478
- Systematic review of brain arteriovenous malformation grading systems evaluating microsurgical treatment recommendation.Neurosurg Rev. 2021 Oct; 44 (Epub 2021 Jan 27 PMID: 33501562): 2571-2582https://doi.org/10.1007/s10143-020-01464-3