- •32 studies with 990 patients identified reporting elastography for neurosurgery.
- •Elastography can determine lesion stiffness and assist with diagnostic workup.
- •Quantitative measurements can help differentiate lesions pre-operatively.
- •Ultrasound elastography can provide real-time data to improve tumor resection.
- •Microscopic abnormalities and residual lesions can be identified on elastography.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Introduction: Utility of intraoperative imaging.Neurosurg Focus. 2016; 40: E1https://doi.org/10.3171/2016.1.FOCUS1610
- The application of ultrasound during brain surgery.World J Surg. 1987; 11: 558-569https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01655829
- History and evolution of brain tumor imaging: Insights through radiology.Radiology. 2014; 273: S111-S125https://doi.org/10.1148/RADIOL.14140130/ASSET/IMAGES/LARGE/RADIOL.14140130.FIG12.JPEG
- Optimization of tumor resection with intra-operative magnetic resonance imaging.J Clin Neurosci. 2016; 34: 11-14https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JOCN.2016.05.030
- Ultrasound Elastography.in: Prada F. Solbiati L. Martegani A. DiMeco F. Intraoperative Ultrasound Neurosurg. From Stand. B-mode to Elastosonography, Springer, Cham2016: 173-187https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-25268-1_14
- Elastography: history, principles, and technique comparison.Abdom Imaging. 2015; 40: 680-697https://doi.org/10.1007/S00261-014-0305-8
National Institute of Health. Quality Assessment Tool for Case Series Studies 2020. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/study-quality-assessment-tools (accessed November 28, 2021).
North American Spine Society. Levels of Evidence For Primary Research Question 2005. https://www.spine.org/Portals/0/Assets/Downloads/ResearchClinicalCare/LevelsofEvidence.pdf (accessed November 28, 2021).
Chan HW, Pressler R, Uff C, Gunny R, St Piers K, Cross H, et al. A novel technique of detecting MRI-negative lesion in focal symptomatic epilepsy: intraoperative ShearWave elastography. Epilepsia 2014;55. https://doi.org/10.1111/EPI.12562.
- Transcranial Shear Wave Elastography of Neonatal and Infant Brains for Quantitative Evaluation of Increased Intracranial Pressure.Invest Radiol. 2019; 54: 719-727
- Shear wave elastography of lumbar annulus fibrosus in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis before and after surgical intervention.Eur Radiol. 2020; 30: 1980-1985https://doi.org/10.1007/S00330-019-06563-4
- Magnetic Resonance Elastography Demonstrating Low Brain Stiffness in a Patient with Low-Pressure Hydrocephalus: Case Report.Pediatr Neurosurg. 2016; 51: 257-262https://doi.org/10.1159/000445900
- Slip Interface Imaging Predicts Tumor-Brain Adhesion in Vestibular Schwannomas.Radiology. 2015; 277: 507-517
- Slip interface imaging based on MR-elastography preoperatively predicts meningioma-brain adhesion.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2017; 46: 1007-1016
- Comparison of Intraoperative Ultrasound B-Mode and Strain Elastography for the Differentiation of Glioblastomas From Solitary Brain Metastases. An Automated Deep Learning Approach for Image Analysis. Front.Oncol. 2021;10:1.; https://doi.org/10.3389/FONC.2020.590756/FULL
- Is There a Relationship between the Elasticity of Brain Tumors, Changes in Diffusion Tensor Imaging, and Histological Findings? A Pilot Study Using Intraoperative Ultrasound Elastography.Brain Sci. 2021; 11: 1-13https://doi.org/10.3390/BRAINSCI11020271
- Relationship between the overall survival in glioblastomas and the radiomic features of intraoperative ultrasound: a feasibility study.J Ultrasound. 2022; 25: 121-128
Chakraborty A, Bamber JC, Dorward NL. Preliminary investigation into the use of ultrasound elastography during brain tumour resection 2012;20:33–40. https://doi.org/10.1258/ULT.2011.011057.
