Intracranial germinoma is most commonly found in the pineal and suprasellar regions. The medulla oblongata and fourth ventricle are rare sites of primary germinoma, with only 12 previous patients reported, all from the Far East. To our knowledge, we report the first patient from Europe. A 25-year-old female of Afro-Caribbean origin presented with several weeks of worsening migraines, dizziness, tachycardia and veering to the right whilst walking. MRI revealed a lesion in the fourth ventricle, which was treated with surgical debulking and post operative radiotherapy. Two months following completion of radiotherapy, MRI showed almost complete resolution of the enhancing disease within the primary tumour area and no intraspinal pathological enhancement. This patient highlights the importance of considering germinoma in the differential diagnosis of all medullary masses with extension into the fourth ventricle irrespective of geographic location.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pathogenesis of intracranial germ cell tumours reconsidered.J Neurosurg. 1999; 90: 258-264
- Primary medulla oblongata germinoma in a male patient.J Clin Neurosci. 2012; 19: 769-771
- Primary Germinoma in the medulla oblongata.Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo). 2011; 51: 326-329
- Management of primary intracranial germ cell tumours.J Neurooncol. 2010; 96: 143-149
- Primary medulla oblongata germinoma: a case report and review of the literature.J Neurooncol. 2003; 62: 339-342
Accepted: November 18, 2012
Received: November 8, 2012
© 2013 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.