- •Combined Lokomat and conventional physiotherapy has superior effects than Lokomat alone.
- •The Lokomat may improve the functional gait ability after incomplete SCI.
- •The effect of the Lokomat on balance and cardiorespiratory fitness remains unclear.
- •The effects of Lokomat on the lower extremity spasticity was limited.
- •Lokomat is not superior in improving the gait speed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation.3rd ed. Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA2007
- Spinal cord injury medicine: rehabilitation phase after acute spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 81: S62-S70https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2006.12.003
- Cardiovascular complications of spinal cord injury.Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2012; 132: 1115-1120https://doi.org/10.4045/tidsskr.11.0551
- Relationship of spasticity to soft tissue body composition and the metabolic profile in persons with chronic motor complete spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2010; 33: 6-15https://doi.org/10.1080/10790268.2010.11689669
- Chronic pain following spinal cord injury.Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2012; 132: 974-979https://doi.org/10.4045/tidsskr.11.0794
- A systematic review of therapeutic interventions for pressure ulcers after spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 213-231https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2008.08.212
- Mechanisms of steoporosis in spinal cord injury.Osteoporos Int. 2006; 17: 180-192https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2006.02683.x
- Motor and sensory recovery following complete tetraplegia recovery following complete tetraplegia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1993; 74: 242-247
- Effectiveness of functional electrical stimulation (FES)-robot assisted wrist training on persons after stroke.Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2010; 2010: 5819-5822https://doi.org/10.1109/IEMBS.2010.5627471
- Long-term medical complications after traumatic spinal cord injury: a regional model systems analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999; 80: 1402-1410https://doi.org/10.1016/s0003-9993(99)90251-4
- Spinal cord injury medicine. 5. Longterm medical issues and health maintenance.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88: S76-S83https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2006.12.015
- Locomotor pattern in paraplegic patients: training effects and recovery of spinal cord function.Spinal Cord. 1998; 36: 380-390https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.sc.3100590
- Efficacy of rehabilitation robotics for walking training in neurological disorders: a review.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2011; 48: 387-416https://doi.org/10.1682/jrrd.2010.04.0055
- Spinal and supraspinal plasticity after incomplete spinal cord injury: correlations between functional magnetic resonance imaging and engaged locomotor networks.Prog Brain Res. 2000; 128: 99-111https://doi.org/10.1016/S0079-6123(00)28010-2
- Changes in supraspinal activation patterns following robotic locomotor therapy in motor-incomplete spinal cord injury.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2005; 19: 313-324https://doi.org/10.1177/1545968305281515
- Driven gait orthosis for improvement of locomotor training in paraplegic patients.Spinal Cord. 2001; 39: 252-255https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.sc.3101154
- Robot-assisted gait training (Lokomat) improves walking function and activity in people with spinal cord injury: a systematic review.J NeuroEng Rehabil. 2017; 14: 24https://doi.org/10.1186/s12984-017-0232-3
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration.PLoS Med. 2009; 6: e1000100https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000100
Recommendation Topics | United States Preventive Services Taskforce. Uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org. https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation-topics. Published 2012. Accessed January 27, 2021.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. (2012). Grade definitions. Retrieved from http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Name/ grade-definitions
- Reliability of the PEDro scale for rating quality of randomized controlled trials.Phys Ther. 2003; 83: 713-721
- The PEDro scale is a valid measure of the methodological quality of clinical trials: a demographic study.Aust J Physiother. 2009; 55: 129-133https://doi.org/10.1016/s0004-9514(09)70043-1
- Conservative management of lumbar disc herniation with associated radiculopathy: a systematic review.Spine. 2010; 35: E488-E504https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e3181cc3f56
- Interventions to reduce spasticity and improve function in people with chronic incomplete spinal cord injury.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2014; 29: 566-576https://doi.org/10.1177/1545968314558601
- Effect of Robotic Assisted Gait Training on functional and psychological improvement in patients with Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury.J Nov Physiother Phys Rehabil. 2017; 4: 083-086https://doi.org/10.17352/2455-5487.000053
- Influence of a locomotor training approach on walking speed and distance in people with chronic spinal cord injury: a randomized clinical trial.Phys Ther. 2011; 91: 48-60https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20090359
