- •The hormone levels in the HPG axis were abnormal in migraineurs.
- •The change of sex hormones had a significant correlation with the level of disability caused by the migraine.
- •The relationship between hormone levels and migraine related clinical characteristic was more apparent in female migraineur.
Abbreviations:CGRP (calcitonin gene related peptide), E2 (Estrogen), FP (follicular phase), GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), HPG (hypothalamus-pituitary-gonadal), LH (luteinizing hormone), NO (nitric oxide), PRG (Progesterone), To (Testosterone), VAS (visual analogue scale), CSD (cortical spreading depression), fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging), FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), GnRH (gonadotropin-releasing hormone), LP (luteal phase), MIDAS (Migraine Disability Assessment questionnaire), PMP (postmenopausal phase), PRL (prolactin), TTH (tension-type headache)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
- The prevalence and burden of primary headaches in China: a population-based door-to-door survey.Headache. 2012; 52: 582-591
- Her versus his migraine: multiple sex differences in brain function and structure.Brain J Neurol. 2012; 135: 2546-2559
- Female reproductive steroids and neuronal excitability.Neurol Sci Off J Ital Neurol Soc Ital Soc Clin Neurophysiol. 2011; 32: S31-35
- Characteristics of menstrual vs nonmenstrual migraine: a post hoc, within-woman analysis of the usual-care phase of a nonrandomized menstrual migraine clinical trial.Headache. 2010; 50: 528-538
- Menstrual and nonmenstrual migraines differ in women with menstrually-related migraine.Cephalalgia Int J Headache. 2010; 30: 1187-1194
- The effect of pregnancy and parity on headache prevalence: the Head-HUNT study.Headache. 2009; 49: 851-859
- Lifetime prevalence and correlates of migraine among women in a pacific northwest pregnancy cohort study.Headache. 2014; 54: 675-685
- Testosterone pellet implants and migraine headaches: a pilot study.Maturitas. 2012; 71: 385-388
- High prolactin levels as a worsening factor for migraine.J Headache Pain. 2006; 7: 83-89
The International Classification of Headache Disorders. 2nd ed. Cephalalgia: An international journal of headache. 2004;24 Suppl 1:9–160.
- Relationship between high prolactin levels and migraine attacks in patients with microprolactinoma.J Headache Pain. 2008; 9: 103-107
- Prolactin receptor in regulation of neuronal excitability and channels.Channels (Austin, Tex). 2014; 8: 193-202
- Androgenic suppression of spreading depression in familial hemiplegic migraine type 1 mutant mice.Ann Neurol. 2009; 66: 564-568
- Do androgens play a beneficial role in the regulation of vascular tone? Nongenomic vascular effects of testosterone metabolites.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010; 298: H1301-1307
- Beneficial effects of testosterone therapy in women measured by the validated Menopause Rating Scale (MRS).Maturitas. 2011; 68: 355-361
- Positive effects of the progestin desogestrel 75 mug on migraine frequency and use of acute medication are sustained over a treatment period of 180 days.J Headache Pain. 2015; 16: 522
- Low-dose progestin-releasing contraceptives are associated with a higher pain threshold in healthy women.Fertil Steril. 2015; 104: 1182-1189
- Mechanisms of pain modulation by sex hormones in migraine.Headache. 2011; 51: 905-922
- Reduced trigeminovascular cyclicity in patients with menstrually related migraine.Neurology. 2015; 84: 125-131
- Sex hormones in women with and without migraine: Evidence of migraine-specific hormone profiles.Neurology. 2016; 87: 49-56
- Modulation of nociceptive threshold by combined hormonal contraceptives in women with oestrogen-withdrawal migraine attacks: a pilot study.J Headache Pain. 2016; 17: 70
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor-estrogen interactions in the hippocampal mossy fiber pathway: implications for normal brain function and disease.Neuroscience. 2013; 239: 46-66
- Estrogen synthesis and signaling pathways during aging: from periphery to brain.Trends Molecul Med. 2013; 19: 197-209
- Contribution of estrogen receptors alpha and beta in the brain response to traumatic brain injury.J Neurosurg. 2013; 119: 353-361
- Effective treatment of severe menstrual migraine headaches with gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist and “add-back” therapy.Fertil Steril. 1997; 67: 390-393
- Sex steroid regulation of kisspeptin circuits.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2013; 784: 275-295
- Estrogen-growth factor interactions and their contributions to neurological disorders.Headache. 2008; 48: S77-89
Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 301 acute and chronic diseases and injuries in 188 countries, 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet (London, England). 2015;386:743–800.
- Sex-related differences in epidemiological and clinic-based headache studies.Headache. 2011; 51: 843-859
- Impact of migraine on patients and their families: the Migraine And Zolmitriptan Evaluation (MAZE) survey–Phase III.Curr Med Res Opin. 2004; 20: 1143-1150