- •EBV associated lymphoma is a recognised complication in immunosuppressed patients.
- •Primary CNS lymphoma is rare, particularly involving the posterior fossa.
- •A myasthenia gravis patient treated with azathioprine developed a rare lymphoma.
We report a case of a 40 year old female who presented with a three month history of headaches with a background of Myasthenia Gravis (MG), treated with azathioprine. MRI brain demonstrated a rim-enhancing lesion in the left posterior fossa. CT scan of the chest abdomen and pelvis revealed no other lesion. The patient was taken for resection of the lesion via left retrosigmoid approach. Histologically the neoplasm was a large B-cell lymphoma, Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) positive, with clonality confirmed by IGH gene rearrangement studies. To the best of our knowledge this is the first case of primary central nervous system (CNS) EBV-positive diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of the posterior fossa in a patient with MG treated with azathioprine.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- EBV-associated lymphoproliferative disorder of CNS associated with the use of mycophenolate mofetil.Neuro-oncology. 2007; 9: 364-369
- Lymphoma and other lymphoproliferative disorders in inflammatory bowel disease: a review.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 28: 24-30
- Risk of malignancy in myasthenia gravis patients exposed to azathioprine therapy for a median period of 3 years.S Afr Med J = Suid-Afrikaanse tydskrif vir geneeskunde. 2006; 96: 1249-1251
- Primary EBV-positive Hodgkin's lymphoma of the CNS under azathioprine treatment: case report and review of the literature.Strahlenther Onkol: Organ der Deutschen Rontgengesellschaft [et al]. 2014; 190: 847-852
- Primary CNS lymphoma in a patient treated with azathioprine.BMJ Case Rep. 2014; 2014
- Lymphoma in inflammatory bowel disease and treatment decisions.Am J Gastroenterol. 2012; 107: 964-970
- Risk of lymphoma in patients with ulcerative colitis treated with thiopurines: a nationwide retrospective cohort study.Gastroenterology. 2013; 145e3
- Primary central nervous system lymphoma: results of a pilot and phase II study of systemic and intraventricular chemotherapy with deferred radiotherapy.J Clin Oncol: Offic J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 4489-4495
Published online: August 23, 2018
Accepted: August 12, 2018
Received: January 12, 2018
© 2018 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.