- •Lingering rocuronium effects affect perceived patient neurologic status.
- •Rocuronium lingering effects can be prolonged in acute neurosurgical patients.
- •Rocuronium reversal can drastically impact neurosurgical decision making.
- •Sugammadex can serve as a useful tool in acute neurosurgical settings.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Endotracheal intubation to reduce aspiration events in acutely comatose patients: a systematic review.Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2020; 28: 116
- Sugammadex administration to facilitate timely neurologic examination in the traumatic brain injury patient.Neurocrit Care. 2020; 32: 880-882
- Neurologic function and neuromuscular blocking agents in critical care.Crit Care Nurs Q. 1995; 18: 74-84
- Bilateral dilated nonreactive pupils secondary to rocuronium infusion in an ARDS patient treated with ECMO therapy: A case report.Medicine (Baltimore). 2020; 99: e21819
- The importance of therapeutic time window in the treatment of traumatic brain injury.Front Neurosci. 2019; 13: 07
- Rapid-sequence intubation: a review of the process and considerations when choosing medications.Ann Pharmacother. 2014; 48: 62-76
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of rocuronium in patients with and without renal failure.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2005; 22: 4-10
- Comparison of rocuronium, succinylcholine, and vecuronium for rapid-sequence induction of anesthesia in adult patients.Anesthesiology. 1993; 79: 913-918
- Prolonged residual paralysis after a single intubating dose of rocuronium.Br J Anaesth. 2007; 99: 514-517
- Extremely prolonged neuromuscular blockade after rocuronium: a case report.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2009; 53: 957-959
- Prolonged neuromuscular blockade and insufficient reversal after sugammadex administration in cesarean section under general anesthesia: a case report.JA Clin Rep. 2019; 5: 28
- The influence of mild hypothermia on reversal of rocuronium-induced deep neuromuscular block with sugammadex.BMC Anesthesiol. 2015; 15: 7
- Neuromuscular blockade in the elderly patient.J Pain Res. 2016; 9: 437-444
- The pharmacokinetics and neuromuscular effects of rocuronium bromide in patients with liver disease.Anesth Analg. 1995; 80: 754-759
- Sugammadex: a cyclodextrin to reverse neuromuscular blockade in anaesthesia.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2008; 9: 1375-1386
- Sugammadex: A revolutionary drug in neuromuscular pharmacology.Anesth Essays Res. 2013; 7: 302-306
- Guidelines for the management of severe traumatic brain injury.Fourth Edition Neurosurgery. 2017; 80: 6-15
Chandrasekhar K, Togioka BM, Jeffers JL. Sugammadex. StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL)2022.
Jain A, Wermuth HR, Dua A, Singh K, Maani CV. Rocuronium. StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022.
- Preparing for the unexpected: special considerations and complications after sugammadex administration.BMC Anesthesiology. 2017; 17: 140
- The influence of hypothermia (surface cooling) on the time-course of action and on the pharmacokinetics of rocuronium in humans.Eur J Anaesthesiol Suppl. 1995; 11: 95-106
- The association of rocuronium dosing and first-attempt intubation success in adult emergency department patients.CJEM. 2021; 23: 518-527
- Consensus statement on perioperative use of neuromuscular monitoring.Anesth Analg. 2018; 127: 71-80
- Sugammadex compared with neostigmine/glycopyrrolate for routine reversal of neuromuscular block: a systematic review and economic evaluation.Br J Anaesth. 2010; 105: 558-567
- Impact of sugammadex versus neostigmine/glycopyrrolate on perioperative efficiency.CEOR. 2020; 12: 69-79
Hristovska AM, Duch P, Allingstrup M, Afshari A. Efficacy and safety of sugammadex versus neostigmine in reversing neuromuscular blockade in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017;8:CD012763.
- Sugammadex: an update.J Crit Care Med (Targu Mures). 2016; 2: 16-21
- Anticoagulant effect of sugammadex: just an in vitro artifact.Anesthesiology. 2016; 124: 1277-1285
- No clinically relevant interaction between sugammadex and aspirin on platelet aggregation and coagulation parameters.Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2013; 51: 976-985
- Lack of a clinically relevant effect of sugammadex on anti-Xa activity or activated partial thromboplastin time following pretreatment with either unfractionated or low-molecular-weight heparin in healthy subjects.Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2014; 52: 631-641
- Sugammadex and rocuronium-induced anaphylaxis.J Anesth. 2016; 30: 290-297