Infliximab, a tumor necrosis factor-alpha antagonist, is used to treat many inflammatory diseases. Various forms of demyelinating neuropathies have been reported as neurological complications associated with infliximab use. There have been few reports of pure sensory neuropathy associated with infliximab. We report the clinical, electrophysiological, and pathological findings of a patient with subacute sensory polyradiculopathy 1 month after infliximab therapy for psoriasis vulgaris. Immune-mediated pathogenesis was suggested by positive anti-ganglioside antibodies and rapid response to intravenous immunoglobulin. This is the first reported case of sensory polyradiculopathy with positive anti-ganglioside antibodies following infliximab therapy. Our findings suggest the clinical importance of immunological investigations and treatment in demyelinating neuropathies following infliximab therapy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Neurological adverse events associated with anti-tumor necrosis factor α treatment.J Neurol. 2010; 257: 1421-1431
- Monoclonal antibody therapy-associated neurological disorders.Nat Rev Neurol. 2011; 7: 165-172
- Optic neuritis occurring with anti-tumour necrosis factor alpha therapy.Ann Rheum Dis. 2007; 66: 1255-1258
- Lewis-Sumner syndrome associated with infliximab therapy in rheumatoid arthritis.Muscle Nerve. 2008; 38: 1318-1325
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha antagonists and neuropathy.Muscle Nerve. 2008; 37: 281-292
- Guillain-Barre and Miller Fisher syndromes occurring with tumor necrosis factor alpha antagonist therapy.Arthritis Rheum. 2006; 54: 1429-1434
- Neuropathy resembling CIDP in patients receiving tumor necrosis factor-alpha blockers.Neurology. 2005; 64: 1468-1470
- Multifocal motor neuropathy during treatment with infliximab.J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2005; 10: 386-387
- Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy associated with tumor necrosis factor-alpha antagonists.Muscle Nerve. 2010; 41: 723-727
- Isolated motor conduction block associated with infliximab.J Neurol. 2012; 259: 1758-1760
- Neurological complications of infliximab.J Rheumatol. 2006; 33: 1018-1020
- Peripheral neuropathy in two patients with rheumatoid arthritis receiving infliximab treatment.Clin Rheumatol. 2007; 26: 258-260
- Anti-ganglioside complex antibodies associated with severe disability in GBS.J Neuroimmunol. 2007; 182: 212-218
- Chronic immune sensory polyradiculopathy: a possibly treatable sensory ataxia.Neurology. 2004; 63: 1662-1669
- In vivo neutralization of TNF-alpha promotes humoral autoimmunity by preventing the induction of CTL.J Immunol. 2001; 167: 6821-6826
Accepted: December 10, 2012
Received: August 12, 2012
© 2013 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.