- •Metachronous was defined when primary tumor was diagnosed before spine metastasis.
- •The incidence rate of the metachronous group was significantly higher than that of the synchronous group.
- •Patients in the synchronous group survived significantly longer than those in the metachronous group.
- •Among combination treatment modalities, surgery combined with RT was the most common treatment.
This nationwide study of the adult Korean population aimed to compare the survival period between synchronous and metachronous group and to determine recent treatment trends in newly diagnosed spine metastasis patients.
Data were extracted from the Korean Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service database. Patients in this study were newly diagnosed with metastatic spine tumors between July 1, 2011 and June 31, 2014. The metachronous group was defined when the primary tumor was diagnosed prior to the diagnosis of spine metastasis, otherwise patients were considered to be the part of the synchronous group. The survival period was calculated from the date of first diagnosis of spine metastasis.
In a multivariate analysis, patients in the synchronous group survived significantly longer than those in the metachronous group (P < 0.0001). Median overall survival periods were 273.6 days for the metachronous group and 541.4 days for the synchronous group. Conventional radiation therapy (RT) was the most common treatment modality for metastatic spine tumors, whereas surgery combined with RT was a steadily increasing treatment modality during the study period.
Synchronous spine metastasis patients survive significantly longer than metachronous patients. Surgery combined with RT is a recently increasing trend among spine metastasis treatments.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Measuring the burden of disease in Korea.J Korean Med Sci. 2007; 22: 518-523
- A population-based study of spinal metastatic disease in South-East Norway.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2009; 21: 753-759
- A nationwide epidemiological study of newly diagnosed spine metastasis in the adult Korean population.Spine. 2016; 16: 937-945
- Nationwide epidemiology and healthcare utilization of spine tumor patients in the adult Korean population, 2009–2012.Neuro-Oncology Practice. 2015; 2: 93-100
- Synchronous vs. metachronous metastases in adrenocortical carcinoma: an analysis of the Dutch adrenal network.Hormones Cancer. 2016; 7: 336-344
- Colorectal cancer survival: an analysis of patients with metastatic disease synchronous and metachronous with the primary tumor.Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2014; 13: 87-93
- Clinicopathological features and outcome in advanced colorectal cancer patients with synchronous vs metachronous metastases.Br J Cancer. 2010; 103: 159-164
- Synchronous and metachronous lung metastases in patients with colorectal cancer: A 20-year monocentric experience.Exp Ther Med. 2012; 3: 449-456
- Distinguishing synchronous from metachronous manifestation of distant metastases: a prognostic feature in differentiated thyroid carcinoma.Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2016;
- Outcome of patients with malignant glioma and synchronous or metachronous non-central nervous system primary neoplasms.J Neurooncol. 2016; 126: 527-533
- Reoperation rate after surgery for lumbar herniated intervertebral disc disease: nationwide cohort study.Spine. 2013; 38: 581-590
- Phase II multicenter study of adjuvant S-1 for colorectal liver metastasis: survival analysis of N-SOG 01 trial.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2015; 75: 1281-1288
- Angiogenesis in synchronous and metachronous colorectal liver metastases: the liver as a permissive soil.Ann Surg. 2012; 255: 86-94
- The tumour biology of synchronous and metachronous colorectal liver metastases: a systematic review.Clin Exp Metastasis. 2013; 30: 457-470
- Treating patients with ALK-rearranged non-small-cell lung cancer: mechanisms of resistance and strategies to overcome it.Clin Transl Oncol. 2017; 19: 658-666
- Next-generation sequencing survey of biliary tract cancer reveals the association between tumor somatic variants and chemotherapy resistance.Cancer. 2016; 122: 3657-3666
- Silibinin sensitizes chemo-resistant breast cancer cells to chemotherapy.Pharm Biol. 2017; 55: 729-739
- Incidence and prognosis of synchronous and metachronous bilateral breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 4210-4216
- A new strategy for metachronous primary lung cancer: stereotactic body radiation therapy with concurrent chemotherapy.Anticancer Res. 2015; 35: 3103-3107
- SBRT treatment of metachronous small-cell and non-small-cell lung carcinomas in a patient with severe COPD.Cureus. 2015; 7e400
Published online: August 29, 2018
Accepted: August 19, 2018
Received: March 20, 2018
© 2018 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.