- •We report a patient with adult-onset Alexander disease (AOAD) mimicking MSA-C.
- •Cerebellar ataxia, spasticity, bradykinesia and urinary disturbance were observed.
- •The patient showed striatal dopaminergic deficit on DAT SPECT.
- •We should recognize that AOAD can affect striatal dopaminergic systems.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Identification of GFAP gene mutation in hereditary adult-onset Alexander's disease.Ann Neurol. 2002; 52: 779-785
- Second consensus statement on the diagnosis of multiple system atrophy.Neurology. 2008; 71: 670-676
- Adult-onset Alexander disease with typical “tadpole” brainstem atrophy and unusual bilateral basal ganglia involvement: a case report and review of the literature.BMC Neurol. 2010; 10: 21
- [A case of Alexander disease presented with dystonia of lower limb and decreased dopaminergic uptake in dopamine transporter scintigraphy].Rinsho Shinkeigaku. 2020; 60: 712-715
- A case report of adult-onset Alexander disease clinically presenting as Parkinson’s disease: is the comorbidity associated with genetic susceptibility?.BMC Neurol. 2020; 20: 27
- Familial adult-onset Alexander disease with a novel mutation (D78N) in the glial fibrillary acidic protein gene with unusual bilateral basal ganglia involvement.J Neurol Sci. 2013; 331: 161-164
- Neuropsychological features of adult form of Alexander disease.J Neurol Sci. 2019; 401: 87-89
Yoshida T, Sasayama H, Mizuta I, Okamoto Y, Yoshida M, Riku Y, et al. Glial fibrillary acidic protein mutations in adult-onset Alexander disease: clinical features observed in 12 Japanese patients. Acta Neurol Scand, 2011;124:104-8.
Koga S, Parks A, Uitti RJ, van Gerpen JA, Cheshire WP, Wszolek ZK, et al. Profile of cognitive impairment and underlying pathology in multiple system atrophy. Mov Disord, 2017;32:405-13.
- Cognition in multiple system atrophy: a single-center cohort study.Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2020; 7: 219-228