An abscess arising in a craniopharyngioma is rare, but has potentially high mortality and morbidity. Diagnosis is difficult because clinical and neuroradiological characteristics are not clearly defined. We report a patient with a pituitary abscess concomitant with a craniopharyngioma and discuss the pathophysiological mechanism. We discuss the previous five reports and suggest that abscesses with craniopharyngioma remain challenging clinical entities. We speculate that inflammation is a response to components of the ruptured epithelium of the cyst, thereby providing an explanation of the mechanism of abscess formation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Uber embolishe Prozesse in der Hypophysis.Virchow’s Arch Pathol Anta. 1914; 217: 226-239
- Pituitary abscess: our experience with a case and a review of the literature.Pituitary. 2008; 11: 299-306
- Abscess formation with invasive pituitary adenoma.J Clin Neurosci. 2006; 13: 774-777
- Diagnosis and management of pituitary abscess: a review of twenty-four cases.J Neurosurgery. 2001; 95: 233-241
- Granulomatous change of the pituitary stalk caused by Rathke’s cleft cyst: a case report.No Shinkei Geka. 2003; 31: 1193-1196
- Les abces de l’hypophyse.Rev Oto-Neuro-Ophta. 1956; 128: 494-496
- Considerations sur les abces de l’hypophyse.Neuro-Chirurgie. 1965; 11: 366-371
- Pituitary abscess in a craniopharyngioma.J Neurosurg. 1972; 36: 785-789
- Intrasellar abscess.Neurochirurgia (Stuttg). 1975; 18: 207-213
- Salmonella typhi abscess in a craniopharyngioma: CT and MRI.Neuroradiology. 1994; 36: 35-36
- Pituitary abscess.J Clin Neurosci. 2006; 13: 1038-1041
- Endoscopic treatment of pituitary abscess: two case reports and literature review.Neurosurg Rev. 2008; 31: 237-246
- Case report: MRI and CT in a case of pituitary abscess.Clin Radiol. 1998; 53: 777-779
- CT and MRI findings in primitive pituitary abscess: a case report and review of literature.J Neuroradiol. 1999; 26: 196-199
- Magnetic resonance imaging and computerized tomography images in a case of pituitary abscess.J Endocrinol Investig. 2001; 23: 887-891
- Craniopharyngiomas.Endocr Rev. 2006; 27: 371-397
Accepted: January 4, 2009
Received: August 19, 2008
© 2009 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.