- •Sleep disturbance was associated with greater volumes in the lateral ventricles and greater total white matter hyperintensities.
- •Sleep disturbance was associated with lower mean volumes in 12 hippocampal, frontal, parietal, and temporal lobe regions.
- •Males, Hispanic participants, and those with less formal education were more likely to report sleep disruption.
- •A dementia diagnosis moderated the relationship between sleep disturbance and right and left lateral ventricular volumes.
Abbreviations:AD (Alzheimer's Disease), APOE e4 (apolipoprotein e4)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Sleep Facilitates Clearance of Metabolites from the Brain: Glymphatic Function in Aging and Neurodegenerative Diseases.Rejuvenation Res. 2013; 16: 518-523
- Apparent diffusion coefficient changes in human brain during sleep - Does it inform on the existence of a glymphatic system?.NeuroImage. 2019; 185: 263-273
- Amyloid-beta dynamics are regulated by orexin and the sleep-wake cycle.Science. 2009; 326: 1005-1007
Brown, B. M. et al. The Relationship between Sleep Quality and Brain Amyloid Burden. Sleep 39, 1063–1068 (2016).
- Self-reported Sleep and β-Amyloid Deposition in Community-Dwelling Older Adults.JAMA Neurol. 2013; 70: 1537-1543
- Sleep Disturbance Forecasts β-Amyloid Accumulation across Subsequent Years.Curr Biol. 2020; 30: 4291-4298.e3
- β-Amyloid accumulation in the human brain after one night of sleep deprivation.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2018; 115: 4483-4488
- Sleep disturbances increase the risk of dementia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Sleep Med Rev. 2018; 40: 4-16
- Associations between depression, sleep disturbance, and apolipoprotein E in the development of Alzheimer’s disease: dementia.Int Psychogeriatr. 2016; 28: 1409-1424
- Treatment of Sleep Disturbance May Reduce the Risk of Future Probable Alzheimer’s Disease.J Aging Health. 2019; 31: 322-342
- Poor sleep is associated with CSF biomarkers of amyloid pathology in cognitively normal adults.Neurology. 2017; 89: 445-453
- What is normal in normal aging? Effects of aging, amyloid and Alzheimer’s disease on the cerebral cortex and the hippocampus.Prog Neurobiol. 2014; 117: 20-40
- Neurogenic Responses to Amyloid-Beta Plaques in the Brain of Alzheimer’s Disease-Like Transgenic (pPDGF-APPSw, Ind) Mice.Neurobiol Dis. 2008; 29: 71-80
Reimann D. et al. Chronic insomnia and MRI-measured hippocampal volumes: a pilot study. Sleep 30, 955–958 (2007).
- Chronic sleep restriction causes a decrease in hippocampal volume in adolescent rats, which is not explained by changes in glucocorticoid levels or neurogenesis.Neuroscience. 2011; 190: 145-155
- Sleep quality in healthy older people: Relationship with 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopy markers of glial and neuronal integrity.Behav Neurosci. 2013; 127: 803-810
Spiegelhalder K. et al. Insomnia does not appear to be associated with substantial structural brain changes. Sleep 36, 731–737 (2013).
- Original Article: Lack of hippocampal volume differences in primary insomnia and good sleeper controls: An MRI volumetric study at 3Tesla.Sleep Med. 2010; 11: 576-582
- Poor sleep quality is associated with increased cortical atrophy in community-dwelling adults.Neurology. 2014; 83: 967-973
- Relationships between sleep quality and brain volume, metabolism, and amyloid deposition in late adulthood.Neurobiol Aging. 2016; 41: 107-114
- Regular article: Amyloid burden is associated with self-reported sleep in nondemented late middle-aged adults.Neurobiol Aging. 2015; 36: 2568-2576
- Gene dose of apolipoprotein E type 4 allele and the risk of Alzheimer9s disease in late onset families.Science. 1993; 261: 921-923
- Bidirectional relationship between sleep and Alzheimer’s disease: role of amyloid, tau, and other factors.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2020; 45: 104-120
- Modification of the Relationship of the Apolipoprotein E ε4 Allele to the Risk of Alzheimer Disease and Neurofibrillary Tangle Density by Sleep.JAMA Neurol. 2013; 70: 1544-1551
- Disturbed Sleep in Preclinical Cognitive Impairment: Cause and Effect?.Sleep. 2013; 36: 1275-1276
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Apolipoprotein E e4, and Mild Cognitive Impairment.Sleep Med. 2008; 9: 816-817
Virta JJ. et al. Midlife Sleep Characteristics Associated with Late Life Cognitive Function. Sleep 36, 1533–1541 (2013).
