- •RFT of the peripheral nerves and the Gasserian ganglion both will have satisfactory pain relive.
- •Peripheral nerve ablation was associated with higher recurrent rate.
- •RFT of the Gasserian ganglion was associated with more complication.
Abbreviations:TN (Trigeminal neuralgia), RFT (Radiofrequency thermoablation), MVD (Microvascular decompression), PRF (Peripheral nerves radiofrequency thermoablation), GPF (Gasserian ganglion radiofrequency thermoablation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society (IHS) The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition. Cephalalgia. 2018;38(1):1-211.
- Trigeminal neuralgia - diagnosis and treatment.Cephalalgia. 2017; 37: 648-657
- Trigeminal neuralgia: a practical guide.Pract Neurol. 2021; 21: 392-402
- Practice parameter: the diagnostic evaluation and treatment of trigeminal neuralgia (an evidence-based review): report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the European Federation of Neurological Societies.Neurology. 2008; 71: 1183-1190
- The incidence and lifetime prevalence of neurological disorders in a prospective community-based study in the UK.Brain. 2000; 123: 665-676
- Familial Trigeminal Neuralgia Cases Implicate Genetic Factors in Disease Pathogenesis.JAMA Neurol. 2019; 76: 9-10
- Anatomic study of extracranial needle trajectory using Hartel technique for percutaneous treatment of trigeminal neuralgia.World Neurosurgery. 2018; 110: e245-e248
Härtel F. Die Leitungsanästhesie und Injections-behandlung des Ganglion Gasseri und der Trigeminusstämme. Die Leitungsanästhesie und Injections-behandlung des Ganglion Gasseri und der Trigeminusstämme. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg; 1913. p. 1-100.
Sweet WG. Proceedings: Analgesia dolorosa after differential retrogasserian thermal or mechanical rhizotomy: tactics employed to decrease its influence. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1975;38(4):407.
- A review of percutaneous treatments for trigeminal neuralgia.Operative Neurosurgery. 2013; 10: 25-33
- Radiofrequency treatment of trigeminal neuralgia using a cordotomy-type electrode. A method.Neurosurg Clin N Am. 1997; 8: 41-52
- Treatment of trigeminal neuralgia by percutaneous radiofrequency rhizotomy.Neurosurg Clin N Am. 1997; 8: 31-39
- CT-guided percutaneous infrazygomatic radiofrequency neurolysis through foramen rotundum to treat V2 trigeminal neuralgia.Pain Med. 2014; 15: 1418-1428
- The treatment of V2 + V3 idiopathic trigeminal neuralgia using peripheral nerve radiofrequency thermocoagulation via the foramen rotundum and foramen ovale compared with semilunar ganglion radiofrequency thermocoagulation.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2020; 196: 106025
- CT-guided selective percutaneous radiofrequency thermocoagulation via the foramen rotundum for isolated maxillary nerve idiopathic trigeminal neuralgia.J Neurosurg. 2018; 128: 211-214
- Pulsed radiofrequency treatment of the Gasserian ganglion in patients with idiopathic trigeminal neuralgia.Pain. 2003; 104: 449-452
- The long-term outcome of microvascular decompression for trigeminal neuralgia.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 1077-1083
- Update on neuropathic pain treatment for trigeminal neuralgia. The pharmacological and surgical options.Neurosciences (Riyadh). 2015; 20: 107-114
Kanpolat Y, Savas A, Bekar A, Berk C. Percutaneous controlled radiofrequency trigeminal rhizotomy for the treatment of idiopathic trigeminal neuralgia: 25-year experience with 1,600 patients. Neurosurgery. 2001;48(3):524-32; discussion 32-4.
- Radiofrequency percutaneous Gasserian ganglion lesions. Results in 140 patients with trigeminal pain.J Neurosurg. 1975; 42: 132-139
- Comparison of pulsed radiofrequency with conventional radiofrequency in the treatment of idiopathic trigeminal neuralgia.Eur J Pain. 2007; 11: 309-313
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151: W65-W94
Sterne JAC, Savović J, Page MJ, Elbers RG, Blencowe NS, Boutron I, et al. RoB 2: a revised tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials. Bmj. 2019;366:l4898.
Hegab AS, Baha, a Khidr O. Distal versus proximal pulsed radiofrequency for treating trigeminal neuralgia. Research and Opinion in Anesthesia and Intensive Care. 2020;7(2):142-8.
- The treatment of first division idiopathic trigeminal neuralgia with radiofrequency thermocoagulation of the peripheral branches compared to conventional radiofrequency.J Clin Neurosci. 2009; 16: 1425-1429
- Radiofrequency thermoablation of the gasserian ganglion versus the peripheral branches of the trigeminal nerve for treatment of trigeminal neuralgia: a randomized.Control Trial Pain Physician. 2019; 22: 147-154
- Nerve cells in the intracranial part of the trigeminal nerve of man and dog. Anatomical study of the fifth cranial nerve.J Neurosurg. 1971; 34: 643-646
- Clinical translation of autologous Schwann cell transplantation for the treatment of spinal cord injury.Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2013; 18: 682-689
- Effects of Schwann cell transplantation in a contusion model of rat spinal cord injury.J Neurosci Res. 1996; 45: 588-597
- European Academy of Neurology guideline on trigeminal neuralgia.Eur J Neurol. 2019; 26: 831-849
- Burden of illness of trigeminal neuralgia among patients managed in a specialist center in England.J Headache Pain. 2020; 21: 130
- Effectiveness of the association between carbamazepine and peripheral analgesic block with ropivacaine for the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia.J Pain Res. 2010; 3: 201-212
- Long-term treatment of trigeminal neuralgia with carbamazepine.Postgrad Med J. 1981; 57: 16-18
- Balloon compression vs radiofrequency for primary trigeminal neuralgia: a randomized, controlled trial.Pain. 2021; 162: 919-929
- Comparative safety and efficacy of percutaneous approaches for the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2019; 182: 112-122
- Systematic review of ablative neurosurgical techniques for the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia.Neurosurgery. 2004; 54: 973-983
- A prospective, longitudinal study on patients with trigeminal neuralgia who underwent radiofrequency thermocoagulation of the Gasserian ganglion.Pain. 1999; 79: 51-58
- Subarachnoid bleeding into the superior cerebellopontine cistern after radiofrequency trigeminal rhizotomy: case report.Acta Neurochir. 2010; 152: 561-562