Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) is a generalized disease known to be associated with intracranial aneurysms. Non-aneurysmal intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH) has also been reported in ADPKD. We report a familial clustering of ICH and symptomatic ADPKD. This pedigree had at least six affected family members who suffered from ADPKD, hypertension and non-aneurysmal ICH. The proband demonstrated ADPKD, hypertension and cerebral hemorrhage. To our knowledge, this is the first report of familial ICH in ADPKD, which may have underlying genetic and environmental etiologies.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease.N Engl J Med. 1993; 329: 332-342
- Saccular intracranial aneurysms in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease.J Am Soc Nephrol. 1993; 3: 88-95
- Causes of death in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease.J Am Soc Nephrol. 1995; 5: 2048-2056
- Intracranial hemorrhage in patients with polycystic kidney disease.Stroke. 1990; 21: 291-294
- Stroke in adult polycystic kidney disease.Postgrad Med J. 1992; 68: 735-738
- Mutation of the Alzheimer’s disease amyloid gene in hereditary cerebral hemorrhage, Dutch type.Science. 1990; 248: 1124-1126
- Hereditary cystatin C (gamma-trace) amyloid angiopathy of the CNS causing cerebral hemorrhage.Acta Neurol Scand. 1987; 76: 102-114
- Mutation in cystatin C gene causes hereditary brain hemorrhage.Lancet. 1988; 2: 603-604
- Familial history of stroke and stroke risk.Stroke. 1997; 28: 1908-1912
- Familial clustering of intracerebral hemorrhage: a prospective study in North Carolina.Neuroepidemiology. 2002; 21: 18-21
- Intracranial aneurysms in polycystic kidney disease linked to chromosome 4.J Am Soc Nephrol. 1995; 6: 1670-1673
- Familial clustering of ruptured intracranial aneurysms in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease.Am J Kidney Dis. 2001; 38: 770-776
- Zur lehre von der cystenniere mit besonderer berücksichtigung ihrer hereditä.Betir Pathol Anat. 1904; 35: 445-509
- Über cystennieren bei erwaschsenen.Dtch Z Chir. 1905; 79: 406-507
- Polycystic kidney disease: prospective analysis of non-azotemic patients and family members.Ann Intern Med. 1984; 101: 238-247
- Autosomal dominant polycystic disease: symptoms and clinical findings.Q J Med. 1984; 53: 511-522
- Pathological observations in hypertensive cerebral hemorrhage.J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 1971; 30: 536-550
- Electron microscopic studies of ruptured arteries in hypertensive intracranial hemorrhage.Stroke. 1997; 28: 1-5
- Genetic predisposition to stroke in relatives of hypertensives.Stroke. 2000; 31: 487-492
Accepted: May 31, 2004
Received: October 3, 2003
© 2005 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.