- •Social media is important in neurosurgery.
- •We recommended a reading list on social media in neurosurgery.
- •Topics are history, challenges, opportunities, and pitfalls of a neurosurgeon’s life online.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Neurosurgery and the rise of academic social media: what neurosurgeons should know.J Neurosurg. 2018; 129: 1093-1097
- Social Media Use for Professional Purposes in the Neurosurgical Community: A Multi-Institutional Study.World Neurosurg. 2019; 129: e367-e374
- Age-related differences in social media use in the neurosurgical community: a multi-institutional study.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2019; 180: 97-100
- Social Media Metrics and Bibliometric Profiles of Neurosurgical Departments and Journals: Is There a Relationship?.World Neurosurg. 2016; 90: 574-579.e7
- The Spectrum of Altmetrics in Neurosurgery: The Top 100 “Trending” Articles in Neurosurgical Journals.World Neurosurg. 2017; 2017: 883-895.e1
- Online Impact and Presence of a Specialized Social Media Team for the Journal of Neurosurgery: Descriptive Analysis.J Med Internet Res. 2020; 22: e17741
- Expanding the social media presence of the Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery: editor's report.J Neurointerv Surg. 2017 2017,; 9: 215-218
- Social media networking in pediatric hydrocephalus: a point-prevalence analysis of utilization.J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2017 2017,; 20: 119-124
- The role of social media in selective dorsal rhizotomy for children: information sharing and social support.Childs Nerv Syst. 2019 2019,; 35: 2179-2185
- Social Media in Neurosurgery: A Systematic Review.World Neurosurgery. 2021; 149: 38-50
- Hot Topics: Social Media and Surgery: History of Social Media in Surgery.Clin Colon Rect Surg. 2017; 30: 233-239
- A new dimension of health care: systematic review of the uses, benefits, and limitations of social media for health communication.J Med Intern Res. 2013; 15: e85
- Social media is a necessary component of surgery practice.Surgery. 2015; 158: 857-862
- Dangers and opportunities for social media in medicine.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 56: 453-462
- Social media: a review and tutorial of applications in medicine and health care.J Med Intern Res. 2014; 16: e13
- Social media and palliative medicine: a retrospective 2-year analysis of global Twitter data to evaluate the use of technology to communicate about issues at the end of life.BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2015; 5: 207-212
- The impact of social media on dissemination and implementation of clinical practice guidelines: a longitudinal observational study.J Med Intern Res. 2015; 17: e193
- Social media use in medical education: a systematic review.Acad Med. 2013; 88: 893-901
- The power of social media in medicine and medical education: opportunities, risks, and rewards.Clin Chem. 2018; 64: 1284-1290
- Systematic literature review on the spread of health-related misinformation on social media.Soc Sci Med. 2019; 240: 112552
- Protecting the value of medical science in the age of social media and “fake news”.JAMA. 2018; 320: 2415-2416
- Survey of individual and institutional risk associated with the use of social media.West J Emerg Med. 2016; 17: 344
- Prevalence of personal attacks and sexual harassment of physicians on social media.JAMA Intern Med. 2021; 181: 550-552
- Professional guidelines for social media use: a starting point.AMA J Ethics. 2015; 17: 441-447
- The ethical and professional use of social media in surgery—a systematic review of the literature.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018; 142: 388e-e398
- Social media guidelines and best practices: recommendations from the Council of Residency Directors Social Media Task Force.West J Emerg Med. 2014; 15: 26-30
Statement on Guidelines for the Ethical Use of Social Media by Surgeons.
- Best practices for surgeons' social media use: statement of the resident and associate society of the American College of surgeons.J Am Coll Surg. 2018; 226: 317-327
- Social Media Marketing Workbook.JM Internet Group, San Jose2017
- Social media for strategic communication: Creative strategies and research-based applications.Sage Publications, 2018
Tolentino J. Trick mirror: Reflections on self-delusion. Random House Trade Paperbacks; 2020.
Accepted: June 27, 2022
Received: December 23, 2021
© 2022 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.