A 70-year-old man presented with left-sided eye pain, impaired vision and restricted left ocular motility, later developing progressive visual decline with development of ataxia and incontinence. Fundoscopic examination revealed significant optic nerve head edema and hemorrhage on the left eye. Neuroimaging revealed an optic pathway mass, extending from the right optic nerve to the chiasm, which enlarged on serial imaging. After surgical excision of the mass, pathology showed a grade III astrocytoma. The patient died 16 months after presentation, which is longer than previously reported for late adult onset optic pathway astrocytoma. We believe that neuroimaging and pathological studies should be performed early in such patients to allow early diagnosis and intervention.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnosis and management of optic nerve glioma.J Clin Neurosci. 2011; 18: 1585-1591
- Unilateral adult malignant optic nerve glioma.Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2004; 242: 741-748
- Optic chiasmatic hypothalamic glioma.Brain Pathol. 1997; 7: 799-806
- Optic pathway glioma: correlation of imaging findings with the presence of neurofibromatosis.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2001; 22: 1963-1969
- Fractionated gamma knife radiosurgery for optic nerve tumors: a technical report.Turkish Neurosurgery. 2010; 20: 241-246
- Optic pathway gliomas: a review.Neurosurg Focus. 2007; 23: E2
- Malignant gliomas of the optic nerve pathways.Am J Ophthalmol. 1980; 89: 284-292
- Remission of refractory neurosarcoidosis treated with brain radiotherapy: a case report and a literature review.Neurologist. 2008; 14: 120-124
- Primary tumours of the optic nerve and its sheath.Eye. 2004; 18: 1026-1037
Accepted: September 11, 2012
Received: August 26, 2012
© 2013 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.