- •There is an increase in patients with brain tumors treated with proton beam in the US.
- •High-grade glioma and medulloblastoma are among the most common histologies treated.
- •Most were 18–29 years old, Caucasian, privately insured, & at academic institutions.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
- Clinical outcomes among children with standard-risk medulloblastoma treated with proton and photon radiation therapy: a comparison of disease control and overall survival.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016; 94: 133-138
- Use of proton therapy for re-irradiation in pediatric intracranial ependymoma.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 116: 301-308
- Proton beam therapy for pediatric ependymoma.Pediatr Int. 2015; 57: 567-571
- Proton radiation therapy (PRT) for pediatric optic pathway gliomas: comparison with 3D planned conventional photons and a standard photon technique.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1999; 45: 1117-1126
- Differential dosimetric benefit of proton beam therapy over intensity modulated radiotherapy for a variety of targets in patients with intracranial germ cell tumors.Radiat Oncol. 2015; 10: 135
- Dosimetric comparison of three-dimensional conformal proton radiotherapy, intensity-modulated proton therapy, and intensity-modulated radiotherapy for treatment of pediatric craniopharyngiomas.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 82: 643-652
- Proton versus photon radiotherapy for common pediatric brain tumors: comparison of models of dose characteristics and their relationship to cognitive function.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2008; 51: 110-117
- Proton and carbon ion radiotherapy for primary brain tumors and tumors of the skull base.Acta Oncol. 2013; 52: 1504-1509
- Proton therapy for low-grade gliomas: Results from a prospective trial.Cancer. 2015; 121: 1712-1719
Therapy TNAfP. Proton Therapy Centers in the U.S. 2019. Accessed on 01/02/2020 at: https://www.proton-therapy.org/map/.
Ferre RD. Proton Therapy Centers in the United States. 2019. Accessed on 01/02/2020 at: https://proton-therapy-centers.com/.
Ostrom QT, Gittleman H, Fulop J, Liu M, Blanda R, Kromer C, Wolinsky Y, Kruchko C, Barnholtz-Sloan JS. CBTRUS Statistical Report: Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2008-2012. Neuro Oncol. 2015;17 Suppl 4:iv1-iv62.
- National practice patterns of proton versus photon therapy in the treatment of adult patients with primary brain tumors in the United States.Acta Oncol. 2019; 58: 66-73
- Proton therapy patterns of care among pediatric and adult patients with CNS tumors.Neuro Oncol. 2018; 20: 1556-1557
Surgeons ACo. National Cancer Database. 2019. Accessed on 01/02/2020 at: https://www.facs.org/quality-programs/cancer/ncdb.
(IACR) IAoCR. International Classification of Diseases for Oncology (ICD-0-3). 2019. Accessed on 01/02/2020 at: http://www.iacr.com.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=100&Itemid=577.
- A review of dosimetric and toxicity modeling of proton versus photon craniospinal irradiation for pediatrics medulloblastoma.Acta Oncol. 2017; 56: 1031-1042
Health NIo. ClinicalTrials.gov Search for Proton, Adult, recruiting, active, and not recruiting studies. 2019. Accessed on 01/02/2020 at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=Proton&recrs=a&recrs=d&age_v=&age=1&gndr=&type=&rslt=&Search=Apply.
(PTCOG) PTC-OG. Clinical Trials for Particle Therapy. 2019. Accessed on 01/02/2020 at: https://ptcog.ch/index.php/clinical-protocols.
Services DoHaH. 42 CFR Part 512. Medicare Program; Specialty Care Models to Improve Quality of Care and Reduce Expenditures. 2019. Accessed on 01/02/2020 at: https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/CMS-5527-P.pdf.
- Randomized Trials of Proton Therapy: Why They Are at Risk, Proposed Solutions, and Implications for Evaluating Advanced Technologies to Diagnose and Treat Cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 2461-2464
- Insurance Approval for Proton Beam Therapy and its Impact on Delays in Treatment.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2019; 104: 714-723
- Primary central nervous system tumors: comparing two national cancer registries.World Neurosurg. 2019;