- •The cervical spine compensates for operative loss of ROM in ACDF patients.
- •TDR-C patients have greater improvement in total cervical ROM than ACDF patients.
- •TDR-C maintains a better physiologic distribution of ROM than ACDF.
This study was a retrospective radiographic evaluation of patients after cervical total disc replacement (TDR-C) or anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) for one-level cervical disc disease. Our objective was to evaluate (1) total cervical (C1–C7) range of motion (ROM) during dynamic imaging, and (2) relative contribution to total cervical ROM from operative and adjacent levels. Radiographic review of 64 patients who underwent TDR-C (n = 30) or ACDF (n = 34) for one-level cervical disc disease. ROM measurements were performed independently using a vertebral motion analysis system to evaluate total cervical ROM and relative contribution to total ROM from each level (C1–C7) preoperatively and at 12-month follow-up. At follow-up, TDR-C patients had significantly greater improvement in total cervical ROM (+5.67°, 1.15 mm) than ACDF patients (−0.96°, 0.12 mm) (P = 0.001). In TDR-C patients, relative contributions to total cervical ROM from operative and adjacent caudal and cranial levels were statistically equivalent to baseline values. ACDF patients had a significantly reduced contribution to total cervical ROM from the operative level (−22.5%, P < 0.001) and significantly elevated contributions from the adjacent caudal level (+16.5%–21.3%, P < 0.001) and from the adjacent first (20.6% vs. 34.6%, P < 0.001), second (22.9% vs. 30.4%, P < 0.001), and third cranial levels (17.5% vs. 25.6%, P < 0.001). The cervical spine compensates for loss of ROM at the operative level in ACDF patients. However, total cervical ROM increases with TDR-C and maintains physiologic distribution of ROM throughout the cervical spine at 12-month follow-up, potentially reducing the risk for adjacent segment breakdown.
Abbreviations:ACDF (anterior cervical discectomy and fusion), ASD (adjacent segment disease), CSM (cervical spondylotic myeloradiculopathy), ROM (range of motion), TDR-C (cervical total disc replacement), VMA (vertebral motion analysis)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anterior cervical fusion for degenerated or protruded discs: a review of one hundred forty-six patients.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1984; 9: 667-671
- Anterior discectomy and fusion for the management of neck pain.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1999; 24: 2224-2228
- Degenerative cervical spondylosis: clinical syndromes, pathogenesis, and management.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007; 89: 1360-1378
- Radiculopathy and myelopathy at segments adjacent to the site of a previous anterior cervical arthrodesis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1999; 81: 519-528
- Long-term follow-up after interbody fusion of the cervical spine.J Spinal Disord Tech. 2004; 17: 79-85
- Strain on intervertebral discs after anterior cervical decompression and fusion.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1999; 24: 670-675
- Adjacent level intradiscal pressure and segmental kinematics following a cervical total disc arthroplasty: an in vitro human cadaveric model.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005; 30: 1165-1172
- Anterior discectomy and fusion for painful cervical disc disease: a report of 50 patients with an average follow-up of 21 years.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1998; 23: 2047-2051
- Intervertebral disc replacement maintains cervical spine kinetics.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2004; 29: 2809-2814
- Clinical and radiographic analysis of cervical disc arthroplasty compared with allograft fusion: a randomized controlled clinical trial.J Neurosurg Spine. 2007; 6: 198-209
- Comparison of BRYAN cervical disc arthroplasty with anterior cervical decompression and fusion: clinical and radiographic results of a randomized, controlled, clinical trial.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009; 34: 101-107
- Results of the prospective, randomized, controlled multicenter Food and Drug Administration investigational device exemption study of the ProDisc-C total disc replacement versus anterior discectomy and fusion for the treatment of 1-level symptomatic cervical disc disease.Spine J. 2009; 9: 275-286
- Anterior cervical disc arthroplasty (ACDA) versus anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF): a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Spine Surg. 2015; 1: 72-85
- An objective spinal motion imaging assessment (OSMIA): reliability, accuracy and exposure data.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2006; 7: 1
- Reliability of computer-assisted lumbar intervertebral measurements using a novel vertebral motion analysis system.Spine J. 2014; 14: 274-281
- Measurement performance of a computer assisted vertebral motion analysis system.Int J Spine Surg. 2015; 9: 36
- Variability in flexion extension radiographs of the lumbar spine: a comparison of uncontrolled and controlled bending.Int J Spine Surg. 2016; 10: 20
- What are the associative factors of adjacent segment degeneration after anterior cervical spine surgery? Comparative study between anterior cervical fusion and arthroplasty with 5-year follow-up MRI and CT.Eur Spine J. 2013; 22: 1078-1089
- Comparison of the clinical and radiographic results between cervical artificial disc replacement and anterior cervical fusion: a 6-year prospective nonrandomized comparative study.Clin Spine Surg. 2017; 30: E578-586
- Comparison of cervical kinematics, pain, and functional disability between single- and two-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2016; 41: E915-E922
- Differential segmental motion contribution of single- and two-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion.Eur Spine J. 2015; 24: 2857-2865
- Cervical disc arthroplasty with the Prestige LP disc versus anterior cervical discectomy and fusion, at 2 levels: results of a prospective, multicenter randomized controlled clinical trial at 24 months.J Neurosurg Spine. 2017; : 1-15
- Adjacent segment disease perspective and review of the literature.Ochsner J. 2014; 14: 78-83
Published online: September 06, 2018
Accepted: August 21, 2018
Received: February 8, 2018
© 2018 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.