We report a 64-year-old male who presented to our department in 2007 with bitemporal hemianopia secondary to a large recurrent pituitary prolactinoma in the sellar region and metastatic deposits elsewhere in his neuraxis. He underwent a transphenoidal excision of the large pituitary adenoma which was uncomplicated, although he did suffer from diabetes insipidus post-operatively. He had initially been diagnosed with prolactinoma some years before and had undergone multiple craniotomies to debulk recurrent metastatic lesions. As the patient had already undergone radiotherapy in the past, a novel approach to adjuvant therapy was necessary and he was started on a course of oral chemotherapy, temozolomide, with good results.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Temozolomide: a review of its discovery, chemical properties, pre-clinical development and clinical trials.Cancer Treat Rev. 1997; 23: 35-61
- Temozolomide in the treatment of an invasive prolactinoma resistant to dopamine agonists.Pituitary. 2007; 10: 81
- Malignant prolactinoma: a case report and review of the literature.Surg Neurol. 1999; 51: 47-54
- Carcinomas of the pituitary: definition and review of the literature.Gen Diagn Pathol. 1995; 141: 81-92
- Metastatic prolactinoma: case report with immunohistochemical assessment for p53 and Ki-67 antigens.Arquivos de Neuropsiquiatria. 2005; 63: 864-869
- Malignant prolactinoma: a case report and review of the literature.Eur J Endocrinol. 2006; 155: 523-534
- Patterns of gene expression in pituitary carcinomas and adenomas analysed by high-density oligonucleotide arrays, reverse transcriptase quantitative PCR and protein expression.Endocrine. 2006; 29: 435-444
- Pathogenesis of prolactinomas.Pituitary. 2005; 8: 7-15
- Metastatic prolactinoma: effect of octreotide, cabergoline, carboplatin and etoposide; immunocytochemical analysis of proto-oncogene expression.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997; 82: 2962-2965
- Long-term response of pituitary carcinoma to temozolomide. Report of two cases.J Neurosurg. 2006; 105: 621-626
- Temozolomide therapy in a man with an aggressive prolactin-secreting pituitary neoplasm: morphological findings.Hum Pathol. 2007; 38: 526
- The Chemotherapy Source Book. Vol. 308. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore1997 2nd edition.
Accepted: May 17, 2009
Received: February 18, 2009
© 2009 Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.