Startle epilepsy is provoked by unexpected sensory stimuli, mainly auditory, and reveals subsequent tonic posturing of the limbs. We present a case of intractable startle epilepsy with infantile hemiplegia and discuss the indications for a hemispherotomy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Startle provoked epileptic seizures: features in 19 patients.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1996; 61: 151-156
- Startle and its disorders.Neurophysiol Clin. 2006; 36: 357-364
- Startle epilepsy with infantile heiplegia: Report of two cases improved by surgery.Epilepsia. 2006; 39: 93-98
- A case of startle epilepsy and SSMA seizures documented with subdural recordings.Epilepsia. 1999; 40: 1031-1035
- Proven startle-provoked epileptic seizures in childhood: semiologic and electrophysiologic variability.Epilepsia. 1999; 47: 1050-1058
- Intractable reflex audiogenic epilepsy successfully treated by peri-insular hemispherotomy.Seizure. 2004; 13: 486-490
- Advances in Neurology. vol. 57. Raven Press, New York1992 (p. 185)
- Startle-induced epileptic seizures.Epilepsia. 1984; 25: 712-720
- Effectiveness of clonazepan in startle-induced seizures.Epilepsia. 1979; 20: 555-561
- Use of clobazam in certain forms of status epilepticus and in startle-induced epileptic seizures.Epilepsia. 1986; 27: S18-S26
- Hemiparetic cerebral palsy and startle epilepsy.Rev de Neurol. 2004; 38 ([in Spanish]): 123-127
- Functional hemispherectomy for treatment of epilepsy associated with hemiplegia: rationale, indications, results, and comparison with callosotomy.Ann Neurol. 1988; 24: 27-34
Accepted: March 11, 2009
Received: January 23, 2009
© 2009 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.