- •Paediatric brain tumours are number one cause of oncology mortality.
- •Children in remote and rural locations have a significant delay to their diagnosis.
- •Significant delay from first presentation to medical imaging.
- •No delay from medical imaging to neurosurgical review and intervention.
- •No significant consequence to mortality but possible morbidity.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
- Diagnostic delay and morbidity of central nervous system tumours in children and young adults: pediatric hospital experience.J Neurooncol. 2019; 143: 297-304
- Improving diagnosis of pediatric central nervous system tumours: aiming for early detection.CMAJ. 2017; 189: E459-E463
- Strategies to accelerate diagnosis of primary brain tumors at the primary-secondary care interface in children and adults.CNS Oncol. 2013; 2: 447-462https://doi.org/10.2217/cns.13.36. PMID: 25054667; PMCID: PMC6136128
- Be Brain Tumour Aware. A new clinical guideline from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health with a national awareness campaign accelerates brain tumor diagnosis in UK children- “HeadSmart: Be Brain Tumour Aware”.Neuro-Oncology. 2015; 18: 445-454
- Delays in diagnosis of paediatric cancers: a systematic review and comparison with expert testimony in lawsuits.Lancet Oncol. 2012; 13: e445-e459https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(12)70361-3
- Duration between onset and diagnosis in central nervous system tumurs:impact on prognosis and functional outcome.Paediatr Int. 2014; 56: 829-833
Neal RD, Tharmanathan P, France B, Din NU, Cotton S, et al. Is increased time to diagnosis and treatment in symptomatic cancer associated with poorer outcomes? Systematic review. Br J Cancer. 2015 Mar 31;112 Suppl 1(Suppl 1):S92-107. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2015.48. PMID: 25734382; PMCID: PMC4385982.
R Core Team. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL http://www.R-project.org/. 2014.
- Specialist outreach to isolated and disadvantaged communities: a population-based study.Lancet. 2006; 368 (PMID: 16829297): 130-138https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(06)68812-0
Australian Bureau of Statistics (2016) ‘2016 Remoteness Area (RA) [https://dbr.abs.gov.au/absmaps/index.html]’ [interactive map], ABS Maps, last accessed 26 June 2021.
- Paediatric brain tumours treated at a single, tertiary paediatric neurosurgical referral centre from to 2010 in Australia.J Clin Neurosci. 1999; 2012: 1387-1391
- Cancer health inequality persists in regional and remote Australia.Med j Aust. 2014; 201: 445-446https://doi.org/10.5694/mja14.01217
Community Affairs Reference Committee. Availability and accessibility of diagnostic imaging equipment around Australia. March 2018. Commonwealth of Australia 2018. https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Diagnosticimaging/Report.