- •Migraine is associated with photophobia, an abnormal intolerance to light.
- •Light stimulates intrinsically photosensitive retinal ganglion cells (IPRGCs).
- •We designed an optical notch filter to reduce direct stimulation of IPRGCs.
- •Our objective was to determine if wearing the filter could reduce migraine impact.
- •Thin-film optical notch filters may be useful in treating chronic migraine.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The use of questions to determine the presence of photophobia and phonophobia during migraine.Headache. 2008; 48: 395-397https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4610.2007.00920.x
- Photophobia and phonophobia in migraineurs between attacks.Headache. 1997; 37: 492-495
- A controlled study of visual symptoms and eye strain factors in chronic headache.Headache. 1989; 29: 523-527
- Fluorescent lighting, headaches and eyestrain.Light Res Technol. 1989; 21: 11-18
- The use of tinted glasses in childhood migraine.Headache. 1991; 31: 533-536
- FL-41 tint improves blink frequency, light sensitivity, and functional limitations in patients with benign essential blepharospasm.Ophthalmology. 2009; 116: 997-1001https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2008.12.031
- FMRI evidence that precision ophthalmic tints reduce cortical hyperactivation in migraine.Cephalalgia. 2011; 31: 925-936https://doi.org/10.1177/0333102411409076
- Shedding light on photophobia.J Neuroophthalmol. 2012; 32: 68-81https://doi.org/10.1097/WNO.0b013e3182474548
- A neural mechanism for exacerbation of headache by light.Nat Neurosci. 2010; 13: 239-245https://doi.org/10.1038/nn.2475
- A broad role for melanopsin in nonvisual photoreception.J Neurosci. 2003; 23: 7093-7106
- Melanopsin and rod-cone photoreceptive systems account for all major accessory visual functions in mice.Nature. 2003; 424: 76-81https://doi.org/10.1038/nature01761
- The melanopic sensitivity function accounts for melanopsin-driven responses in mice under diverse lighting conditions.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e53583https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0053583
- Assessing the impact of migraine.Curr Med Res Opin. 2001; 17: 298-309
- What is a clinically relevant change on the HIT-6 questionnaire? An estimation in a primary-care population of migraine patients.Cephalalgia. 2014; 34: 29-36https://doi.org/10.1177/0333102413497599
- Migraine–current understanding and treatment.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 257-270
- Photic memory for executive brain responses.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014; 111: 6087-6091https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1320005111
- Melanopsin bistability: a fly’s eye technology in the human retina.PLoS One. 2009; 4: e5991https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0005991
- Tinted spectacles and visually sensitive migraine.Cephalalgia. 2002; 22: 711-719