We report the case of a young male who presented at the age of 34 years with intracranial hemorrhage due to moyamoya disease. He was later diagnosed with hypogonadism and hypopituitarism. Chromosomal evaluation revealed a normal karyotype. The results of further neuroradiological studies led to the diagnosis of empty sella syndrome.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cerebrovascular ‘moyamoya’ disease. Disease showing abnormal net-like vessels in base of brain.Arch Neurol. 1969; 20: 288-299
- Mapping of familial moyamoya disease gene to chromosome 3p24.2-p.26.Am J Hum Genet. 1999; 64: 533-537
- Linkage analysis of moyamoya disease on chromosome 6.J Child Neurol. 2000; 15: 179-182
- Moyamoya disease:a review.Neurol India. 2002; 50: 6-10
- The blood supply of the human pituitary gland.J Anat. 1960; 94: 257-273
- Ischemic chiasmal syndrome and hypopituitarism associated with progressive cerebrovascular occlusive disease.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1984; 5: 367-372
- Intracranial pressure in patients with empty sella syndrome without benign intracranial hypertension.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1982; 45: 209-216
- The “empty” sella turcica - a manifestation of the intrasellar subarachnoid space.Radiology. 1968; 90: 931-941
- Growth failure secondary to moyamoya syndrome.Arch Dis Child. 1990; 65: 232-233
- Hypothalamic pituitary dysfunction associated with moyamoya disease in children.J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 1999; 12: 449-453
- Basal meningoencephalocele, anomaly of optic disc and panhypopituitarism in association with moyamoya disease.Pediatr Neurosurg. 2000; 33: 100-104
- Cerebrospinal fluid pressure and prolactin in empty sella syndrome.Can J Neurol Sci. 1990; 17: 92-94
Accepted: May 4, 2004
Received: October 3, 2003
© 2005 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.