- Prediction of gait recovery in spinal cord injured individuals trained with robotic gait orthosis.J NeuroEng Rehabil. 2014; 11: 42https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-0003-11-42
- Effect of robotic gait training on cardiorespiratory system in incomplete spinal cord injury.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2013; 50: 1411-1422https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2012.10.0186
- Locomotor training using a robotic device in patients with subacute spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2011; 49: 1062-1067https://doi.org/10.1038/sc.2011.59
- Ankle voluntary movement enhancement following robotic-assisted locomotor training in spinal cord injury.J NeuroEng Rehabil. 2014; 11: 46https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-0003-11-46
- Lokomat Robotic-Assisted Versus Overground Training Within 3 to 6 Months of Incomplete Spinal Cord Lesion.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2012; 26: 1058-1063https://doi.org/10.1177/1545968312448232
- A comparison of robotic walking therapy and conventional walking therapy in individuals with upper versus lower motor neuron lesions: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 1023-1031https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2013.12.017
- Strength training versus robot-assisted gait training after incomplete spinal cord injury: a randomized pilot study in patients depending on walking assistance.J NeuroEng Rehabil. 2014; 11: 4https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-0003-11-4
- Research on design theory and compliant control for underactuated lower-extremity rehabilitation robotic systems.J Phys Ther Sci. 2014; 26: 1597-1599https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.26.1597
- Effect of robotic-assisted gait training in patients with incomplete spinal cord injury.Ann Rehabil Med. 2014; 38: 719https://doi.org/10.5535/arm.2014.38.6.719
- Transcranial direct current stimulation is not effective in the motor strength and gait recovery following motor incomplete spinal cord injury during Lokomat(®) gait training.Neurosci Lett. 2016; 620: 143-147https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2016.03.056
- Placebo-controlled study of rTMS combined with Lokomat® gait training for treatment in subjects with motor incomplete spinal cord injury.Exp Brain Res. 2016; 234: 3447-3455https://doi.org/10.1007/s00221-016-4739-9
- Training with robot-applied resistance in people with motor-incomplete spinal cord injury: pilot study.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2015; 52: 113-130https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2014.03.0090
- Robot-assisted locomotor training did not improve walking function in patients with chronic incomplete spinal cord injury: a randomized clinical trial.J Rehabil Med. 2019; 51: 385-389https://doi.org/10.2340/16501977-2547
- Robotic-assisted gait training in neurological patients: who may benefit?.Ann Biomed Eng. 2015; 43: 1260-1269https://doi.org/10.1007/s10439-015-1283-x
- Restoration of gait by combined treadmill training and multichannel electrical stimulation in non-ambulatory hemiparetic patients.Scand J Rehabil Med. 1995; 27: 199-204
- Spinal plasticity in robot-mediated therapy for the lower limbs.J Neuroeng Rehab. 2015; 12: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1186/s12984-015-0073-x
- Functional reorganization of soleus H-reflex modulation during stepping after robotic-assisted step training in people with complete and incomplete spinal cord injury.Exp Brain Res. 2013; 228: 279-296https://doi.org/10.1007/s00221-013-3560-y
- Temporal, kinematic, and kinetic variables related to gait speed in subjects with hemiplegia: a regression approach.Phys Ther. 1994; 74: 872-885https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/74.9.872
- Robot-assisted gait training is not superior to intensive overground walking in multiple sclerosis with severe disability (the RAGTIME study): A randomized controlled trial.Mult Scler. 2020; 26: 716-724https://doi.org/10.1177/1352458519833901
- The comparison of effect of treadmill and ergometer training on gait and balance in stroke.J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2010; 5: 1-9
- Foundations of clinical research: applications to practice.3rd ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ, Prentice Hall2009
- Changes in corticospinal function and ankle motor control during recovery from incomplete spinal cord injury.J Neurotrauma. 2008; 25: 467-478https://doi.org/10.1089/neu.2007.0472
- Skeletal muscle atrophy and increased intramuscular fat after incomplete spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2007; 45: 304-309https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.sc.3101968
- Reciprocal inhibition following lesions of the spinal cord in man.J Physiol. 1989; 414: 145-157https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1989.sp017681
- Locomotor capacity of spinal cord in paraplegic patients.Ann Neurol. 1995; 37: 574-582https://doi.org/10.1002/(ISSN)1531-824910.1002/ana.v37:510.1002/ana.410370506
- Epidemiologic change of patients with spinal cord injury.Ann Rehabil Med. 2013; 37: 50-56https://doi.org/10.5535/arm.2013.37.1.50
- Effectiveness of virtual reality on balance ability in individuals with incomplete spinal cord injury: a systematic review.J Clin Neurosci. 2020; 72: 322-327https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2020.01.037
- Changes in spasticity following functional electrical stimulation cycling in patients with spinal cord injury: a systematic review.J Spinal Cord Med. 2020; 1–14https://doi.org/10.1080/10790268.2020.1763713