Up to 20% of patients with behavioural variants of frontotemporal dementia (FTD) also have motor neuron disease (MND); conversely, this comorbidity is rare in patients with language variants of FTD. A few patients have been reported with semantic dementia (SD) combined with MND. However, these patients demonstrated the clinical features of MND in the advanced stage. We report a patient with SD who also demonstrated MND symptoms in an earlier stage of the disease. A 61-year-old man visited our memory disorder clinic as a result of language disturbance and dysarthria of 8 months duration and facial recognition impairment of 3 months duration. Neuropsychological tests revealed anomic aphasia, prosopagnosia, and decreased semantic fluency. A brain MRI revealed significant atrophies localized in both anterior temporal lobes with a greater prominence on the right side. Clinical examination and electrophysiological studies confirmed a diagnosis of MND 17 months after the onset of the disease.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The pathological basis of semantic dementia.Brain. 2005; 128: 1984-1995
- Frontotemporal lobar degeneration with ubiquitin pathology: an autopsy case presenting with semantic dementia and upper motor neuron signs with a clinical course of 19 years.Acta Neuropathol (Berl). 2006; 112: 739-749
- Frontotemporal lobar degeneration: a consensus on clinical diagnostic criteria.Neurology. 1998; 51: 1546-1554
- The natural history of temporal variant frontotemporal dementia.Neurology. 2005; 64: 1384-1390
- Behavioral disorders in the frontal and temporal variants of frontotemporal dementia.Neurology. 2004; 62: 742-748
- Structural anatomy of empathy in neurodegenerative disease.Brain. 2006; 129: 2945-2956
- Morphometrical reappraisal of motor neuron system of Pick’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis with dementia.Acta Neuropathol (Berl). 2002; 104: 21-28
Accepted: May 4, 2009
Received: December 2, 2008
© 2009 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.