A 51-year-old woman with bone wax–induced osteohypertrophy presented with exophthalmos 9 years after a craniotomy for a right internal carotid bifurcation aneurysm. CT scans revealed thickening of the frontotemporal bone flap and surrounding bone, thickening of the upper and lateral orbital walls, and a limited intraorbital cavity. Intraoperative findings revealed residual bone wax under the bone flap, grayish-white discoloration of the flap, and degeneration of the temporal muscle. Pathological examination revealed granulation and osteogenesis due to a foreign body. To our knowledge, this is the first report of bone wax–induced hyperostosis leading to exophthalmos.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Effects of bone wax on rabbit cranial bone lesions.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 1987; 15: 63-67
- Foreign body reactions and an associated histological artifact due to bone wax.Br J Biomed Sci. 1994; 51: 14-17
- Foreign-body reaction to bone wax. Report of a case.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1984; 58: 98-100
- Bone wax as a risk factor for surgical site infection following neurospinal surgery.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2004; 25: 346-348
- Effects of bone wax on bacterial clearance.Surgery. 1981; 89: 206-209
- Bone-wax granuloma after femoral neck osteoplasty.Can J Surg. 2008; 51: 58-60
- Bone wax as a cause of foreign body granuloma in the cerebellopontine angle. Case illustration.J Neurosurg. 2000; 92: 362
- Reaction of the human tibia to bone wax.Clin Orthop. 1984; 182: 293-296
- A surgical complication: allergic reaction to bone wax.J Foot Surg. 1980; 19: 152-154
- Adverse effects of bone wax in surgery of the orbit.Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 1996; 12: 121-126
- Surgical bone wax causing epistaxis.J Laryngol Otol. 1996; 110: 267-268
- A retroperitoneal tumor as a late complication of the use of bone wax.Acta Orthop Belg. 2000; 66: 389-391
- Computed tomography of Paget disease of the skull versus fibrous dysplasia.Skeletal Radiol. 1998; 27: 664-672
- Fibrous dysplasia: differential diagnosis from Paget’s disease.Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 2002; 127: 2264-2268
- Complications secondary to the use of standard bone wax in seven patients.J Foot Ankle Surg. 1993; 32: 505-508
Accepted: March 4, 2009
Received: February 15, 2009
© 2009 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.