- Version 3 of the National Alzheimer’s Coordinating Center’s Uniform Data Set.Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2018; 32: 351
- The Neuropsychiatric Inventory Questionnaire.Background and Administration. 1994;
- Who Gets the Best Sleep? Ethnic and Socioeconomic Factors Related to Sleep Complaints.Sleep Med. 2010; 11: 470-478
- Later-life sleep, cognition, and neuroimaging research: an update for 2020.Curr Opin Behav Sci. 2020; 33: 72-77
- Sleep Disturbance Correlates With White Matter Hyperintensity in Patients With Subcortical Ischemic Vascular Dementia.J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2013; 26: 158-164
- Associations between self-reported sleep quality and white matter in community-dwelling older adults: A prospective cohort study.Hum Brain Mapp. 2017; 38: 5465-5473
Yaffe K. et al. Sleep Duration and White Matter Quality in Middle-Aged Adults. Sleep 39, 1743–1747 (2016).
- Sleep duration is associated with white matter hyperintensity volume in older adults: the Northern Manhattan Study.J Sleep Res. 2014; 23: 524-530
- White matter hyperintensities, cognitive impairment and dementia: an update.Nat Rev Neurol. 2015; 11: 157-165
- The association between poor sleep quality and global cortical atrophy is related to age. Results from the Atahualpa Project.Sleep Sci. 2016; 9: 147-150
Sterniczuk R, Theou O, Rusak B, Rockwood K. Sleep Disturbance is Associated with Incident Dementia and Mortality. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/car/2013/00000010/00000007/art00010 (2013).
Lo JC, Loh KK, Zheng H, Sim SKY, Chee MWL. Sleep Duration and Age-Related Changes in Brain Structure and Cognitive Performance. Sleep 37, 821–821 (2014).
- The clinical use of structural MRI in Alzheimer disease.Nat Rev Neurol. 2010; 6: 67-77
- Neuroimaging studies of mood disorder effects on the brain.Biol Psychiatry. 2003; 54: 338-352
- Study factors influencing ventricular enlargement in schizophrenia: a 20 year follow-up meta-analysis.NeuroImage. 2012; 59: 154-167
Lim ASP. et al. Regional Neocortical Gray Matter Structure and Sleep Fragmentation in Older Adults. Sleep 39, 227–235 (2016).
- Sleep-related brain atrophy and disrupted functional connectivity in older adults.Behav Brain Res. 2018; 347: 292-299
- Reduced Orbitofrontal and Parietal Gray Matter in Chronic Insomnia: A Voxel-Based Morphometric Study.Biol Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 182-185
- Hippocampal Substructural Vulnerability to Sleep Disturbance and Cognitive Impairment in Patients with Chronic Primary Insomnia: Magnetic Resonance Imaging Morphometry.Sleep. 2014; 37: 1189-1198
- Sleep deprivation and hippocampal vulnerability: changes in neuronal plasticity, neurogenesis and cognitive function.Neuroscience. 2015; 309: 173-190
- The Relationship between Hippocampal Volume and Cognition in Patients with Chronic Primary Insomnia.J Clin Neurol. 2012; 8: 130-138
- Sleep, hippocampal volume, and cognition in adults over 90 years old.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2018; 30: 1307-1318
- Changes in subcortical shape and cognitive function in patients with chronic insomnia.Sleep Med. 2017; 35: 23-26
- Altered gray matter volume in primary insomnia patients: a DARTEL-VBM study.Brain Imaging Behav. 2018; 12: 1759-1767
- Gray matter hypertrophy in primary insomnia: a surface-based morphometric study.Brain Imaging Behav. 2020; 14: 1309-1317
- Associations between subjective sleep quality and brain volume in Gulf War veterans.Sleep. 2014; 37: 445-452
Spira AP. et al. Sleep Duration and Subsequent Cortical Thinning in Cognitively Normal Older Adults. Sleep 39, 1121–1128 (2016).
- Chronic ‘jet lag’ produces temporal lobe atrophy and spatial cognitive deficits.Nat Neurosci. 2001; 4: 567-568
- Medial temporal lobe atrophy relates more strongly to sleep-wake rhythm fragmentation than to age or any other known risk.Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2019; 160: 132-138
- The Relationship Between Apolipoprotein ε4 Carrier Status and Sleep Characteristics in Cognitively Normal Older Adults.J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2017; 30: 273-279
- Evidence of association between sleep quality and APOE ε4 in healthy older adults: A pilot study.Neurology. 2016; 87: 1836-1842
- Association of Race and Ethnicity With Incidence of Dementia Among Older Adults.JAMA. 2022; 327: 1488
- Inequalities in dementia incidence between six racial and ethnic groups over 14 years.Alzheimers Dement. 2016; 12: 216-224
- The crisis in recruitment for clinical trials in Alzheimer’s and dementia: An action plan for solutions.Alzheimers Dement. 2016; 12: 1113-1115
- Discrimination and sleep: a systematic review.Sleep Med. 2016; 18: 88-95
- Structural Brain Modifications in Primary Insomnia: Myth or Reality?.Sleep. 2013; 36: 965-966