- •Th17 cells and IFN-γ and IL-12p70 are involved in the pathogenesis and progression of GBS/EAN.
- •Administration of ginkgolides delayed the peak of disease and ameliorated the maximal scores of EAN in C57BL/6 mice might via down-regulating the proportions of Th17 cells in EAN spleens.
- •Ginkgolides suppressed inflammation response by decreasing pro-inflammatory cytokines IFN-γ and IL-12 in GBS patients.
Abbreviations:GBS (Guillain-Barré syndrome), EAN (experimental autoimmune neuritis), GB (ginkgolide B), PAF (platelet-activating factor), MNCs (mononuclear cells), IFN (interferon), IL (interleukin), p.i (post-immunization), Th (T helper), Treg (regulatory T), IVIg (immunoglobulin), HFGS (functional grading scale), MRC (Medical Research Council), CBA (cytometric beads array), MФ (macrophages), NF-κB (nuclear factor-κB), TLR (toll-like receptors), MyD88 (myeloid differentiation factor 88)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Infectious and noninfectious triggers in Guillain-Barré syndrome.Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2013; 9: 627-639
- Cytokine production and the pathogenesis of experimental autoimmune neuritis and Guillain-Barré syndrome.J Neuroimmunol. 1998; 84: 40-52
- Chemistry and biology of terpene trilactones from Ginkgo biloba.Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2004; 43: 1640-1658
- Effect of cyclosporin A and the platelet-activating factor (PAF) antagonist, BN 52021, on PAF- and antigen-induced bronchoconstriction in the guinea-pig.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1989; 163: 118-123
- Platelet-activating factor receptors mediate excitatory postsynaptic hippocampal injury in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis.J Neurosci. 2016; 36: 1336-1346
- Controlled trial prednisolone in acute polyneuropathy.Lancet. 1978; 2: 750-753
- Interobserver agreement in the assessment of muscle strength and functional abilities in Guillain-Barré syndrome.Muscle Nerve. 1991; 14: 1103-1109
- Severe Guillain-Barré syndrome in childhood treated with human immune globulin.Pediatr Neurol. 1996; 14: 308-312
- Th1/Th2/Th17/Treg cytokines in Guillain-Barré syndrome and experimental autoimmune neuritis.Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2013; 24: 443-453
- IL-17 and IL-22 in cerebrospinal fluid and plasma are elevated in Guillain-Barré syndrome.Mediators Inflamm. 2012; 2012260473
- Increased levels of activated T-cells and reduced levels of CD4/CD25+ cells in peripheral blood of Guillain-Barré syndrome patients compared to controls.J Clin Neurosci. 2008; 15: 1031-1035
- Inhibition of NF-κB activation is associated with anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic effects of Ginkgolide B in a mouse model of cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury.Eur J Pharm Sci. 2012; 47: 652-660
- Neuroprotective effects of bilobalide on cerebral ischemia and reperfusion injury are associated with inhibition of pro-inflammatory mediator production and down-regulation of JNK1/2 and p38 MAPK activation.J Neuroinflammation. 2014; 11: 167
- Ginkgolides and bilobalide protect BV2 microglia cells against OGD/reoxygenation injury by inhibiting TLR2/4 signaling pathways.Cell Stress Chaperones. 2016; 21: 1037-1053
- In vitro effects of astaxanthin combined with ginkgolide B on T lymphocyte activation in peripheral blood mononuclear cells from asthmatic subjects.J Pharmacol Sci. 2004; 94: 129-136
- Ginkgolide B modulates BDNF expression in acute ischemic stroke.J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2017; 60: 391-396
- Bilobalide promotes expression of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor and vascular endothelial growth factor in rat astrocytes.Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2000; 21: 151-155
- IFN-γ deficiency exacerbates experimental autoimmune neuritis in mice despite a mitigated systemic Th1 immune response.J Neuroimmunol. 2012; 246: 18-26
- Role of cytokines and Toll-like receptors in the immunopathogenesis of Guillain-Barré syndrome.Mediators Inflamm. 2014; 2014758639
- Toll-like receptor 2 and -4 are involved in the pathogenesis of the Guillain-Barré syndrome.Mol Med Rep. 2015; 12: 3207-3213
- Toll-like receptor-2, CD14 and heat-shock protein 70 in inflammatory lesions of rat experimental autoimmune neuritis.Neuroscience. 2009; 159: 136-142