- •Surgery of ventricular lesions requires detailed information regarding white matter fibers.
- •Corona radiata and tapetum fibers were demonstrated by dissecting hemispheres.
- •The location of fibers must be assessed by performing MR tractography.
In this study the three-dimensional anatomy of the corona radiata and tapetum via the fiber dissection and diffusion tensor imaging of the brain for ventricular surgery was demonstrated. Ten formalin-fixed cerebral hemispheres were dissected for corona radiata and tapetum via Klingler’s fiber dissection method under an operating microscope. The corona radiata and tapetum were dissected through lateral and medial surfaces of the cerebral hemisphere, respectively. All surgical routes for ventricular lesions were evaluated for white matter fibers during and after dissections. Corona radiata and tapetum fibers were demonstrated by dissecting hemispheres through lateral and medial aspects of the brain. The internal capsule contains all fibers that extend from thalamus to cortex and cortex to thalamus, brainstem, and spinal cord. These fan-shaped fibers extending from cortex to internal capsule were named the corona radiata. The corona radiata is not a specific pathway, and it is composed of several different fiber pathways. The tapetum contains splenium and body fibers of the corpus callosum. Tapetum is located immediately medial to the ependymal line of the ventricular wall and forms a fiber layer in the medial optical radiation on the coronal and axial sections. Surgical planning for ventricular lesions requires detailed information regarding white matter fibers that can be obtained by the fiber dissection and diffusion tensor imaging of the brain to decrease surgical complications.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgery of the third ventricle.Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore1998
- Right spatial neglect after left hemisphere stroke: qualitative and quantitative study.Neurology. 2004; 63: 1600-1605
- Beyond cortical localization in clinicoanatomical correlation.Cortex. 2012; 48: 1262-1287
- Perisylvian language networks of the human brain.Ann Neurol. 2005; 57: 8-16
- Transcortical surgery for lateral ventricular tumors.Neurosurg Focus. 2001; 10: E2
- The white matter tracts of the cerebrum in ventricular surgery and hydrocephalus.J Neurosurg. 2016; 3: 1-27
- Surgical approaches to the temporal horn: an anatomic analysis of white matter tract ınterruption.Oper Neurosurg. 2016; : 1-13
- Transcallosal approach for tumors of the lateral and third ventricles.Neurosurg Focus. 2001; 10: E3
- Surgical approaches to the atrium of the lateral ventricle: microsurgical anatomy.Surg Neurol. 2006; 65: 436-445
- Anatomy of optic nerve radiations as assessed by static perimetry and MRI after tailored temporal lobectomy.Br J Ophthalmol. 2000; 84: 884-889
- Surgical anatomy and surgical approaches to the lateral ventricles.Adv Tech Stand Neurosurg. 2009; 34: 147-187
- Anatomic relationship of the optic radiations to the atrium of the lateral ventricle: description of a novel entry point to the trigone.Oper Neurosurg. 2008; 63: 195-202
- Morphometry of in vivo human white matter association pathways with diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging.Ann Neurol. 1997; 42: 951-962
- Morbidity of transcallosal and transcortical approaches to lesions in and around the lateral and third ventricles: a single-institution experience.Neurosurgery. 2010; 67: 1483-1496
- The human central nervous system.Springer, Berlin2008
- New application of diffusion tensor imaging in neurosurgery.J Med Life. 2011; 4: 372-376
- Tapetum corporis callosi: carpet of the brain.J Hist Neurosci. 2007; 16: 432-434
- Fiber pathways of the brain.Oxford University Press, New York2009
- Microsurgical anatomy of the transcallosal approach to the ventricular system, pineal region and basal ganglia.Child’s Nerv Syst. 1989; 5: 212-219
- Tumors of the lateral ventricle: the factors that affected the preference of the surgical approach in 46 patients.Turk Neurosurg. 2008; 18: 345-355
- Quantification of white matter fibre pathways disruption in frontal transcortical approach to the lateral ventricle or the interventricular foramen in diffusion tensor tractography.Folia Morphol (Warsz). 2014; 73: 129-138
- Complications and expected outcome of glioma surgery.J Neurooncol. 1999; 42: 289-302
- Surgery of intraventricular tumors.Neurosurgery. 2008; 62: 1029-1041
- Microneurosurgery: microneurosurgery of CNS tumors.Thieme, Stuttgart1996
Published online: August 27, 2018
Accepted: August 13, 2018
Received: April 25, 2018
© 2018 Published by Elsevier Ltd.