- •Various types of cerebellar degeneration syndrome are often complicated with autonomic symptoms or dysfunction.
- •Skin vasomotor function including sympathetic nerve activity (SSNA) was not evaluated in DRPLA.
- •The resting SSNA was lower and the latency of SSNA reflex bursts prolonged in a patient with DRPLA.
- •This is the first report to record SSNA and confirm subclinical autonomic dysfunction in a case with DRPLA.
Abbreviations:DRPLA (Dentatorubral-pallidoluysian atrophy), SCA (spinocerebellar ataxia), SSNA (skin sympathetic nerve activity), SSR (sympathetic skin response), SVR (skin vasomotor reflex), MSA (multiple system atrophy)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Clinical and genetic characteristics of non-Asian dentatorubral-pallidoluysian atrophy: a systematic review.Mov Disord. 2009; 24: 1636-1640
- Long-term disability and prognosis in dentatorubral-pallidoluysian atrophy: a correlation with CAG repeat length.Mov Disord. 2010; 25: 1694-1700
 Carroll LS, Massey TH, Wardle M, Peall KJ. Dentatorubral-pallidoluysian atrophy: an update. Tremor Other Hyperkinet Mov 2018; 8: 577, eCollection 2018.
- Sporadic ataxias in Japan – a population-based epidemiological study.Cerebellum. 2008; 7: 189-197
- Machado-Joseph disease: cerebellar ataxia and autonomyc dysfunction in a patient with the shortest known expanded allele (56 CAG repeat units) of the MJD 1 gene.Neurology. 1997; 49: 604-606
- Autonomic dysfunction in Machado-Joseph disease.Arch Neurol. 2005; 62: 630-636
- Pre- and postganglionic vasomotor dysfunction causes distal limb coldness in multiple system atrophy.J Neurol Sci. 2017; 380: 191-195
- Multiple system atrophy: a review of 203 pathologically proven cases.Mov Disord. 1997; 12: 133-147
- The “cold hands sign” in multiple system atrophy.Mov Disord. 1997; 12: 514-518
- Sympathetic outflow to skin predicts central autonomic dysfunction in multiple system atrophy.Neurol Sci. 2020; 41: 2241-2248
- Dentatorubral-pallidoluysian atrophy or Naito-Oyanagi disease.Neurogenetics. 1998; 2: 1-17