Pituitary apoplexy followed by cerebral infarction is rare. We report a 59-year-old male with a known pituitary macroadenoma who was admitted to our emergency department for treatment of an acute myocardial infarction. He underwent coronary angioplasty and was subsequently treated with aspirin, clopidogrel and full-dose enoxaparin. He developed pituitary apoplexy with bilateral compression of both internal carotid arteries, and infarction of both anterior and middle hemispheres; consequently, he died. This patient illustrates the difficulties of administering aggressive anticoagulative and antiplatelet therapy to patients who have a known pituitary adenoma.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pituitary apoplexy: a review.Neurosurgery. 1984; 14: 363-373
- Hemorrhage, necrosis and apoplexy in pituitary adenomas.Surg Neurol. 1982; 18: 181-189
- Classical pituitary apoplexy: clinical features, management and outcome.Clin Endocrinol. 1999; 51: 181-188
- The prevalence of pituitary adenomas: a systematic review.Cancer. 2004; 101: 613-619
- Pituitary apoplexy: its incidence and clinical significance.J Neurosurg. 1981; 55: 187-193
- Bilateral stroke secondary to pituitary apoplexy.J Neurol. 2003; 250: 494-495
- Rare fatal vascular complication of transsphenoidal surgery.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2005; 147: 321-325
- Pituitary apoplexy: an unusual cause of frontal lobe syndrome.Australas Radiol. 2005; 49: 127-131
- Pituitary apoplexy and vasospasm.Surg Neurol. 1983; 20: 391-395
- Pituitary apoplexy as a cause of internal carotid artery occlusion.J Clin Neurosci. 2008; 15: 480-483
- Pituitary apoplexy causing isolated blindness after cardiac bypass surgery.Arch Ophthalmol. 2008; 126: 576-578
- Pituitary apoplexy following laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Acta Neurochir. 2004; 146: 1275-1276
- Pituitary apoplexy in the setting of coronary angiography.J Neuroimaging. 2003; 13: 276-279
- Pituitary macroadenomas: are combination antiplatelet and anticoagulant therapy contraindicated? A case report.J Med Case Reports. 2007; 1: 74
- Post-traumatic pituitary apoplexy–two case reports.Neurol Med Chir. 1999; 39: 36-39
- Apoplexy accompanying pituitary adenoma as a complication of preoperative anterior pituitary function tests.Acta Neurochir. 2007; 149: 557-565
- Pituitary apoplexy during treatment of cystic macroprolactinomas with cabergoline.Pituitary. 2008; 11: 287-292
Accepted: March 5, 2009
Received: January 22, 2009
© 2009 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.