- •Metastatic lung cancer holds a poor prognosis with high morbidity and mortality.
- •No significance was found in primary cancer type nor number of vertebral levels.
- •Non-operative treatments may have a significant survival advantage over surgery.
- •Less aggressive approaches may be beneficial for lung cancer spinal metastases.
Seventy percent of cancer patients will have metastatic bone disease, most commonly in the vertebra. Prognosis of metastatic lung cancer is poor and treatment is mostly palliative. To-date, there is no systematic review on the ideal treatment for lung cancer with spinal metastases in regards to mortality. Literature searches were performed based on PRISMA guidelines for systematic review. Thirty-nine studies comprising 1925 patients treated for spinal metastases of lung cancer met inclusion criteria. All analyses were performed using SAS and SPSS. Data were analyzed for meaningful comparisons of baseline patient characteristics, primary cancer type, metastatic lesion characteristics, treatment modality, and clinical and radiologic outcomes. Significantly greater mean survival length was seen in the non-surgical group (8.5 months, SD 6.6, SEM 0.17) compared to the surgical group (7.5 months, SD 4.5, SEM 0.25; p = 0.013). There was no statistically significant survival difference between different types of primary lung cancer: NSCLC (8.3 months, SD 13.8, SEM 0.91) and SCLC (7.0 months, SD 4.6, SEM 0.46; p = 0.36). Number of vertebral levels involved per lesion also did not exhibit significant difference: single lesion (11.3 months, SD 6.8, SEM 2.2) and multiple lesions (13.8 months, SD 15.7, SEM 3.6; p = 0.64). For patients with symptomatic spinal metastases from lung cancer, non-operative approaches experience significantly better survival outcomes (p = 0.013). Future clinical studies are needed to determine the best treatment algorithm to help maximize outcomes and minimize mortality in metastatic lung cancer.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Advanced lung cancer: aggressive surgical therapy vertebral body involvement.Thoracic Surgery Clin. 2014; 24: 423-431
- Anterolateral percutaneous vertebroplasty at C2 for lung cancer metastasis and upper cervical facet joint block.The Clin J Pain. 2008; 24: 641-646
- Application of morphometric analysis to patients with lung cancer metastasis to the spine: a clinical study.Neurosurg Focus. 2016; 41: E12
- Clinical features of metastatic bone disease and risk of skeletal morbidity.Clin Cancer Res: Off J Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2006; 12: 6243s-6249s
- CX3CL1: a potential chemokine widely involved in the process spinal metastases.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 15213-15219
- Disappearance of lung adenocarcinoma after total en bloc spondylectomy using frozen tumor-bearing vertebra for reconstruction.Eur Spine J: Off Publ Eur Spine Soc, Eur Spinal Deform Soc, Eur Sect Cerv Spine Res Soc. 2016; 25: 53-57
- Effect of surgery on quality of life of patients with spinal metastasis from non-small-cell lung cancer.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016; 98: 396-402
- Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008.Int J Cancer. 2010; 127: 2893-2917
- Evaluation of the relevance of surgery in a retrospective case series of patients who underwent the surgical treatment of a symptomatic spine metastasis from lung cancer.Eur Spine J: Off Publ Eur Spine Soc, Eur Spinal Deform Soc, Eur Sect Cerv Spine Res Soc. 2016; 25: 4052-4059
- Factors affecting survival in patients undergoing palliative spine surgery for metastatic lung and hepatocellular cancer: dose the type of surgery influence the surgical results for metastatic spine disease?.Clinics in orthopedic surgery. 2015; 7: 344-350
- Factors associated with life expectancy in patients with metastatic spine disease from adenocarcinoma of the lung.Global Spine J. 2015; 5: 417-424
- Incidence, associated factors, and survival in metastatic spinal cord compression secondary to lung cancer.Spine J: Off J North Am Spine Soc. 2015; 15: 1263-1269
- Individual strategy for lung cancer patients with metastatic spinal cord compression.Eur J Surg Oncol: J Eur Soc Surg Oncol British Assoc Surg Oncol. 2016; 42: 728-734
- Intradural extramedullary metastasis of small cell lung cancer: a case report.Korean J Spine. 2012; 9: 293-296
- Intramedullary thoracic spinal metastasis from small-cell lung cancer. Monaldi archives for chest disease.Archivio Monaldi per le malattie del torace. 2013; 79: 140-142
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung metastatic to the cauda equina.Spine J: Off J North Am Spine Soc. 2010; 10: e1-e5
