Oncocytic meningiomas have been recently reported as a rare variant of meningiomas. Immunohistochemical analysis shows that neoplastic cells are positive for antimitochondrial antibodies. We report our first patient with oncocytic meningioma, presenting with intratumoral bleeding. A 72-year-old woman suffered from a disturbance of consciousness. A CT scan showed a tumor with intratumoral hemorrhage. An emergency craniotomy was performed and the tumor and hematoma were removed. Examination of the tumor revealed meningothelial cells with oncocytic change. We discuss the clinicopathological considerations of this uncommon variant and review the pertinent literature.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Oncocytic transformation in pituitary adenomas: immunohistochemical analyses of 65 cases.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2004; 128: 776-780
- Oncocytic meningioma.Am J Surg Pathol. 1997; 21: 375-382
- Oncocytic meningioma: a case report.Pathol Res Pract. 2002; 198: 109-113
- Oncocytic meningiomas: cases with benign histopathological features and a favorable clinical course.J Neurosurg. 2006; 105: 736-738
- Oncocytic meningioma: report of a case with progression after radiosurgery.Int J Surg Pathol. 2007; 15: 77-81
- Oncocytic meningioma: study of eight new cases and analysis of 13 reported cases.Pathology. 2010; 42: 587-589
- Spontaneous intracranial meningioma bleeding: clinicopathological features and outcome.J Neurosurg. 2005; 103: 473-484
Accepted: November 13, 2012
Received: September 25, 2012
© 2013 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.