- •The miR-93 levels in plasma and neutrophil were evidently reduced in AIS patients.
- •Neutrophil miR-93 levels were positively correlated with the Barthel Index 7 days after stroke.
- •MiR-93 levels in plasma and neutrophil of AIS patients were negatively correlated with the expression of TNF-α and IL-10.
- •MiR-93 treatment decreased the OGD–induced proliferation of BV2 microglial cells.
The present study evaluated the diagnostic and predictive potential of microRNA-93 in acute ischemic stroke (AIS) patients within 6 h of stroke onset and its regulation on microglial inflammation in vitro. Our results showed that the miR-93 levels in plasma and neutrophil detected by real-time PCR were evidently reduced in AIS patients, and Pearson's correlation analysis showed that miR-93 levels in plasma and neutrophils had a significant positive linear correlation. Moreover, miR-93 levels in plasma and neutrophils of stroke patients at time of admission were not correlated with infarct volume and NIHSS (National Institute of Health stroke scale) scores at admission, but neutrophil miR-93 levels were positively correlated with the Barthel Index 7 days after stroke. Importantly, miR-93 levels in plasma and neutrophil of AIS patients were negatively correlated with the expression of TNF-α and IL-10. Furthermore, in vitro treatment with miR-93 agomir decreased the OGD (Oxygen and glucose deprivation)–induced proliferation of BV2 microglial cells tested by Flow cytometry. We demonstrated that miR-93 in blood has a potential to facilitate the diagnosis and prediction of neurological outcomes of acute ischemic stroke, and is involved in inflammation possibly through targeting the proliferation of microglia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Stroke death rate plateaus.JAMA. 2017; 318: 1751
- Diagnosis of lacunar infarcts within 6 hours of onset by clinical and CT criteria versus MRI.J Neuroimaging. 2008; 18: 66-72
- The microRNA spectrum in 12 body fluids.Clin Chem. 2010; 56: 1733-1741
- Myeloid cells as therapeutic targets in neuroinflammation after stroke: specific roles of neutrophils and neutrophil-platelet interactions.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2018; 21 ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1177/0271678X18795789
- MicroRNA-25 negatively regulates cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury-induced cell apoptosis through Fas/FasL pathway.J Mol Neurosci: MN. 2016; 58: 507-516
- Expression of microRNA-93 and interleukin-8 during pseudomonas aeruginosa-mediated induction of proinflammatory responses.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2014; 50: 1144-1155
- MicroRNA-93 regulates NRF2 expression and is associated with breast carcinogenesis.Carcinogenesis. 2013; 34: 1165-1172
- 3,3'-diindolylmethane ameliorates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by promoting cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in activated T cells through microRNA signaling pathways.J Pharmacol Exp Therap. 2014; 350: 341-352
- Microarray based analysis of microRNA expression in rat cerebral cortex after traumatic brain injury.Brain Res. 2009; 1284: 191-201
- Expression of miRNAs and their cooperative regulation of the pathophysiology in traumatic brain injury.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7e39357
- Elevated serum miR-93, miR-191, and miR-499 are noninvasive biomarkers for the presence and progression of traumatic brain injury.J Neurochem. 2016; 137: 122-129
- Transient focal ischemia induces extensive temporal changes in rat cerebral microRNAome.J Cereb Blood Flow Metabol. 2009; 29: 675-687
- MicroRNA-93 downregulation ameliorates cerebral ischemic injury through the Nrf2/HO-1 defense pathway.Neurochem Res. 2016; 41: 2627-2635
- Guidelines for the prevention of stroke in patients with stroke and transient ischemic attack: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2014; 45: 2160-2236
- Intracranial area: a validated method for estimating intracranial volume.J Neuroimag. 2005; 15: 76-78
- Three dysregulated microRNAs in serum as novel biomarkers for gastric cancer screening.Med Oncol. 2014; 31: 298
- Dynamic change of neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio and hemorrhagic transformation after thrombolysis in stroke.J Neuroinflam. 2016; 13: 199
- MicroRNA expression in early mycosis fungoides is distinctly different from atopic dermatitis and advanced cutaneous T-cell lymphoma.Anticancer Res. 2014; 34: 7207-7217
- Regulation of IL-8 gene expression in gliomas by microRNA miR-93.BMC Cancer. 2015; 15: 661
- MicroRNA-93 inhibits inflammatory cytokine production in LPS-stimulated murine macrophages by targeting IRAK4.FEBS Lett. 2014; 588: 1692-1698
- Multiple mechanisms downstream of TLR-4 stimulation allow expression of NKG2D ligands to facilitate macrophage/NK cell crosstalk.J Immunol. 2010; 184: 6901-6909
- MicroRNA-93 alleviates neuropathic pain through targeting signal transducer and activator of transcription 3.Int Immunopharmacol. 2017; 46: 156-162
- MicroRNAs: key players in microglia and astrocyte mediated inflammation in CNS pathologies.Curr Med Chem. 2016; 23: 3528-3546
- MicroRNA-181c exacerbates brain injury in acute ischemic stroke.Aging Dis. 2016; 7: 705-714
- MiRNA-424 protects against permanent focal cerebral ischemia injury in mice involving suppressing microglia activation.Stroke. 2013; 44: 1706-1713
Published online: December 19, 2018
Accepted: December 11, 2018
Received: January 11, 2018
© 2018 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.