We report a case of rhinocerebral mucormycosis associated with an abscess in the lateral aspect of the pons associated with perineural spread of disease via the trigeminal nerve. Contrast enhanced MRI was useful in depicting the extent of the disease and suggesting perineural spread. A pathological diagnosis of mucormycosis was established by means of rhino-orbital punch biopsy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Neuroscience
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fungal infection of the brain.Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 1999; 1: 57-58
- Rhinocerebral mucormycosis: management and survival after carotid occlusion.Ann Neurol. 1990; 28: 103-107
- MR findings in rhinocerebral mucormycosis.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1989; 13: 878-882
- Textbook of Neuropathology.Second edn. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1991
- Craniofacial mucormycosis: assessment with CT.Radiology. 1986; 160: 207-212
- Rhinocerebral mucormycosis: MR manifestations.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1988; 12: 744-749
- Microsurgical anatomy of the trigeminal nerve.Neurol Res. 1994; 16: 273-283
- Imaging features and clinical significance of perineural spread for extension of head and neck tumors.Radiographics. 1998; 18: 97-110
- MR imaging of the trigeminal ganglion, nerve, and the perineural vascular plexus: Normal appearance and variants with correlation to cadaver specimens.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2003; 24: 1317-1323
- Perineural spread of rhinocerebral mucormycosis.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1996; 17: 114-116
- Isolated pontine infarction due to rhinocerebral mucormycosis.Neuroradiology. 1999; 41: 179-181
- Clinical-radiologic tissues in perineural tumor spread of malignant disease of the extracranial head and neck.Radiographics. 1991; 11: 383-389
- Imaging of perineural tumor spread from palatal carcinoma.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1998; 19: 1417-1422
Lee C. Perineural spread of tumor along the fifth and seventh cranial nerves. E-medicine. <http://www.emedicine.com>; accessed 2003
- CT of perineural tumor extension: pterygopalatine fossa.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1985; 144: 163-169
- Wegener’s granulomatosis involving the pterygopalatine fossa: An unusual case of trigeminal neuropathy.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2002; 23: 312-315
- Perineural spread in a case of sinonasal sarcoidosis: case report.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2001; 22: 1207-1208
- Actinomycotic granuloma of the trigeminal ganglion.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1987; 8: 167-169
Accepted: July 27, 2004
Received: March 19, 2004
© 2005 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.