- Clinical Application of Shear Wave Elastography for Assisting Brain Tumor Resection.Front Oncol. 2021; 11: 112https://doi.org/10.3389/FONC.2021.619286/BIBTEX
- In Vivo Measurement of Brain Tumor Elasticity Using Intraoperative Shear Wave Elastography.Ultraschall Med. 2016; 37: 584-590
- Comparison of contrast in brightness mode and strain ultrasonography of glial brain tumours.BMC Med Imaging. 2012; 12: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2342-12-11/FIGURES/2
- Application of intraoperative B-mode ultrasound and shear wave elastography for glioma grading.Quant Imaging Med Surg. 2021; 11: 2733-2743
- Strain processing of intraoperative ultrasound images of brain tumours: Initial results.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2005; 31: 45-51https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ULTRASMEDBIO.2004.09.011
Cepeda S, Arrese I, García-García S, Velasco-Casares M, Escudero-Caro T, Zamora T, et al. Meningioma Consistency Can Be Defined by Combining the Radiomic Features of Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Ultrasound Elastography. A Pilot Study Using Machine Learning Classifiers. World Neurosurg 2021;146:e1147–59. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.WNEU.2020.11.113.
- Higher-Resolution Magnetic Resonance Elastography in Meningiomas to Determine Intratumoral Consistency.Neurosurgery. 2015; 77: 653-659
- Intraoperative Strain Elastosonography in Brain Tumor Surgery.Oper Neurosurg (Hagerstown, Md). 2019; 17: 227-236
- Shear Stiffness of 4 Common Intracranial Tumors Measured Using MR Elastography: Comparison with Intraoperative Consistency Grading.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2016; 37: 1851-1859
- Relationship between Shear Stiffness Measured by MR Elastography and Perfusion Metrics Measured by Perfusion CT of Meningiomas.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2021; 42: 1216-1222
- Magnetic resonance elastography detects tumoral consistency in pituitary macroadenomas.Pituitary. 2016; 19: 286-292
- Virtual magnetic resonance elastography has the feasibility to evaluate preoperative pituitary adenoma consistency.Pituitary. 2021; 24: 530-541
- Effects of compressive lesions on intraoperative human spinal cord elasticity.J Neurosurg Spine. 2021; 35: 807-816
- Intraoperative real-time guidance using ShearWave Elastography for epilepsy surgery.Seizure - Eur J Epilepsy. 2019; 71: 24-27https://doi.org/10.1016/J.SEIZURE.2019.06.001
- Intraoperative Ultrasound Shear-Wave Elastography in Focal Cortical Dysplasia Surgery.J Clin Med. 2021; 10: 1-11https://doi.org/10.3390/JCM10051049
- Advanced intraoperative ultrasound (ioUS) techniques in focal cortical dysplasia (FCD) surgery: A preliminary experience on a case series.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2020; 198: 106188
- Alteration of brain viscoelasticity after shunt treatment in normal pressure hydrocephalus.Neuroradiology. 2012; 54: 189-196https://doi.org/10.1007/S00234-011-0871-1/FIGURES/3
- Clinical Correlation of Abnormal Findings on Magnetic Resonance Elastography in Idiopathic Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus.World Neurosurg. 2017; 99: 695-700.e1
- Poroelastic Mechanical Properties of the Brain Tissue of Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus Patients During Lumbar Drain Treatment Using Intrinsic Actuation MR Elastography.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: 457-466https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ACRA.2020.03.009
- Preoperative assessment of meningioma stiffness by magnetic resonance elastography.J Neurosurg. 2013; 118: 643https://doi.org/10.3171/2012.9.JNS12519
- Shear wave elastography for intracranial epidermoid tumors.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2021; 207106531https://doi.org/10.1016/J.CLINEURO.2021.106531
- Predicting meningioma consistency and brain-meningioma interface with intraoperative strain ultrasound elastography: a novel application to guide surgical strategy.Neurosurg Focus. 2021; 50: E15
- An overview of elastography - an emerging branch of medical imaging.Curr Med Imaging Rev. 2011; 7: 255https://doi.org/10.2174/157340511798038684
- Liver Ultrasound Elastography: An Update to the World Federation for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology Guidelines and Recommendations.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2018; 44: 2419-2440
