- •How SARS-CoV-2 infection perpetuates impairment of cognitive functions yet to be elucidated.
- •Decreased brain metabolism of the DLPFC may be related to inflammatory processes led by SARS-CoV-2.
- •COVID-19-related reduced brain metabolism may be associated with transient cognitive deficits.
2. Case report
4. Ethical declaration
Declaration of Competing Interest
- Lifting the mask on neurological manifestations of COVID-19.Nat Rev Neurol. 2020; 16: 636-644
- Are we facing a crashing wave of neuropsychiatric sequelae of COVID-19? Neuropsychiatric symptoms and potential immunologic mechanisms.Brain Behav Immun. 2020; 87: 34-39
- Neuroimmune correlates of the nervous system involvement of COVID-19: A commentary.J Clin Neurosci. 2020; 78: 449-450
- Dorsolateral prefrontal contributions to human working memory.Cortex. 2013; 49: 1195-1205
- Severe neurologic syndrome associated with Middle East respiratory syndrome corona virus (MERS-CoV).Infection. 2015; 43: 495-501
- The cognitive consequences of the COVID-19 epidemic: collateral damage?.Brain Commun. 2020; 2 (fcaa069)
- Cerebral micro-structural changes in COVID-19 patients – an MRI-based 3-month follow-up study: a brief title: cerebral changes in COVID-19.EClinicalMedicine. 2020; 25: 100484https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eclinm.2020.100484
- 7T brain MRS in HIV infection: correlation with cognitive impairment and performance on neuropsychological tests.Am J Neuroradiol. 2018; 39: 704-712
- The glutamate system as a crucial regulator of CNS toxicity and survival of HIV reservoirs.Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2020; 10: 261
Crunfli F, Carregari VC, Veras FP, Vendramini PH, Valença AGF, Antunes ASLM, et al. (2020): SARS-CoV-2 infects brain astrocytes of COVID-19 patients and impairs neuronal viability. medRxiv.
- Moderate relationships between NAA and cognitive ability in healthy adults: Implications for cognitive spectroscopy.Front Hum Neurosci. 2014; 8: 39
- Rationale for the use of N-acetylcysteine in both prevention and adjuvant therapy of COVID-19.FASEB J. 2020; 34: 13185-13193
- The role of glutathione in protecting against the severe inflammatory response triggered by covid-19.Antioxidants. 2020; 9: 1-16