Late stent thrombosis is an infrequent, but severe, complication after implantation of a drug-eluting stent. We report one such patient, a 69-year-old man with intracranial vertebral artery stenosis. He experienced very late stent thrombosis after discontinuation of clopidogrel therapy, about 16 months after the insertion of a Taxus Stent® (Boston Scientific Corporation, Natick, MA, USA). The patient recovered well, with good clinical outcome, after the re-initiation of dual antiplatelet and anticoagulation therapy. No abnormality within the stent was identified on a repeat angiogram taken 4 weeks after treatment re-initiation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A door-to-door survey of intracranial atherosclerosis in Liangbei County, China.Neurology. 2007; 69: 2031-2034
- Apollo stent for symptomatic atherosclerotic intracranial stenosis: study results.Am J Neuroradiol. 2007; 28: 830-834
- Stenting of symptomatic atherosclerotic lesions in the vertebral or intracranial arteries (SSYLVIA): study results.Stroke. 2004; 35: 1388-1392
- Early- and intermediate-term outcomes with drug-eluting stents in high-risk patients with symptomatic intracranial stenosis.Neurosurgery. 2006; 59: 1044-1051
- Drug-eluting stents for the treatment of intracranial atherosclerosis: initial experience and midterm angiographic follow-up.Stroke. 2005; 36: E165-E168
- Comparison of elective stenting of severe vs. moderate intracranial atherosclerotic stenosis.Neurology. 2007; 68: 420-426
- Analysis of 1-year clinical outcomes in the SIRIUS trial: a randomized trial of a sirolimus-eluting stent versus a standard stent in patients at high risk for coronary restenosis.Circulation. 2004; 109: 634-640
- Techniques for intracranial stent navigation in patients with tortuous vessels.Am J Neuroradiol. 2005; 26: 1375-1380
- Incidence, predictors and outcome of thrombosis after successful implantation of drug-eluting stents.JAMA. 2005; 293: 2126-2130
- Clopidogrel use and long-term clinical outcomes after drug-eluting stent implantation.JAMA. 2007; 297: 159-168
- Late stent thrombosis: a nuisance in both bare metal and drug-eluting stents.Circulation. 2007; 115: 1433-1439
Accepted: January 19, 2009
Received: November 19, 2008
© 2009 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.