- •We performed an association study of polymorphisms within SLC1A1 gene in a group of OCD patients and healthy controls.
- •The A-A-G (rs301434-rs3780412-rs301443) haplotype was associated with OCD.
- •Hoarding, Neutralization and Checking dimensions were associated with SLC1A1 variations.
- •Our results demonstrated that the SLC1A1 may contribute to some extent the susceptibility to OCD and its symptoms.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
- Symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder.Am J Psychiatry. 1997; 154: 911-917
- Genetic and environmental influences on obsessive-compulsive disorder.Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2008; 258: 107-116
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder: an integrative genetic and neurobiological perspective.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2014; 15: 410-424
- The role of central oxytocin in obsessive compulsive disorder and related normal behavior.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 1994; 19: 723-749
- Postpartum-onset obsessive-compulsive disorder: incidence, clinical features, and related factors.J Clin Psychiatry. 2007; 68: 132-138
- Effects of intensive cognitive-behavioral therapy on cingulate neurochemistry in obsessive-compulsive disorder.J Psychiatr Res. 2013; 47: 494-504
- The role of the striatum in compulsive behavior in intact and orbitofrontal-cortex-lesioned rats: possible involvement of the serotonergic system.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010; 35: 1026-1039
- Streptococcal infection, Tourette syndrome, and OCD: is there a connection? PANDAS: horse or zebra?.Neurology. 2010; 74 (author reply 1398-1399): 1397-1398
- Obsessive compulsive disorder and the glutamatergic system.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2014; 27: 32-37
- Glutamatergic synaptic dysfunction and obsessive-compulsive disorder.Curr Chem Genomics. 2008; 2: 62-75
- The role of glutamate signaling in the pathogenesis and treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2012; 100: 726-735
- Decreased thalamic glutamate level in unmedicated adult obsessive-compulsive disorder patients detected by proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy.J Affect Disord. 2015; 178: 193-200
- Genetic and imaging strategies in obsessive-compulsive disorder: potential implications for treatment development.Biol Psychiatry. 2000; 48: 1210-1222
- Neurobiology of obsessive compulsive disorder.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1992; 15: 813-824
- Association between genetic variants related to glutamatergic, dopaminergic and neurodevelopment pathways and white matter microstructure in child and adolescent patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder.J Affect Disord. 2015; 186: 284-292
- Genome-wide linkage analysis of families with obsessive-compulsive disorder ascertained through pediatric probands.Am J Med Genet. 2002; 114: 541-552
- Replication study supports evidence for linkage to 9p24 in obsessive-compulsive disorder.Am J Hum Genet. 2004; 75: 508-513
- OCD candidate gene SLC1A1/EAAT3 impacts basal ganglia-mediated activity and stereotypic behavior.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017; 114: 5719-5724
- Association testing of the positional and functional candidate gene SLC1A1/EAAC1 in early-onset obsessive-compulsive disorder.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006; 63: 778-785
- Glutamate transporter gene SLC1A1 associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006; 63: 769-776
- Association of the SLC1A1 glutamate transporter gene and obsessive-compulsive disorder.Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2007; 144B: 1027-1033
- A family-based association study of the glutamate transporter gene SLC1A1 in obsessive-compulsive disorder in 378 families.Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2009; 150B: 886-892
- Comprehensive family-based association study of the glutamate transporter gene SLC1A1 in obsessive-compulsive disorder.Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2011; 156B: 472-477
- A haplotype containing quantitative trait loci for SLC1A1 gene expression and its association with obsessive-compulsive disorder.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2009; 66: 408-416
- Association between SLC1A1 gene and early-onset OCD in the Han Chinese population: a case-control study.J Mol Neurosci. 2013; 50: 353-359
- Association of the candidate gene SLC1A1 and obsessive-compulsive disorder in Han Chinese population.Psychiatry Res. 2013; 209: 737-739
- A screen of SLC1A1 for OCD-related alleles.Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2010; 153B: 675-679
- A single nucleotide polymorphism in SLC1A1 gene is associated with age of onset of obsessive-compulsive disorder.Eur Psychiatry. 2014; 29: 301-303
- Meta-analysis of association between obsessive-compulsive disorder and the 3' region of neuronal glutamate transporter gene SLC1A1.Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2013; 162B: 367-379
- Genome-wide association study in obsessive-compulsive disorder: results from the OCGAS.Mol Psychiatry. 2015; 20: 337-344
- Genome-wide association study of obsessive-compulsive disorder.Mol Psychiatry. 2013; 18: 788-798
- Obsessive-compulsive symptoms in a large population-based twin-family sample are predicted by clinically based polygenic scores and by genome-wide SNPs.Transl Psychiatry. 2016; 6 (e731)
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase gene polymorphisms in specific obsessive-compulsive disorder patients' subgroups.J Mol Neurosci. 2016; 58: 129-136
American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 4th; 2000.
- Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview (MINI): validation of a short structured diagnostic psychiatric interview.Rev Bras Psiquiatr. 2000; 22: 106-115
- Obsessive-compulsive inventory and obsessive-compulsive inventory-revised scales: translation into brazilian portuguese and cross-cultural adaptation.Rev Bras Psiquiatr. 2008; 30: 42-46
- Association of GRIN2B gene polymorphism and Obsessive Compulsive disorder and symptom dimensions: a pilot study.Psychiatry Res. 2016; 243: 152-155
- Association analysis of SLC6A4 and HTR2A genes with obsessive-compulsive disorder: influence of the STin2 polymorphism.Compr Psychiatry. 2018; 82: 1-6
- Gene variations in PBX1, LMX1A and SLITRK1 are associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder and its clinical features.J Clin Neurosci. 2018;
- Florida Obsessive-Compulsive Inventory: development, reliability, and validity.J Clin Psychol. 2007; 63: 851-859
- Utility of the Modified Mini Screen (MMS) for Screening Mental Health Disorders in a Prison Population.University of Iowa, 2008
- A simple and cost-effective protocol for DNA isolation from buccal epithelial cells.Braz Dent J. 2007; 18: 148-152
- Haploview: analysis and visualization of LD and haplotype maps.Bioinformatics. 2005; 21: 263-265
- Psychometric properties and construct validity of the Obsessive-Compulsive Inventory – revised: Replication and extension with a clinical sample.J Anxiety Disord. 2006; 20: 1016-1035
- The neuronal excitatory amino acid transporter EAAC1/EAAT3: does it represent a major actor at the brain excitatory synapse?.J Neurochem. 2006; 98: 1007-1018
- The glutamate/neutral amino acid transporter family SLC1: molecular, physiological and pharmacological aspects.Pflugers Arch. 2004; 447: 469-479
- Transfer of glutamine between astrocytes and neurons.J Neurochem. 2001; 77: 705-719
- Glutamate uptake.Prog Neurobiol. 2001; 65: 1-105
- Function of alternative splicing.Gene. 2005; 344: 1-20
- Isoforms of the neuronal glutamate transporter gene, SLC1A1/EAAC1, negatively modulate glutamate uptake: relevance to obsessive-compulsive disorder.Transl Psychiatry. 2013; 3 (e259)
- The eukaryotic genome as an RNA machine.Science. 2008; 319: 1787-1789
- The complex eukaryotic transcriptome: unexpected pervasive transcription and novel small RNAs.Nat Rev Genet. 2009; 10: 833-844
Revealing the complex genetic architecture of obsessive-compulsive disorder using meta-analysis. Mol Psychiatry 2017.
- Failure to replicate a genetic association may provide important clues about genetic architecture.PLoS ONE. 2009; 4 (e5639)
- Trans-synaptic adhesions between netrin-G ligand-3 (NGL-3) and receptor tyrosine phosphatases LAR, protein-tyrosine phosphatase delta (PTPdelta), and PTPsigma via specific domains regulate excitatory synapse formation.J Biol Chem. 2010; 285: 13966-13978
- Epistasis: too often neglected in complex trait studies?.Nat Rev Genet. 2004; 5: 618-625
☆This work was supported by the Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq, Brazil; grant number 477658/2009-1 and 472033/2012-3), Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (FAPERJ, Brazil; grant number E-26/110.080/2010 and E-26/111.751/2012), and Pró-Reitoria de Pesquisa, Pós-Graduação e Inovação from Universidade Federal Fluminense (Proppi/PDI/UFF).