- Long-term survival of a patient with lung cancer metastasis to the spine following surgical treatment combined with radiation and epithelial growth factor receptor inhibitor therapy: a case report.Exp Therapeutic Med. 2015; 9: 117-119
- Malignant mesothelioma and central nervous system metastases. Report of two cases, pooled analysis, and systematic review.Annals Am Thoracic Soc. 2014; 11: 1075-1081
- Metastasis to the occipitocervical junction: A case report and review of the literature.Surg Neurol Int. 2010; 1: 16
- Metastatic spinal tumors.Neurosurg Focus. 2001; 11e1
- The metastatic spine disease multidisciplinary working group algorithms.Oncologist. 2015; 20: 1205-1215
- On the use of volumetric-modulated arc therapy for single-fraction thoracic vertebral metastases stereotactic body radiosurgery.Medical Dosim: Off J Am Assoc Med Dosim. 2017; 42: 69-75
- Percutaneous surgery for treatment of epidural spinal cord compression and spinal instability: technical note.Neurosurg Focus. 2016; 41: E2
- Prediction of skeletal-related events in patients with non-small cell lung cancer.Support Care Cancer: Off J Multinat Assoc Support Care Cancer. 2016; 24: 3361-3367
- Prognostic factors and skeletal-related events in patients with small cell lung cancer with bone metastases at the time of diagnosis.Oncology. 2016; 90: 103-111
- Radiation therapy did not alleviate complete paralysis due to metastasis of lung adenocarcinoma to thoracic vertebrae until four months later.Acta Oncologica (Stockholm, Sweden). 2011; 50: 606-608
- Radiosurgery for the treatment of spinal lung metastases.Cancer. 2006; 107: 2653-2661
- Randomized, double-blind study of denosumab versus zoledronic acid in the treatment of bone metastases in patients with advanced cancer (excluding breast and prostate cancer) or multiple myeloma.J Clin Oncol: Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 1125-1132
- Rapid and complete radiological resolution of an intradural cervical cord lung cancer metastasis treated with spinal stereotactic radiosurgery: case report.Neurosurg Focus. 2017; 42: E10
- Spinal cord metastasis of lung neuroendocrine tumor: magnetic resonance imaging findings.Spine J: Off J North Am Spine Soc. 2016; 16: e17-e18
- Spinal intramedullary metastasis as the first manifestation of lung cancer.Spine J: Off J North Am Spine Soc. 2015; 15: e9-e10
- Spinal metastasis from lung cancer fifteen years after surgery presenting a pseudohemangioma appearance of the vertebra: a case report.Spine. 2010; 35: E86-E89
- Spinal metastasis of occult lung carcinoma causing cauda equine syndrome with lumbar spinal stenosis.Turkish Neurosurg. 2011; 21: 408-412
- The stability of osseous metastases of the spine in lung cancer–a retrospective analysis of 338 cases.Radiat Oncol (London, England). 2013; 8: 200
- Surgical results of metastatic spinal cord compression secondary to non-small cell lung cancer.Spine. 2007; 32: E413-E418
- Surgical treatment of a patient with lung cancer metastasized to the spine with EGFR mutation: a case report.Int J Surgery Case Reports. 2012; 3: 510-512
- Surgical treatment of lung cancer with vertebral invasion.Annals Thoracic Cardiovasc Surg: Off J Assoc Thoracic Cardiovasc Surgeons Asia. 2004; 10: 229-234
- Surgical treatment of upper cervical spine metastases: a retrospective study of 39 cases.World J Surg Oncol. 2017; 15: 21
- A systematic review of evidence on malignant spinal metastases: natural history and technologies for identifying patients at high risk of vertebral fracture and spinal cord compression.Health Technol Assess (Winchester, England). 2013; 17: 1-274
- Total en bloc spondylectomy for lung cancer metastasis to the spine.J Neurosurg Spine. 2010; 13: 414-417
- Total en bloc thoracic and lumbar spondylectomy for non-small cell lung cancer with favorable prognostic indicators: is it merely indicated for solitary spinal metastasis?.J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2014; 56: 431-435
- Total or partial vertebrectomy for lung cancer invading the spine.Annals Med Surgery. 2012; 2016: 1-4
- Treatment of C-2 metastatic tumors with intraoperative transoral or transpedicular vertebroplasty and occipitocervical posterior fixation.J Neurosurgery Spine. 2014; 21: 886-891
- Treatment of cervical vertebral (C1) metastasis of lung cancer with radiotherapy: a case report.Oncol Lett. 2013; 5: 1129-1132
- Treatment of metastatic posterior vertebral body osseous tumors by using a targeted bipolar radiofrequency ablation device: technical note.Radiology. 2014; 273: 261-267
- Treatment of metastatic spinal lesions with a navigational bipolar radiofrequency ablation device: a multicenter retrospective study.Pain Phys. 2014; 17: 317-327
Published online: January 14, 2019
Accepted: January 3, 2019
Received: April 16, 2018
© 2019 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.