Ganglioneuroma is a rare benign neural crest tumour, located usually in the posterior mediastinum and retroperitoneum. It tends to acquire significant size before symptoms or clinical signs become apparent. We report a 19-year-old female who underwent excision of a pelvisacral ganglioneuroma via a Pfannenstiel incision, after an abdominopelvic CT scan for investigation of left iliac fossa pain and menorrhagia detected a pelvic mass. This report highlights the importance of complete surgical excision of these lesions and the collaboration of multiple surgical units in managing these often large, variably located tumours.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ganglioneuroma of the Internal Auditory Canal – A Case Report.Audiol Neurotol. 2007; 12: 160-164
- Ganglioneuroma of the neck, masquerading as a goiter.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2003; 29: 929-930
- Ganglioneuroma of the neck.Ear Nose Throat J. 2002; 81: 435
- Ganglioneuroma of parapharyngeal region.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2001; 125: 1217-1218
- Spinal ganglioneuroma mimicking adolescent idiopathic scoliosis.Pediatr Neurosurg. 2005; 41: 216-219
- Ganglioneuromatosis: An unusual cause of ileal stricture mimicking Crohn’s disease.Dig Dis Sci. 2007; 52: 1806-1809
- Coexistence of an adrenocortical carcinoma with an abdominal ganglioneuroma in a child.Pediatr Radiol. 1998; 28: 329-331
- Ganglioneuroma of the parapharyngeal space in a pediatric patient.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001; 124: 702-704
- Headache as an unusual presenting symptom of retropharyngeal ganglioneuroma.Acta Otolaryngol. 2002; 122: 565-568
- Ganglioneuroma: primary tumor or maturation of a suspected neuroblastoma?.Eur Spine J. 2006; 15: 363-365
- Ganglioneuroblastoma and ganglioneuroma in association with neurofibromatosis type 1: Report of three cases.J Child Neurol. 1998; 13: 356-358
- Adrenal tumours with late enhancement on CT and MRI.Abdom Imaging. 2007; 32: 515-518
- Cervical ganglioneuroma: report of a case.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001; 124: 115-116
- Thoracoscopic removal of neurogenic mediastinal tumors.Surg Endosc. 2004; 18: 1380-1383
Accepted: February 24, 2009
Received: February 19, 2009
© 2009 Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.