- Liver ultrasound elastography: More than staging the disease.World J Hepatol. 2015; 7: 1595https://doi.org/10.4254/WJH.V7.I12.1595
- Acoustic radiation force impulse imaging (ARFI) for differentiation of benign and malignant thyroid nodules–A meta-analysis.Eur J Radiol. 2015; 84: 2181-2186https://doi.org/10.1016/J.EJRAD.2015.07.015
- Diagnostic performances of shear-wave elastography for identification of malignant breast lesions: a meta-analysis.Jpn J Radiol. 2014; 32: 592-599
- Strain wave elastography for evaluation of renal parenchyma in chronic kidney disease.Br J Radiol. 2015; 88: 20140714
- Ultrasound Elastography: Review of Techniques and Clinical Applications.Theranostics. 2017; 7: 1303-1329
- Ultrasound Elastography and MR Elastography for Assessing Liver Fibrosis: Part 2, Diagnostic Performance, Confounders, and Future Directions.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2015; 205: 33-40
- What is the role of ultrasound in fracture management?: Diagnosis and therapeutic potential for fractures, delayed unions, and fracture-related infection.Bone Joint Res. 2019; 8: 304-312
- Predicting pituitary adenoma consistency with preoperative magnetic resonance elastography.J Neurosurg. 2021; 1: 1-8https://doi.org/10.3171/2021.6.JNS204425
- Neonatal cranial sonography: A concise review for clinicians.J Pediatr Neurosci. 2016; 11: 7https://doi.org/10.4103/1817-1745.181261
- Non-invasive biomechanical characterization of intervertebral discs by shear wave ultrasound elastography: a feasibility study.Eur Radiol. 2014; 24: 3210-3216
- Evaluation of motion and its effect on brain magnetic resonance image quality in children.Pediatr Radiol. 2016; 46: 1728-1735
- Imaging Modalities in Pediatric NAFLD.Clin Liver Dis. 2021; 17: 200-208
- Magnetic Resonance Elastography.Curr Med Imaging Rev. 2012; 8: 46https://doi.org/10.2174/157340512799220562
- Comparison of Strain and Shear Wave Elastography for the Differentiation of Benign From Malignant Breast Lesions, Combined With B-mode Ultrasonography: Qualitative and Quantitative Assessments.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2014; 40: 2336-2344https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ULTRASMEDBIO.2014.05.020
Sowa Y, Numajiri T, Itsukage S, Nishino K. Comparison of Shear-Wave and Strain Ultrasound Elastography for Evaluating Fat Induration after Breast Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2016;4:e677. https://doi.org/10.1097/GOX.0000000000000678.
- Comparison of qualitative and semiquantitative strain elastography in breast lesions for diagnostic accuracy.Cancer Imaging. 2016; 16https://doi.org/10.1186/S40644-016-0070-8
- Ultrasound elastography: Principles and techniques.Diagn Interv Imaging. 2013; 94: 487-495https://doi.org/10.1016/J.DIII.2013.01.022
- Shear-wave elastography: Basic physics and musculoskeletal applications.Radiographics. 2017; 37: 855-870https://doi.org/10.1148/RG.2017160116/ASSET/IMAGES/LARGE/RG.2017160116.TBL1.JPEG
- Introduction to ultrasound elastography.J Ultrason. 2016; 16: 113https://doi.org/10.15557/JOU.2016.0013
- Epileptogenic zone detection in MRI negative epilepsy using adaptive thresholding of arterial spin labeling data.Sci Reports. 2021.1–6.; 2021: 11https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-89774-4
- Intraoperative ultrasound in spine surgery: history, current applications, future developments.Quant Imaging Med Surg. 2018; 8: 261https://doi.org/10.21037/QIMS.2018.04.02
- What we need to know when performing and interpreting US elastography.Clin Mol Hepatol. 2016; 22: 406-414
- Liver Fibrosis Imaging: A clinical review of Ultrasound and Magnetic Resonance Elastography.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2020; 51: 25-42
- WFUMB guidelines and recommendations for clinical use of ultrasound elastography: Part 3: liver.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2015; 41: 1161-1179
- Practice guideline for the performance of breast ultrasound elastography.Ultrasonography. 2014; 33: 3-10
- WFUMB guidelines and recommendations for clinical use of ultrasound elastography: Part 2: breast.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2015; 41: 1148-1160
- WFUMB Guidelines and Recommendations on the Clinical Use of Ultrasound Elastography: Part 5.Prostate Ultrasound Med Biol. 2017; 43: 27-48
- WFUMB Guidelines and Recommendations on the Clinical Use of Ultrasound Elastography: Part 4.Thyroid Ultrasound Med Biol. 2017; 43: 4-26