- •Lumbar facet joint cysts are an uncommon cause of nerve root compression.
- •Surgical excision is the preferred treatment for symptomatic lumbar synovial cysts.
- •Controversy exists around the need for fusion when excising lumbar synovial cysts.
- •Preoperative grade 1 spondylolisthesis is not an indication for spinal fusion.
- •Lumbar facet joint cyst excision can be safely performed without fusion.
- Lumbar synovial cysts: microsurgical treatment and outcome in 40 cases: review and critical analysis of the literature.Spine Neurosurg. 2014, 2014.;
- Surgical management of low back pain.Med J Aust. 2016; 204: 299-300
- Quality of life in South Australia as measured by the SF12.Health Status Questionnaire. 2004;
- Leibrock LG: Patient outcome after resection of lumbar juxtafacet cysts.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2001; 26: 969-972
- Management of lumbar spine juxtafacet cysts.World Neurosurg. 2012; 77: 141-146
- Lumbar synovial cysts: a review of diagnosis, surgical management, and outcome assessment.J Spinal Disord Tech. 2004; 17: 321-325
- Lumbar synovial cysts of the spine: an evaluation of surgical outcome.J Spinal Disord Tech. 2005; 18: 127-131
- Surgical management of spinal synovial cysts: a series of 23 patients and systematic analysis of the literature.J Spinal Disord Tech. 2015; 28: 211-217
- Microsurgical excision without fusion as a safe option for resection of synovial cyst of the lumbar spine: long-term follow-up in mono-institutional experience.Neurosurg Rev. 2012; 35 (discussion 253): 245-253
- Reliability, validity, and responsiveness of the short form 12-item survey (SF-12) in patients with back pain.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2003; 28: 1739-1745
- Surgical evaluation and management of lumbar synovial cysts: the Mayo Clinic experience.J Neurosurg. 2000; 93: 53-57
- Lumbar synovial cysts.J Surg Orthopaedic Adv. 2012; 21: 232-236
- Retrospective study of 77 patients harbouring lumbar synovial cysts: functional and neurological outcome.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2006; 148 (discussion 54): 47-54
- Synovial cysts of the spine.Neurosurgery. 1988; 22: 642-647
- A series of 60 juxtafacet cysts: clinical presentation, the role of spinal instability, and treatment.J Neurosurg. 1996; 85: 560-565
- Factors associated with recurrent back pain and cyst recurrence after surgical resection of one hundred ninety-five spinal synovial cysts: analysis of one hundred sixty-seven consecutive cases.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010; 35: 1044-1053